follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota 86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.


User Tag List
go_a_way1

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2020, 12:23 AM   #4215
hpanju
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Posts: 88
Thanks: 19
Thanked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
If price is a main consideration, then 225/40 or 235/40 will be quite a bit cheaper and have more tires to choose from.

I am not a fan of the Federals. IMO, they are heavy and noisy.

Here are a few tires in the two sizes above, that are less expensive, and get good reviews. I just suggested these tires a few days...

Yokohama ADVAN FLEVA V701 - I have read good things
Sumitomo HTRZ5 - had the HTRZIII in the past, these are suposed to be better
Hankook V12 Evo2 - I am running these , good for the money , very sticky
Thinking about picking up the Hankook V12s as they’re cheap and seem to be good. Do you know the treadwear rating on them by chance? Can’t seem to find it anywhere.
hpanju is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hpanju For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (02-24-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #4216
Vital
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Texas
Posts: 550
Thanks: 173
Thanked 275 Times in 203 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpanju View Post
Thinking about picking up the Hankook V12s as they’re cheap and seem to be good. Do you know the treadwear rating on them by chance? Can’t seem to find it anywhere.
320AA A
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vital For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (02-20-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #4217
dgtotkov
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Drives: 2015 FRS Release Series 1.0
Location: IN
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Fitment Question

Hoping to get expert advice on whether or not this setup will fit on an FRS Release Series 1.0 (came stock with the TRD lowering springs), no other suspension mods currently.


- 18x9.5 Enkei RS05RR

- 255/35/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Any idea if these will fit OK, or if they don't how much rub, etc. ?

Thanks in advance.
dgtotkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #4218
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life
 
Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 13' FR-S, 07' MDX, 06' Ridgeline,
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 5,172
Thanks: 6,442
Thanked 5,046 Times in 2,649 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtotkov View Post
Hoping to get expert advice on whether or not this setup will fit on an FRS Release Series 1.0 (came stock with the TRD lowering springs), no other suspension mods currently.


- 18x9.5 Enkei RS05RR

- 255/35/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Any idea if these will fit OK, or if they don't how much rub, etc. ?

Thanks in advance.
No, at +43 offset the tires will touch the spring perch in the front. MPSS run wide. You would need 18x9.5 wheels with a +35 offset and 245/35/18 tires to fit with just lowering springs. (Even then, the tire would almost touch the spring perch, the front would poke out quite a bit, and because the tire almost touches the spring perch, you can't add any negative camber to tuck the front) The only way to solve this is to install coils.

Enkei RS05RR is offered in a 18x9 +40 that will fit with 245/35/18 on lowering springs. They have less of a concave face than the 18x9.5 though.
__________________
<img src=https://www.ft86club.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2239&pictureid=11508 border=0 alt= />


I LIKE TIRES!
Leonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leonardo For This Useful Post:
Vital (02-25-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #4219
dgtotkov
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Drives: 2015 FRS Release Series 1.0
Location: IN
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Fitment Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
No, at +43 offset the tires will touch the spring perch in the front. MPSS run wide. You would need 18x9.5 wheels with a +35 offset and 245/35/18 tires to fit with just lowering springs. (Even then, the tire would almost touch the spring perch, the front would poke out quite a bit, and because the tire almost touches the spring perch, you can't add any negative camber to tuck the front) The only way to solve this is to install coils.

Enkei RS05RR is offered in a 18x9 +40 that will fit with 245/35/18 on lowering springs. They have less of a concave face than the 18x9.5 though.

Thanks for the quick reply, super helpful!

Looks like I have some thinking to do.. Either budget for coils or go for a thinner wheel & tire combo.

Much appreciated.
dgtotkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #4220
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life
 
Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 13' FR-S, 07' MDX, 06' Ridgeline,
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 5,172
Thanks: 6,442
Thanked 5,046 Times in 2,649 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtotkov View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, super helpful!

Looks like I have some thinking to do.. Either budget for coils or go for a thinner wheel & tire combo.

Much appreciated.
Enkei TS10 18x8.5 +45 will fit nicely with a 245/35/18 MPSS on springs. 245/35/18's are plenty wide. They have a "similar" look as the RS05RR. (well, sort of)
__________________
<img src=https://www.ft86club.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2239&pictureid=11508 border=0 alt= />


I LIKE TIRES!
Leonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:34 PM   #4221
dgtotkov
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Drives: 2015 FRS Release Series 1.0
Location: IN
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fitment Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
Enkei TS10 18x8.5 +45 will fit nicely with a 245/35/18 MPSS on springs. 245/35/18's are plenty wide. They have a "similar" look as the RS05RR. (well, sort of)
Love it, I just found this thread with exact photos of that recommendation on an RS1.0, looks great!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...49#post3303549
dgtotkov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dgtotkov For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #4222
bobbinator
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Drives: 2013 FRS Hot Lava
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 56
Thanks: 12
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I recently bought 18x9.5+45 rims without doing research. Found out that those size won't fit my trd springs and people recommended coilovers. So I ended up buying new coilover and now I read some people saying coilover will need camber plate to make sure the rim doesn't touch the suspension in the front. I just want my car to be 1 inch lower and will the rims rub against the coil? My coilover reuses the oem top hat without camber plate. Not planning on spending any more money on suspension at this time. Thanks
bobbinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #4223
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life
 
Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 13' FR-S, 07' MDX, 06' Ridgeline,
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 5,172
Thanks: 6,442
Thanked 5,046 Times in 2,649 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinator View Post
I recently bought 18x9.5+45 rims without doing research. Found out that those size won't fit my trd springs and people recommended coilovers. So I ended up buying new coilover and now I read some people saying coilover will need camber plate to make sure the rim doesn't touch the suspension in the front. I just want my car to be 1 inch lower and will the rims rub against the coil? My coilover reuses the oem top hat without camber plate. Not planning on spending any more money on suspension at this time. Thanks
Which coils did you get?

You will want some camber in the front. Camber bolts are a very inexpensive way to add some negative camber. I got SPC 81305 camber bolts for $22 shipped on eBay. They are also very easy to install. You will get approximately -1.5 from one set.

As long as you get your toe set to zero when you get your wheel alignment, you won't have any abnormal tire wear. Additionally, the amount of camber you'll get from the camber bolts will match-ish the amount you will end up with in the rear after lowering. This will look great!

Because of the way our suspension works, lowering only adds a noticable amount of camber in the rear.

You will get approximately -2 degrees in the rear from lowering.

After installing everything, you will NEED an alignment. Get one. -1.5 front and what ever natural rear camber you end up with, would be good for DD.

Since you don't care about camber plates, then re-using your OEM tophats is a good plan.



I am about to swap to Pedders tophats that add a bit of camber and caster. They are rubber: so will offer a quieter ride vs the pillow ball camber plates I'm running now. They are an alternative to re-using your oem tophats , without going full on camber plates.

Rear SPC LCA will even out your rear camber if it's uneven. Mine was -1.8 left and -2.2 right after lowering. I drove 60,000 miles with the suspension like this and didn't have any abnormal tire wear. I eventually added LCA to add more negative camber.
__________________
<img src=https://www.ft86club.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2239&pictureid=11508 border=0 alt= />


I LIKE TIRES!
Leonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leonardo For This Useful Post:
bobbinator (03-03-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 10:05 PM   #4224
clomonico21
Junior Member
 
clomonico21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Drives: 15 Scion FR-S
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey any help would be great but i am looking at getting TRD springs and going to be getting some 18x9.5 +35 wheels with a 225/40 front and 235/40 rear, will i rub on suspension or do i need coilovers?
clomonico21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:09 PM   #4225
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life
 
Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 13' FR-S, 07' MDX, 06' Ridgeline,
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 5,172
Thanks: 6,442
Thanked 5,046 Times in 2,649 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clomonico21 View Post
Hey any help would be great but i am looking at getting TRD springs and going to be getting some 18x9.5 +35 wheels with a 225/40 front and 235/40 rear, will i rub on suspension or do i need coilovers?
With those specs, you shouldn't rub.
__________________
<img src=https://www.ft86club.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2239&pictureid=11508 border=0 alt= />


I LIKE TIRES!
Leonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:23 PM   #4226
clomonico21
Junior Member
 
clomonico21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Drives: 15 Scion FR-S
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clomonico21 View Post
Hey any help would be great but i am looking at getting TRD springs and going to be getting some 18x9.5 +35 wheels with a 225/40 front and 235/40 rear, will i rub on suspension or do i need coilovers?
or even 235/40 all around
clomonico21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:42 PM   #4227
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life
 
Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 13' FR-S, 07' MDX, 06' Ridgeline,
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 5,172
Thanks: 6,442
Thanked 5,046 Times in 2,649 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clomonico21 View Post
or even 235/40 all around
Yes, that should work too.
__________________
<img src=https://www.ft86club.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2239&pictureid=11508 border=0 alt= />


I LIKE TIRES!
Leonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #4228
bobbinator
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Drives: 2013 FRS Hot Lava
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 56
Thanks: 12
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I got the megan racing coilovers. I was going to buy the tein flex z but megan came up with crazy discount and it was so cheap that I wouldn't even care if i use it for months and throw them away. lol. I have the SPC camber bolt and was thinking about the LCA but try without it first and see. Do Pedders tophats fit any coilovers?

[QUOTE=Leonardo;3303812]Which coils did you get?
bobbinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbinator For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (03-03-2020)
 
Reply

Tags
fitment, flush, offset, rays volk te37's, rims, rotas, size, spacers, width

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Determining the proper width size of the tire CyberFormula Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 49 05-23-2014 09:11 AM
Correct tire width for each wheel width DarrenDriven Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 10 08-16-2012 02:03 PM
TIRE SIZE CALCULATOR White64Goat Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 6 08-15-2012 02:31 AM
Tire Width vs Wheel Width Synack Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 40 08-12-2012 11:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.