follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
It's spam mail, probably sent by some mostly automated system. Looking at the fine print, the dealership made some sort of deal with that APC company which is probably the one that actually sent you the letter.

My guess is the dealership gives them information and a generic letter that they can spam out. In return, the dealership gets paid by APC (or whichever on of them does the paying) to fix your car when it breaks. There may also be some kickback money in there somewhere.

Again, this is just a guess based on the fine print. I don't actually know how these things go down.
Ahhh somebody else read the fine print. Love the part where it says "final acceptance is subject to your vehicle meeting eligibility requirements". As if they wouldn't take your money unless you qualify!
Pretty much your standard third party extended warranty that you can get for anything from $10 toasters to $100,000,000 RVs. The limitations and exceptions listed in the fine print of the actual warranty would be fun to read. "No parts that contact other parts shall be covered" "No repairs will be completed unless the product was never actually used".
Dadhawk (04-10-2019), Spuds (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #16
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,202 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
LOL, that has to be the next-level of scam. Actual paper spam.
Well if everyone is so focused on the electronic scams, then they'll be so thrown off with good ol paper scams.

IMO don't bother with extended warranties, especially with Toyota's.
extended warranties are actually where dealerships and sales people make their money from.

I had one with an 06 corolla, waste of money as I never used it.
I also got on with a Honda fit (had a money back thing if its not used so at least I get piece of mind and some money back...thought why not)
ended up trading that car in...and never got the money back since the extended warranty was tied to the car.

Im never getting extended warranties on anything (maybe computer parts though....had a hard drive die on me one month after use and was able to have the store replace for free...oh and I have one for tires which I used to get brand new replacements )
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #17
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Well if everyone is so focused on the electronic scams, then they'll be so thrown off with good ol paper scams.

extended warranties are actually where dealerships and sales people make their money from.

I also got on with a Honda fit (had a money back thing if its not used so at least I get piece of mind and some money back...thought why not)
ended up trading that car in...and never got the money back since the extended warranty was tied to the car.

Im never getting extended warranties on anything (maybe computer parts though....had a hard drive die on me one month after use and was able to have the store replace for free...oh and I have one for tires which I used to get brand new replacements )
Actual dealership or manufacturer extended warrantees are a whole different story and there may very well be some value in them. They tend to cover much more and they are far less likely to decline for no reason. They are of course a gamble though and if nothing goes wrong then you paid money for no apparent reason beyond peace of mind. But... for every story where it was a waste there can be a story where it was well worth it. @extrashaky

I usually do not bother but we got the extended Subaru warranty on the wife's 2017 Impreza. The only reason we did was because it is the first year on a brand new platform and who knows what may screw up after the standard warranty. Bet there are a few 2013 FRS/BRZ owners that wish they had an extended warranty right about now!

The one in this thread is a waste of time and money though.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #18
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
My favorite warranty mailers are the ones that refer to my car as a Subaru FRS because the service department put the info in wrong one time and it obviously got sold to a 3rd party that way.

As for APC, from BBB in response to a 1 star review:

In the review the consumer states that we are using the dealers logo and sending it from the dealership when it is not from the dealership. The fact however, is that it is from the dealership. Our company provides services under contract with dealerships to send the marketing solicitations and answer the phone calls. In this particular case we are under contract with White Plains Buick GMC. We have done business with thousands of dealerships across the country all of which contract for our services...

Sounds like a legitimate company that does the typical shady sales practice of cold/ warm calling people and banking on the fact that someone might not know what their actual warranty coverage ends. In contrast to that, there are probably plenty of people who use the services and have been thankful for it.

But yea, the dealership doesn't have the resources to set up a call center and sell additional services, so a 3rd party with those resources offers a % of revenue in exchange for a customer list and authorization to use the logo, etc. It's free money for the dealership, and if you don't like it as a customer, well F U. Its not like you have a choice other then to go through the dealer.

In your case, there is no reason to opt for the extended warranty. I spent 20 minutes listening to the sales guy try to get me to spend $20/mo. for extended coverage when my car had 2.5 years and 30K left. Finally I told him that $20 buys me 2 burgers and that it seemed like a better use of my money.

Now, at the end of your warranty, if you opt in, you might be getting a good deal if you plan to keep the car for a long time. Obviously, they will make it sound like it's now or never, but in reality they will take your money regardless of how old your car is.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
Spuds (04-10-2019), Tcoat (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #19
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,897 Times in 11,357 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
...They are of course a gamble though and if nothing goes wrong then you paid money for no apparent reason beyond peace of mind. But... for every 200 stories where it was a waste there can be a story where it was well worth it.....
Fixed it for you.

I've owned a lot of cars, new and used, and I cannot recall a single one that needed a repair where an extended warranty would have been of value. On the rare occasion I had a repair before 100,000 miles (where most extended warranties end), it was the same or less than the extended warranty would have cost me.

Now, I have nothing against one if it makes the buyer feel they have averted risk for themselves. It's just not something I've ever seen a need for personally.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 04-10-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-10-2019), Spuds (04-10-2019), Tcoat (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #20
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Fixed it for you.

I've owned a lot of cars, new and used, and I cannot recall a single one that needed a repair that an extended warranty would have been of value. On the rare occasion I had a repair before 100,000 miles (where most extended warranties end), it was the same or less than the extended warranty would have cost me.

