follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
kilrb

Drives: '13 Black BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Having my new BRZ shipped; leave the factory wrapping on?

I have a BRZ Premium that's supposed to arrive in Denver on Monday, and I live in Kansas City. I was going to fly out for $80 and drive the car back, but I've had a change of heart due to reservations on doing a highway break in (pain in the butt varying rpm's on a straight 75mph highway), and concerns on weather. The dealer says he can send it on a transport that they use all the time for about $500, which sounds reasonable. The question I have is, should I have them leave the protective film that comes on the car from the factory? I have no idea how hard that stuff is to get off. Anyone done this before? Do they pretty well wrap the car's exterior? Should I ask the dealer for a small discount for them not having to remove the film and detail the car?
kilrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Umbie

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Interesting predicament... I would imagine the protective film is not difficult to remove. Also, detailing the car yourself may be advantageous since you don't have to trust Joe Shmoe at the dealer to do it. However, I don't know how willing the dealer will be to give you a discount for bypassing the removal of the film and detailing. I would call the dealer and see if this is even a possibility.

As an alternative option, you could fly out to Denver and take back roads back to KC. It would be a lengthy trip, but I would imagine there are some great routes you could take for your new baby's maiden voyage.

I would avoid having them detail the car and then throw it on a trailer to ship it to you. The price is reasonable, but who knows if your car will arrive in top-notch condition.
Umbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Umbie For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (02-22-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I removed my own, it's not hard.

One drawback is that it leaves some glue residue along the edges of the plastic wrap. Easy fix is to get yourself some 3M adhesive remover (paint safe) and remove it on your own. It comes off very easily with the correct product. Make sure you wash the car first before trying to remove the adhesive.

You will also have to wash it yourself; dealers do a decontamination process to get rid of rail dust particles on the paint that can oxidize over time (most noticeable on white cars). You can do this yourself with a product called IronX. You can do it immediately after a wash, it does not cost much for the product and is easy to apply and remove. Just don't do it in the sun

I didn't want the dealer to touch my paint anyway - they tend to know absolutely nothing about washing a car so you will end up with heavy swirling if you let them do it, so I was happy to tell them to not even touch the paint when it came in. They even left all the plastic on the inside so I was able to throw it out myself If you are not as OCD as I am, don't mind the swirls, I don't think you would get too many rock chips or anything during transportation, so it will be easier for you if you let them remove it. But if you're big into the quality of your paint in the sun, then do it yourself.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djdnz For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (02-22-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Weather could be a problem, either way, yourself or transporting.

If driving yourself, spend two days for the approx 600 miles, highway US24, for instance.

If contract transport, be sure it is enclosed. Have someone specific at the dealer who will observe loading of vehicle onto the contract carrier. This will convey upon the dealer a specific level of responsibility. Redundant? yes, but worth doing. Have a camera ready at arrival and have the carrier person/driver confirm any possible 'inconsistencies'.
Confirm who the carrier will be. There are some great ones out there that specialize in classic cars, for instance. OR - Maybe the carrier is the dealer. I am sure it will all work out for you.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
kilrb

Supposedly the carrier is one the dealer uses on a regular basis, and they're trustworthy. I do believe it's not enclosed, however, I wasn't too worried about that, since these cars are shipped in on an open trailer, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to kilrb For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (02-22-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
I removed my own, it's not hard.

One drawback is that it leaves some glue residue along the edges of the plastic wrap. Easy fix is to get yourself some 3M adhesive remover (paint safe) and remove it on your own. It comes off very easily with the correct product. Make sure you wash the car first before trying to remove the adhesive.

