follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #29
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I did it 100% for the sound, because I understand that that's why you install a cat back. A good muffler will make a car feel faster without actually making it any faster, just by adding aural stimulation to the overall driving experience.

If you install a cat back expecting moar horsepowers and torques, you're wasting your money. The amount of restriction you lose by going from a stock muffler to aftermarket is not going to make enough difference to register on a dyno.
Yeah I would never waste time with an exhaust without doing headers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (06-23-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #30
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
It definitely wasn't a waste of time. It made the car sound great and adds dramatically to the driving experience. I never understood why people will spend money on stereo, comfort or cosmetic upgrades to improve their overall driving experience and then shit on other people who buy an exhaust for the same reason.

I didn't initially install a header because I bought this car to drive 20K to 30K miles per year for work and needed to preserve the warranty. Two different dealer service departments have told me they would fight warranty claims with a header and/or tune. While I'd eventually win in court under Magnuson Moss, I didn't really need that headache. Now that it's only 300 miles away from the warranty expiring, that consideration no longer matters, so a header, over pipe, intake and tune are part of the plan at some point in the next year.

But that doesn't change the fact that I'm glad I've had my Corsa on the car up to now.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Muaddib (06-23-2019), p1l0t (06-22-2019), RToyo86 (06-22-2019), Tcoat (06-23-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 03:42 PM   #31
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,776 Times in 16,409 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Well, p1l0t , I'll have to agree with ol @extrashaky , (this time - ).

I changed my muffler without any other exhaust changes, simply because I wanted more sound coming out of my car. Why? Because I like it -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (06-22-2019), p1l0t (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #32
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
It definitely wasn't a waste of time. It made the car sound great and adds dramatically to the driving experience. I never understood why people will spend money on stereo, comfort or cosmetic upgrades to improve their overall driving experience and then shit on other people who buy an exhaust for the same reason.

I didn't initially install a header because I bought this car to drive 20K to 30K miles per year for work and needed to preserve the warranty. Two different dealer service departments have told me they would fight warranty claims with a header and/or tune. While I'd eventually win in court under Magnuson Moss, I didn't really need that headache. Now that it's only 300 miles away from the warranty expiring, that consideration no longer matters, so a header, over pipe, intake and tune are part of the plan at some point in the next year.

But that doesn't change the fact that I'm glad I've had my Corsa on the car up to now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, p1l0t , I'll have to agree with ol @extrashaky , (this time - ).

I changed my muffler without any other exhaust changes, simply because I wanted more sound coming out of my car. Why? Because I like it -

humfrz
Well yeah each their own. I'm just a dollar $/hp guy when it comes to upgrades. Like it needs to actually be an upgrade for me to even repair something haha. I'm at 40k though so past warranty. Stock exhaust. I am tempted to upgrade it but I have to decide whether I am staying N/A or going turbo. But I also love this car just the way it is actually... I have a full JDM STi swapped wagon on the side for my boost needs. Corners like shit though compared to the 86 even with AWD.

p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (06-23-2019), humfrz (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #33
extrashaky

Quote:
I'm just a dollar $/hp guy when it comes to upgrades.
So you have no cosmetic mods on your car? Not even a stereo?

I have padded knee rests, sliding center console elbow rest, steering wheel, shoulder belt pads, Tom's tails and some LED lighting upgrades. The only performance-related mod I've done was Michelin PSS on 18" RPF1s. The rest is for comfort or the driving experience, including the Corsa.

Quote:
I'm at 40k though so past warranty.
My warranty is 100K miles. I'm glad, because I lost the engine at 65K miles.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #34
theadmiral976

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemerality View Post
So the car was imported to New Zealand from Japan, and has a japanese exhaust. There was a single owner before me who had the car for about 3 months before selling to a dealer. I bought the car and have only swapped out the wheels for forged wheels.

They wouldn't have imported with a tune right?
You're getting about 20-21 mpg which is around 66% of what you should be getting if you are driving conservatively, even with the AC on. In temperatures below 10 degC, expect to see a 10% drop in efficiency. Not sure how cold it gets in NZ this time of year...

Basic questions include: What RON fuel are you using? This car requires the expensive juice. Do you idle the car a lot? What's the mileage - is it due for new plugs? Engine air filter changed recently? Do you hear any vacuum leaks at idle? Any knocking? How did you clean the MAF sensor?

