follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #29
03Z33
drift

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
MP know's his stuff, I'm excited to see him offering this solution!
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #30
ANTI_LAG

Drives: Ones with Big Turbos
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
then obviously I wasn't the only one who felt the posts were destructive and not well placed.

Your post just basically said...you can't do direct injection...AEM won't work...

that isn't really info is it?
You cant run the direct injection with a series 1 or 2, thus, you would have to piggyback only the secondary injectors, and because the injectors phase in and out, you wont be able to efficiently control everything.

Hopefully I elaborated more on the subject so you dont delete what I have posted again.

Dave
ANTI_LAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #31
Style
LXXXVI

Drives: Dahlia (Raven FR-S)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
The time has finally come.

My car is currently tooling around on an AEM Series 2.

Mitch @ MP tuning has sorted out a patch Harness to allow us to run AEM standalone ECU as a piggy back controlling the motor.

Is it done? Not Yet, but we will be on the Dyno in short order.

Our Goals:

1. Establish baseline for motor on Port injection only,

2. Determine overall gain with the utilization of DI.

3. E-85??? we will see what kind of headroom there is in the DI system

4. Turbo, the reason behind it all. I want 300WHP. this will be discussed further later :-) but not too much later.
Lucky! I wish they would of contacted me back but they didnt. I live like 10 mins from them
Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #32
Mitch P

Here's an update.

We have started our preliminary on-vehicle testing with a Series 2 AEM EMS and we currently have a running engine with full control over the port injectors, ignition, quad cam control and 2step launch control. (soon DBW throttle control) So, for those that plan on getting rid of the DI system altogether, we should have a port injection only system ready very shortly. This kit will disable the factory traction control system since the stock ECU will have no longer have control of the throttle or ignition system to reduce engine power.

We are also interested in running the DI system and have begun research into controlling it through the S2 AEM. Right now, we are very optimistic that we'll be able to do it. Thankfully, the Denso DI driver box looks to be a relatively "stupid" driver box, in that it doesn't have any serial/CAN data lines to the stock ECU and is controlled entirely through timed PWM signals. This makes controlling the DI box much easier because you don't have to reverse engineer the system databus as far as control, error checking, etc... and then have to replicate it. It's very akin to a CDI system, which is just a high voltage power stage, where the ECU just needs to send it correctly timed signals and it does the rest.

The Denso DI driver box also contains a driver stage for the high pressure fuel pump's spill control valve, which controls the fuel rail pressure. Because of this driver stage, interfacing it to the AEM will be easier. The fuel pressure control is a bit interesting in that the cam lobe for the fuel pump has 3 lift events per engine cycle (three points of peak lift) from which you must also time your control signals for proper operation of the spill control valve.

We will be doing some further DI control testing in the near future with the AEM S2 box, but if we find that it is not feasible, we will concentrate our efforts more on the AEM Infinity kit for these cars, which is also under development.

Last edited by Mitch P; 08-04-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: typo
Mitch P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mitch P For This Useful Post:
03Z33 (08-05-2012), 20valvewynn83 (08-07-2012), Calum (08-05-2012), coyote (06-01-2013), SkullWorks (08-06-2012), TheRipler (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #33
TheRipler
Reap the BReeZe

Drives: 04 LandShark STi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch P View Post
Thankfully, the Denso DI driver box looks to be a relatively "stupid" driver box, in that it doesn't have any serial/CAN data lines to the stock ECU and is controlled entirely through timed PWM signals. This makes controlling the DI box much easier because you don't have to reverse engineer the system databus as far as control, error checking, etc... and then have to replicate it. It's very akin to a CDI system, which is just a high voltage power stage, where the ECU just needs to send it correctly timed signals and it does the rest.
Hey, that's good news.

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to see what you guys do.
TheRipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #34
Don@Accelerated

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 1,162 Times in 316 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
I was only testing a header and giving the results I don't see the problem with that. Yeah, car makes more power without this particular header and a tune . That's a header problem not mine.

Feel free to jump in my thread. I won't have posts deleted. We can talk about this stuff all you want.

Where are the posts that have relevance. I can't tell what your arguing about here. I'll post actual data if we want to discuss issues w/ running the aem in piggy!
Don@Accelerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #35
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
@Don@Accelerated, please do. I'm curious about what the issues might be and what's been done to work around them.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #36
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don@Accelerated View Post
Where are the posts that have relevance. I can't tell what your arguing about here.
I got a bit confused as well. That's the problem when posts get deleted...
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #37
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I'd like to know what valid data he thought he posted too...

Don Please post whatever problems it is you have had, but if you are just projecting problems based on 2nd hand or perceived/potential issues, please state them as such.

Mike
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SkullWorks For This Useful Post:
03Z33 (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #38
Dustin@Dynosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Have you been able to successfully disable direct injection and still have throttle control? Unplugging the GDI CPU does not work nor did unplugging the direct injectors only. We have had our car on a Haltech EMS for the past couple months but have not found an easy way to disable direct injection.
Dustin@Dynosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #39
Don@Accelerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@Dynosty View Post
Have you been able to successfully disable direct injection and still have throttle control? Unplugging the GDI CPU does not work nor did unplugging the direct injectors only. We have had our car on a Haltech EMS for the past couple months but have not found an easy way to disable direct injection.

Yep. Theres that as well!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #40
Mitch P

Please note that I said "(soon DBW throttle control)"

Will be adapting an AEM STi ecu to also control the DBW throttle so there's no issue with the stock ECU keeping the throttle closed when the DI is taken control of.
Mitch P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #41
Dustin@Dynosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
No I understand, good luck with the project, just to be clear, I wasn't trying to stir up trouble, we are in the same boat so just curious how you were going to control or disable DI.
Dustin@Dynosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #42
Don@Accelerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch P View Post
Please note that I said "(soon DBW throttle control)"

Will be adapting an AEM STi ecu to also control the DBW throttle so there's no issue with the stock ECU keeping the throttle closed when the DI is taken control of.

Not that the BRZ idles that great anyway, but i've installed quite a few AEM's in STI's etc and they all seem to have idle control issues. Theres just no adjustment really over the algorithm. Lets make sure if going that route they atleast give us a multiplier or a % change so that we don't run into those issues at least.

Don