You will also have to wash it yourself; dealers do a decontamination process to get rid of rail dust particles on the paint that can oxidize over time (most noticeable on white cars). You can do this yourself with a product called IronX. You can do it immediately after a wash, it does not cost much for the product and is easy to apply and remove. Just don't do it in the sun

I didn't want the dealer to touch my paint anyway - they tend to know absolutely nothing about washing a car so you will end up with heavy swirling if you let them do it, so I was happy to tell them to not even touch the paint when it came in. They even left all the plastic on the inside so I was able to throw it out myself If you are not as OCD as I am, don't mind the swirls, I don't think you would get too many rock chips or anything during transportation, so it will be easier for you if you let them remove it. But if you're big into the quality of your paint in the sun, then do it yourself.
I did the same exact thing. My salesman knew I was pretty anal about cars, so he called and asked. I told him to leave the wrapping on and I peeled it off after I drove it home.

Your results were the same as mine, and I highly recommend it if you ship the car.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
kilrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
I did the same exact thing. My salesman knew I was pretty anal about cars, so he called and asked. I told him to leave the wrapping on and I peeled it off after I drove it home.

Your results were the same as mine, and I highly recommend it if you ship the car.
Crap, you guys have me scared now! I found a black Premium 2 hours away that wasn't there earlier this week. Now I'm thinking I ought to just go that route instead...
Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I might be paranoid but I wouldn't trust someone to handle my new car. I had my Samurai shipped from Michigan to Arizona and when i got it the car was full of McD's wrappers, empty cans, etc. I didn't mind because the car was a good beater but with a new car I'd fly there and bring that puppy back myself.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
I might be paranoid but I wouldn't trust someone to handle my new car. I had my Samurai shipped from Michigan to Arizona and when i got it the car was full of McD's wrappers, empty cans, etc. I didn't mind because the car was a good beater but with a new car I'd fly there and bring that puppy back myself.
Doesn't the car have to get shipped from the port to the dealership anyways?
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilrb View Post
Crap, you guys have me scared now! I found a black Premium 2 hours away that wasn't there earlier this week. Now I'm thinking I ought to just go that route instead...
Why scared? Pulling the shipping plastic off of the car is easier than removing a sticker.

Also, I didn't have to seal with rail dust since my car came in on the Baltimore port and it was truck-delivered to my dealer.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
Doesn't the car have to get shipped from the port to the dealership anyways?
The dealer would have to eat any loss due to mishandling of the vehicle (unless they could cover it up), they're a bit more strict than the third party contractor that's going to drop it off.

With regards to the OP, I stopped worrying about the first wash and lazy dealer detailers once I realized that I probably wouldn't do much better. Best of luck and enjoy your car.
:happy0180:
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilrb View Post
I have a BRZ Premium that's supposed to arrive in Denver on Monday, and I live in Kansas City. I was going to fly out for $80 and drive the car back, but I've had a change of heart due to reservations on doing a highway break in (pain in the butt varying rpm's on a straight 75mph highway), and concerns on weather. The dealer says he can send it on a transport that they use all the time for about $500, which sounds reasonable. The question I have is, should I have them leave the protective film that comes on the car from the factory? I have no idea how hard that stuff is to get off. Anyone done this before? Do they pretty well wrap the car's exterior? Should I ask the dealer for a small discount for them not having to remove the film and detail the car?
Regardless of if you drive it back yourself or they transport the car, I would reccomend that you leave the protective film on. This will minimize any damge in the drive/transport back. It's very simple to remove and have detailed upon arrival.

No, I wouldn't reccomend to ask for any "discount" because they aren't washing the car for you.

They seem to be a pretty checked out operation if they are organizing shipping for you.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beyer Subaru For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (03-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
kilrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
Why scared? Pulling the shipping plastic off of the car is easier than removing a sticker.
The stuff about rail dust and special cleaners to get it off is spooking me... That, and worrying about something happening in transit, and not getting to inspect it prior to accepting delivery. I have a deposit down on it, but I didn't order the car, and it is still in transit to the dealer. I think I'll cancel and take the one that's closer, so I don't have to worry about the transportation.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
norsamerican

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
i drove my brz 500 miles across texas with only 300 miles on the odometer..just dont use the cruise control..its not that hard
norsamerican is offline   Reply With Quote