follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #15
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had two NB Miatas before my FR-S. Out of the box (that's how I keep my cars) the FR-S handles better than the Miata. I never compared the dimensions closely but the Miata was a considerably smaller car than the FR-S. Personally I like the style of the FR-S but from the point of being an owner, I'd make my decision on whether I wanted a convertible or not. Both are excellent cars. By the way, I understand there will be a 2014 FR-S convertible.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #16
Jedi1
STX build in progress!

Drives: Whiteout FRS. Just Gorgeous!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Both great cars. I have the FRS now and have owned and raced all variations of miata over the years. You wouldn't be mad with either of them in your garage.
Jedi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #17
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't know if this is true elsewhere, but my local road course, Portland Int'l. Raceway, now requires SCCA approved roll bars for any convertibles for track days. No hoops or retractables, they must be mounted to chassis hard points. That will limit the fun factor since IMO the best attributes of lightweight two-seat roadsters can't be experienced for long on public roads without risk of injury or arrest.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
Wellington

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi

I got a FRS last year after 5 years in a 2007 NC MX-5 (base model). I really loved the Mazda, it was my daily drive even in the worst of winters (Quebec) and it never failed me. I changed because I was afraid that the daily use would catch me sooner than later (I did not rust-proofed it), because it had a bad tendency to become inundated at Spring and after heavy rains (it is really annoying to think that the car would rust on both side of the frame at the same time...), and because getting another MX-5 would be more expensive too.

The MX-5 was a base model, so I just had 5 speeds (manual), no LSD, no electronic assistance apart from ABS. It always felt like a sports car, maybe even a racing car, especially in country roads. The feeling behind the wheel was so great, it was tight and tidy, wrapping and forgiving. I had a lot of fun in the snow and never felt like the car could put me in any bad situation. It has a great balance and translates the road perfectly well. It was my first new car and my first sports car, so the emotional attachment may still be in there somewhere. In fact I felt sad when I left the key of the Mazda to the car seller, even though I was quite enthusiastic about the Scion.

My first road test with the FRS confirmed to me that it would be a nice replacement. The first torque peak (at around 2500 rpm) feels exactly like the top torque of the Mazda. The second one is clearly higher and makes a nice difference. But the torque come more evenly in the Mazda. On the paper the Scion is 25% more powerful but I really did not feel it. Maybe it is because of the greater weight, maybe because I am not sensitive enough for it. The driving position is quite similar, I think that the FRS feels a tad lower than the MX-5. The smaller steering wheel adds to the racing feeling but the wider seat wraps the body a bit less. I am quite a short guy at 5'1" so I did not see any difference in the outside visibility.

Both cars are very similar and very different at the same time. My biggest disappointment is about the back seats. I loved the 2-seater configuration to death. I had once the opportunity to seat in a convertible Corvette and it did not feel better at all (a road test would probably have changed that perception, but ergonomics-wise there was no difference to me). I also miss the bulky transmission tunnel: it is high and puts the driver and his passenger in two separate buckets. I hope that the armrest can change that. However, the gear stick falls right into the hand in the same manner. Gear change is similar: grumpy (at times) 2nd gear in both cars, but sometimes I hit the H-guide when downshifting from 5th to 4th in the FRS. Not a real bother but different nonetheless. Ease of gear change was an easy trap for the FRS but engineering did a great job. It feels spot on and it would be very picky from me to pretend that I feel any difference. Heel-and-toe requires to get used to the new pedal position, but the foot is ideally placed for blipping the throttle under sustained braking in both cars. Then there is the console (or the lack of it) which spoils the inside of the FRS. It is obviously a matter of taste but the one in the Mazda was designed for it and gave it more identity.

