follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #183
Leeky
3S-GTE Junky

Drives: Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi guys. Sorry i havent posted anything new up today - i've been to Toyota MegaWeb - Which was awesome! Walked there and back though which was a big mistake... but did get lots of good holiday photos of Tokyo.

Anyway back to the car.

On Wednesday i will be sure to take many many pictures both inside, outside, underneath and under the bonnet for you. So you have a good idea of what the car is like close up.

Also i wanted to say that my translator is awesome and she didnt pass details on to me. All the details were said to me by people working for Toyota.

Just to confirm, the Toyota 86/GT86 is coming in April for all markets. I cant comment on whether or not this includes Scion/Subaru as the exact words i was given were "Toyota will release the 86 worldwide in April". To which i asked "At the same time?" and he confirmed "Yes, at the same time".

He went on to say "The car will be a very very small production. 1000 units per year. Hand made". Again, he is constantly refering to the Toyota 86/GT86, so this may or may not include cars for Scion/Subaru.

Gearbox wise, he told me it shares the platform with the "LF-A" 100%, not IS-F. BUT i will ask him about this in detail at the show in Wednesday as well as confirm the information on how many units per year and the details on "hand made".

I can tell a lot of people arent happy with this information. But like i said, i will ask again and confirm this info. But for all those who dont believe it... well sorry... i dont care... Im on holiday and im not a reporter but i will try my best to get as much information (and brochures) from the motorshow. There are also 3 videos being uploaded now as we speak, so check my photobucket page! (slow hotel internet) :happy0180:

Last edited by Leeky; 11-28-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Leeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #184
Nostalgia1987

Drives: Subi
Some real life footage of some side ways action of the GT86 at Fuji:

2:43 onwards.
Nostalgia1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #185
Kazama

Drives: avensis d-cat 177hp wagon 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeky View Post
Hi guys. Sorry i havent posted anything new up today - i've been to Toyota MegaWeb - Which was awesome! Walked there and back though which was a big mistake... but did get lots of good holiday photos of Tokyo.

Anyway back to the car.

On Wednesday i will be sure to take many many pictures both inside, outside, underneath and under the bonnet for you. So you have a good idea of what the car is like close up.

Also i wanted to say that my translator is awesome and she didnt pass details on to me. All the details were said to me by people working for Toyota.

Just to confirm, the Toyota 86/GT86 is coming in April for all markets. I cant comment on whether or not this includes Scion/Subaru as the exact words i was given were "Toyota will release the 86 worldwide in April". To which i asked "At the same time?" and he confirmed "Yes, at the same time".

He went on to say "The car will be a very very small production. 1000 units per year. Hand made". Again, he is constantly refering to the Toyota 86/GT86, so this may or may not include cars for Scion/Subaru.

Gearbox wise, he told me it shares the platform with the "LF-A" 100%, not IS-F. BUT i will ask him about this in detail at the show in Wednesday as well as confirm the information on how many units per year and the details on "hand made".

I can tell a lot of people arent happy with this information. But like i said, i will ask again and confirm this info. But for all those who dont believe it... well sorry... i dont care... Im on holiday and im not a reporter but i will try my best to get as much information (and brochures) from the motorshow. There are also 3 videos being uploaded now as we speak, so check my photobucket page! (slow hotel internet) :happy0180:
Great work! very nice of u to take time to feed the forum on ure holiday.like u say u are not a reporter at work
Kazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #186
spin9k

Drives: RX-8
for all you have done, are doing, and have plans for doing! You're sure to be enshrined somehow, at least on this forum when you return from the land of the rising sun aka Toyotaland! Enjoy the remaining festivities....

... but I will say those numbers are dreadful. Let's hope Subaru has better news for everyone whenever they decide to tell us anything.
spin9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #187
spin9k

Drives: RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgia1987 View Post
Some real life footage of some side ways action of the GT86 at Fuji:

2:43 onwards.
Bizzaro world! That car appeared to have very skinny tires, hopefully not the stock ones. If that's how it ends up handling, woooa, not very stable, maybe exciting, but I prefer my tires stay solidly gripping the track, not fishtailing all over on every turn (that the camera car had no such problem with).
spin9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #188
speed-wiz

Drives: MR2
Quote:
I think this somewhat clarifies that 1000 units annually refers to Japan.

Quote:
Im on holiday and im not a reporter
Good point. You aren't obligated to do any of this for us. And what you do is much appreciated. Have a great vacation!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #189
Infernal
NO FI?! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: BMW e92 330D
Thanks for relaying the info you get to us Leeky, it's much appreciated
Old 11-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #190
Nambo

Drives: '12 BRZ [CBS]
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Leeky any information you can share is greatly appreciated, enjoy your trip!
Nambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #191
Andy

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Leeky THANK YOU FOR POSTING

And to everyone else, if they say 1000 per year, Sorry, but DEAL WITH IT! If they say 1000 per year for Toyota, that means 1000 per year, for Toyota, globally!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #192
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
1000 units / year would significantly compromise the aftermarket for these cars. With such an emphasis of this car being a blank canvas, I really don't think they will limit it that much.

From one side, it's cool.. it will never be a civic for example... but at the same time, it would kill everything that the car is made for, and limit the audience that it was made for as well. It will also never pay for itself.
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #193
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
If Scion gets a whole 1000 then Subaru is going to clean up.
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #194
Andy

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
1000 units / year would significantly compromise the aftermarket for these cars. With such an emphasis of this car being a blank canvas, I really don't think they will limit it that much.

From one side, it's cool.. it will never be a civic for example... but at the same time, it would kill everything that the car is made for, and limit the audience that it was made for as well. It will also never pay for itself.
I completly agree with that and hope they are going to make them to demand, but I'm not Toyota(Toyoda) so its not up to me. In my view it looks to me that Toyota view this car as a marketing/publicity project in order to show that Toyota's DO have some emotion and soul.

As much as I would love them to start building cars like the SW20 Turbo, ST165/185/205's and JZA80 twin turbo. Unfortunatly I can't see them doing it. They are there for the mass market and to make profit, and with current legislation all over the world really pushing economy over everything else there's (relatively) just not much of a market for sports cars.

If they are only selling at break even point, then WHY make more than 1000? They are a car company there to make a profit, this improves their image and will get people through the doors of their salesrooms and sell some of their other cars.

To those tho think they'll get a discount by playing dealers off against each other, or by haggling, GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ARSE! It will not happen on a limited production car that is being sold a break even point.

The really laughable thing is, most the people on the internet talking about this car, either bigging it up, or slating it will never buy on, and most certainly will not have the driving ability to be able to drive it properly!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #195
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post

I agree.

In addition, if this talk of 1000 units and handmade are true, I might have underestimated the availability of this car (number wise and cost wise). If that is the case, will be severely disappointed and have to start looking elsewhere.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #196
yayforaddison

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanks for the update buddy
yayforaddison is offline   Reply With Quote