Now, I have nothing against one if it makes the buyer feel they have averted risk for themselves. It's just not something I've ever seen a need for personally.
That probably is a better ratio yes.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #21
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
For those who want an extended warranty, realize that the Toyota Extra Care warranty prices are negotiable. The same Extra Care warranties are offered by Toyota dealers nationwide. It doesn't matter where it's bought, coverage is honored by all other Toyota dealers. Shop around the 'net and you'll find some dealers who offer them at deep discounts, often 40%-50% off.

They can be canceled and some costs recovered if trading or packaged with the car to improve private sale value.

I don't bother with them on any purebred Toyota. A mixed breed like 86 or Supra I'd consider if the car was a keeper.

The only thing I've ever bought extended warranties on is flat screen tv's from Costco. Their Square Trade policies are dirt cheap and back in the day covered plasma burn in.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #22
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Since Tcoat mentioned me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
But... for every story where it was a waste there can be a story where it was well worth it. @extrashaky
I don't think I would buy the warranty in that letter. It looks like a scam, and $3K is too much money anyway.

I did buy the nationwide Subaru extended warranty. I think I paid either $1000 or $1500, I honestly can't remember. I use the vehicle for work and felt it was a good risk of the cash to have the extra peace of mind.

And it did pay off for me when the oil pump gear broke up at 64K miles and spun two bearings. That was a $7K engine swap that the dealership picked up, no questions asked. I used it again when that new engine had an oil leak. Both times the coverage included a loaner vehicle while mine was in the shop.

I would not bother with the extended warranty if I were buying one to modify or use as a track toy. That would just be a waste of money. But since I have been keeping mine stock, I didn't mind protecting my investment.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-10-2019), Tcoat (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #23
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post

I don't think I would buy the warranty in that letter. It looks like a scam, and $3K is too much money anyway.

I did buy the nationwide Subaru extended warranty. I think I paid either $1000 or $1500, I honestly can't remember. I use the vehicle for work and felt it was a good risk of the cash to have the extra peace of mind.

And it did pay off for me when the oil pump gear broke up at 64K miles and spun two bearings. That was a $7K engine swap that the dealership picked up, no questions asked. I used it again when that new engine had an oil leak. Both times the coverage included a loaner vehicle while mine was in the shop.

I would not bother with the extended warranty if I were buying one to modify or use as a track toy. That would just be a waste of money. But since I have been keeping mine stock, I didn't mind protecting my investment.
I remembered you were one of the success stories for the Subaru/Toyota in-house warranties. Don't know that we ever heard a success story from a third party one though.
Dadhawk (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #24
hoangjm

Drives: Toyota 86 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Are you SURE that letter came from your actual dealership? The grammar and writing in general is very poor and unprofessional; it reads more like a phishing email rather than a legitimate sales pitch from an established franchised dealership. I'd take it to your dealership and ask them face to face if they sent it. If they did, find another dealership in the future.
I will. Thanks for the advise!
hoangjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #25
hoangjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
My favorite warranty mailers are the ones that refer to my car as a Subaru FRS because the service department put the info in wrong one time and it obviously got sold to a 3rd party that way.

As for APC, from BBB in response to a 1 star review:

In the review the consumer states that we are using the dealers logo and sending it from the dealership when it is not from the dealership. The fact however, is that it is from the dealership. Our company provides services under contract with dealerships to send the marketing solicitations and answer the phone calls. In this particular case we are under contract with White Plains Buick GMC. We have done business with thousands of dealerships across the country all of which contract for our services...

Sounds like a legitimate company that does the typical shady sales practice of cold/ warm calling people and banking on the fact that someone might not know what their actual warranty coverage ends. In contrast to that, there are probably plenty of people who use the services and have been thankful for it.

But yea, the dealership doesn't have the resources to set up a call center and sell additional services, so a 3rd party with those resources offers a % of revenue in exchange for a customer list and authorization to use the logo, etc. It's free money for the dealership, and if you don't like it as a customer, well F U. Its not like you have a choice other then to go through the dealer.

In your case, there is no reason to opt for the extended warranty. I spent 20 minutes listening to the sales guy try to get me to spend $20/mo. for extended coverage when my car had 2.5 years and 30K left. Finally I told him that $20 buys me 2 burgers and that it seemed like a better use of my money.

Now, at the end of your warranty, if you opt in, you might be getting a good deal if you plan to keep the car for a long time. Obviously, they will make it sound like it's now or never, but in reality they will take your money regardless of how old your car is.
Exactly! The guy on the phone was keep asking me to pay through the phone. Also he was talking like do it now or my car wont be fixed in the near future.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #26
hoangjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post

Damn! what a joke! Lucky I didn't agree the deal with the sale guy.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #27
hoangjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
It's a heavy handed solicitation for a third party warranty policy sold through your dealership shown by their use of the Toyota trademark. IMO stay away from many of those third party companies that wind up like Theranos.

You're still under the Toyota basic warranty coverage that includes free bumper to bumper diagnostics, parts, repairs, and some adjustments but doesn't cover normal wear items. All Toyota dealers are obligated to support you. If the dealer refuses to help, find another.

To see what's still covered, join this site and look around...

https://www.toyota.com/owners/
I just searched it up on toyota website. My car is still under the basic coverage and powertrain coverage. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #28
hoangjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post

Yah man! $3K is definitely too expensive! I won't pay for that lol