One year after getting the FRS I still have mixed feelings. I still think that the Mazda is a sexier car on the outside. Even with the top up it looks wider and lower. As a two-seater, the bonnet looks longer too. The FRS looks meaner but my fear is that it becomes the new Tiburon if sales go up. One thing that I could never have done with the MX-5 was going on holidays with a load of beach accessories and coming back with crates of wine bottles. That is where the foldable rear seats became very handy. Other than that, they just catch dust and create a void behind my back. My kingdom for a bulkhead! I initially wondered whether the greater power would bring any significant change to the balance of the car and to my way of driving, so I was quite over-cautious at first. Finally, it appears that the FRS is not more tail-happy than the MX-5 under normal conditions and is a very safe and pleasant car. It is also my daily car, so we spent our first winter together. I did not like the intrusion of the VCS which brought me close to a halt where the MX-5 mightily drifted its way out of snow-encumbered intersections. I did not dare to remove the electronic assistance while I was in traffic but I had the overal feeling that the FRS is somehow less agile and shows it greater weight through inertia. I had the same tyres on both cars, I bought 16" winter rims for the FR-S.

Novelty has worn off for good now, but I never really felt that the FRS was a better car than the MX-5. Apart from obvious differences (soft top and rear seats), the feeling behind the wheel is gratifying in both cars. They seem to be what is called driver's cars because they both still have something to give once the limits are crossed. The FRS is a bit more practical and pays for it with its style. The MX-5 looks more like a toy, but is a joy to drive all year long. So, to the give-and-take game the FRS may get the upper hand. Compared to the base MX-5, it is a bit less expensive, has more electronics, loses the great radio and cruise control commands on the wheel, gains air-con, weights a bit more but is more powerful, "gains" rear seats which improve on the cargo capacity, loses its soft top but saves me nasty sunburns, has a center console and transmission tunnel with questionable designs but comes with a 6-speed gearbox.

I cannot / would not afford both and that is perfect as such. There is not enough difference (purely from a driver's point of view) between them to create a void. I love both cars, they feel great to drive and bring a kind of experience, day after day, that other cars in the same price range lack.
autobrz (06-25-2013), GeorgeJFrick (07-16-2013), torqdork (06-25-2013), Vic4uf (06-13-2016)
Old 06-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
torqdork

Wellington, nice comparo! I'm coming from an MR2 Spyder and see much more of a difference between FR-S and Spyder than, apparently, FR-S and Miata. Surprising yet encouraging that a Miata owner compares their two-seat roadster so favorably to FR-S.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
as Wellington said.
I had 97 NA version of Miata before BRZ.
when i test drove FRS and BRZ, i felt very similar handling of miata and very impressed its capability. i never expect that i would feel a handling of Miata.
reason that i switch is
1. wife hated it
2. i needed some space.
3. i waited for 86 for long time and cannot have 2 cars.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #21
brzmaybe

Drives: Subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy99 View Post
Hi guys, still debating about which to go for between these two. Like most of you I want the feel and fun from a light rwd car, and cost less of an issue, same with power (sti at the moment).
Loved reading the thread about what cars people had come to from the frs, especially the higher HP cars, but can't find much about miata owner's comparisons. Some stuff on YouTube but nothing to really make my mind up.
Have done a search but can't find anything on here. Using tapatalk tho so might have missed relevant threads.
Not interested in fanboy stuff and even less interested in how I'll do in a traffic light grand prix with any other cars.
Thanks all
Jon
I had an NC MX-5 circa 2006-09 before I got an FR-S last year. There are differences.

Suspension character? An NC with a stock suspension leans and takes a "set" before carving the curve. There's no "set" with an FR-S.

Engine character? They're both a bit raw, but I liked the smoother powerband of the NC.

Touring character? I began to dislike a 3 hour, 150 mile drive in my NC (convertible); road noise and seating wore me down. The FR-S fixed both.

Commuting character? Small is beautiful in traffic, but it's awfully nice to have a fold-down rear seat at Home Depot... can't I have both in the garage?

Open air character? NC, hands down... even, I'll wager, versus the rumored FR-S convertible. Not to mention that absolutely watertight, one-hands-operable NC top.

Modification potential? Sky's the limit for both... they're both wonderfully adaptable platforms. The FR-S lacks only time on the market to enlarge the performance parts bin.

I've had both... I prefer my FR-S. But it's a preference, not a clear choice. Drive both, measure your smile, and write your check accordingly. Really... you can't lose.
brzmaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #22
Pete

Drives: 22 BRZ
I had an '01 miata for a couple of years. Both cars are fun to drive, but the fr-s is much more livable. It has a LOT more space as a grocery getter, and the hard top makes keeping it cool in the heat a lot easier. I always wanted to modify that car like my fr-s.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #23
infanterene

Drives: White BRZ
I have always wanted a Miata, especially a Mazda speed. My first car was a Fiat Spyder and I also had an Alfa Spyder. To ME a real sports car should be a 2 seat roadster.