Find a way to log some data PIDs. I'd be interested to see what your fuel trims (short term and long term) look like at idle. I'd also like to see MAP at idle and off throttle moving. If possible, check and see if it has an aftermarket map (I doubt it would because of the importing process).
theadmiral976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:39 PM   #35
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,109 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

Have you figured out what header to pair with your Corsa?
I've only found one that plays nicely with it.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:35 PM   #36
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

humfrz
To each his own, that's fine. But yet when I hear posters swapping out their stock stereo system for something nicer , for the sake of hearing their music more fuller , some get bashed for doing so. Again, it comes down to the owner wanting to hear something a certain way. Yet us peoples like to criticize other peoples, for what ever their reasoning may be. There is an element of "how much did you pay to do that exhaust / stereo system upgrade **** This is very real. Do you really get a better exhaust going $900+ , or swapping out your factory speakers /Amp / receiver and spending $900+ on that , versus some alternative way at going aftermarket and spending $400-600 ?
humfrz (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #37
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
To each his own, that's fine. But yet when I hear posters swapping out their stock stereo system for something nicer , for the sake of hearing their music more fuller , some get bashed for doing so. Again, it comes down to the owner wanting to hear something a certain way. Yet us peoples like to criticize other peoples, for what ever their reasoning may be. There is an element of "how much did you pay to do that exhaust / stereo system upgrade **** This is very real. Do you really get a better exhaust going $900+ , or swapping out your factory speakers /Amp / receiver and spending $900+ on that , versus some alternative way at going aftermarket and spending $400-600 ?
Yes, I agree. That's the reason that I rarely criticize a modification -

humfrz
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 06:34 PM   #38
Rogue13

Drives: Mercedes-AMG A45, Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemerality View Post
Hey guys, got my GT86 about 4 months ago and just started checking the mileage because I felt that I was visiting the gas station a little too often.

I'm getting 8.8 km/litre combined which seems absurd. Everyone I've spoken to IRL gets at least 11-12km/litre.

My car is mostly stock with an aftermarket catback, so I have no idea why it is getting such bad mileage.

I've cleaned the MAFS and changed the engine oil.. Does anyone know what else to check or how to fix it?

Litres per 100KMs used in Aus/New Zealand is not the same as Miles per gallon - the averages are calculated differently.

8.8 L per 100km = 26.7 miles per gallon.

Toyota US website states : MPG between 21 and 28
https://www.toyota.com/86/features/mpg/6253/6255/6251

Aussie spec sheets states average of 8.4L/KM.
https://www.toyota.com.au/-/media/to...ta_may2019.pdf

Your car is fine and I would say most 86 owners are getting between 7.5-9 litres per 100KM combined - not including spirited/track driving.
Rogue13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #39
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, I agree. That's the reason that I rarely criticize a modification -

humfrz
Yet if a car is bone stock, OE , that owner hasn't spent extra money/ time on changing something ( that isn't broken). In most cases, time/money then saved by staying stock/OE. I hear owners who have kept their cars stock, have done so for what ever personal decision , yet responses rarely get praise by others. I get it, everyone eventually needs to change out their tires…. in which case it usually don't then stay in OE form , but that is a high wear rubber part.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:14 PM   #40
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue13 View Post
Litres per 100KMs used in Aus/New Zealand is not the same as Miles per gallon - the averages are calculated differently.
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #41
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
I hear owners who have kept their cars stock, have done so for what ever personal decision , yet responses rarely get praise by others.
1. If they kept their cars stock, no changes were made, and therefore nothing happened. Nobody cares about the day that nothing happened. Why would they take notice of nothing happening, much less praise it?

2. Making decisions about your car hoping for praise from random idiots on the internet is really sad.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #42
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue13 View Post

8.8 L per 100km = 26.7 miles per gallon.

Toyota US website states : MPG between 21 and 28
https://www.toyota.com/86/features/mpg/6253/6255/6251

Aussie spec sheets states average of 8.4L/KM.
https://www.toyota.com.au/-/media/to...ta_may2019.pdf

Your car is fine and I would say most 86 owners are getting between 7.5-9 litres per 100KM combined - not including spirited/track driving.
Rogue13, if you're talking about miles per US gallon, either you or the Google translator is wrong -

Unless I'm missing something.

humfrz
Attached Images