I compromised with my BRZ. Its a great car that is somewhat practical but I don't feel like Sterling Moss driving it. When the new Miata/Alfa come out its going to be tough to say no.
infanterene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #24
torqdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by infanterene View Post
To ME a real sports car should be a 2 seat roadster.
Me too. That's why the rest of the world calls it a GT.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #25
jonboy99

Drives: Black Panda BRZ
Sorry to bump a month old thread but I had not got any email updates for some reason so hadn't realised there'd been more than the first 2 or 3 replies. Thank you all for the input. Humfrz I was going to ask you on miata.net for your thoughts as a long time owner without realising you were on here too!
I went for the miata in the end, I am lucky enough to be able to keep the subaru as a second car so practicality issues were thankfully out of the equation. I picked up a black NC power hard top with about 4000km on it after falling in love with it at the dealer.
Loving it so far, and oddly enough liking being in a car with a bit more body roll again - the 'set' that brzmaybe talked about I quite missed with the STi, nice to see the front end lift and dive a little when on the throttle and brakes too. I have clearly gone a bit soft! The best feature for me is the feeling of speed when only just keeping up with traffic - rowing through the gears into 4th and i'm still barely breaking the limit.
One thing I am a bit worried about is the gearbox - 3rd can be distinctly resistant to get into until 10-15 minutes or so driving, and this is with ambient temps in the mid to high 20s. Have tried all the clutch adjustments and the 'magic' ford motor oil recommended on miata.net and a little better, but just hoping the previous owner didn't abuse the box and roger the synchros. If so it'll be awful come winter time. Still, time will tell and I am loving the car. The STi hasn't moved since I got it.
Jon
jonboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #26
Clembo
'Senior' Junior Member

Drives: 13 FR-S,08 Mustang Bullitt,06 MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzmaybe View Post
I had an NC MX-5 circa 2006-09 before I got an FR-S last year. There are differences.

Suspension character? An NC with a stock suspension leans and takes a "set" before carving the curve. There's no "set" with an FR-S.

Engine character? They're both a bit raw, but I liked the smoother powerband of the NC.

Touring character? I began to dislike a 3 hour, 150 mile drive in my NC (convertible); road noise and seating wore me down. The FR-S fixed both.

Commuting character? Small is beautiful in traffic, but it's awfully nice to have a fold-down rear seat at Home Depot... can't I have both in the garage?

Open air character? NC, hands down... even, I'll wager, versus the rumored FR-S convertible. Not to mention that absolutely watertight, one-hands-operable NC top.

Modification potential? Sky's the limit for both... they're both wonderfully adaptable platforms. The FR-S lacks only time on the market to enlarge the performance parts bin.

I've had both... I prefer my FR-S. But it's a preference, not a clear choice. Drive both, measure your smile, and write your check accordingly. Really... you can't lose.
Owning both, I couldn't have said it better. For the NC MX-5, the Grand Touring model with the suspension package handles more like the FR-S. Still, the FR-S seems tighter overall. But my MX-5 is 7 years older and has 45K more miles also.

There is a size difference, especially in length which shows up big time in turning radius. A little distorted here because the MX-5 is further away but it is still significant.

"You'll never know if you don't try" - Shinroko Momose
Clembo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clembo For This Useful Post:
GeorgeJFrick (07-16-2013), Vic4uf (06-13-2016)
Old 07-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #27
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy99 View Post
............ Humfrz I was going to ask you on miata.net for your thoughts as a long time owner without realising you were on here too! .........I went for the miata in the end,
Oh yes, I get around. I'm lucky to have owned two of the finest driving machines (under $30,000) on the planet.

Enjoy your roadster .... and use lots of sunscreen ....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #28
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJFrick View Post
I'm buying a BRZ new, but hoping to buy a junked Miata as a project car. (who wants die before rebuilding an engine?).

Love the Miata, but the BRZ is just gorgeous and fun. As previously mentioned; better suspension (maybe that can be fixed).
LS powered miata
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote