follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2018, 04:59 PM   #29
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcporo View Post
Speed limit is 45 and it appears that that at the last second she tried to veer to the left lane.
Hmm, probably a good thing she did steer off so the impact got deflected and she didn't collide with anyone else. For whatever stupid you have to be to not pay attention to the road like that, her instincts were good.

She might not have lived and I bet you'd be a lot worse off.

Shame you got your car to 100K and it had to end this way.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:52 PM   #30
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Agreed, as often as it happens there has to be a better deterrent.
As a motorcycle rider, this is my greatest fear. Riding is twice as dangerous now as it was pre-cel phone.
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkharmony For This Useful Post:
qcbaker (08-30-2018), Summerwolf (08-30-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #31
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
As a motorcycle rider, this is my greatest fear. Riding is twice as dangerous now as it was pre-cel phone.
This is why I am so grateful for lane splitting in California. Even when I'm first at a light I prefer to stay in between two lanes. Granted I would never use my bike to commute unless it was absolutely necessary, but when I'm on my way to my favorite roads I'm always on edge so it helps lol.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #32
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
At first sign of anything I'm off the doctor.
I'm gonna say this even though I know somebody might get her panties in a twist over it:

Go to the doctor now, regardless of whether you feel anything, to protect your insurance claim.

First, if you don't, and then you feel the effects later, the idiot driver's claims manager will try to say that since you didn't go right away, your injury might not have been caused by the accident. Or they'll try to imply you're just making it up to leverage your damage claim, going to the doctor only after you hear their estimate. They often get slapped down in court using that, but they'll try to use it in the normal claims negotiation process to intimidate you into taking less.

Second, the moment you have an injury claim involved, often the insurance company will become significantly more cooperative about the property claim. Property claims are pretty straight forward and result in predictable awards if they end up in court, so they know that even if you get pissed off and sue them, you won't get much more than they already budgeted for anyway. Injury claims are not so straight forward and can result in ridiculous awards for "pain and suffering." They become much more attentive to your demands on the property side because they want to keep you happy and litigation free on both claims.

Over the years I never went to the doctor if I had an accident, until finally I actually did have a backache the next day after getting rear-ended in New Orleans. I had just taken it for granted that they treat you like shit if you file a claim. But one little backache and suddenly they're calling me on a weekly basis to check up on me and make sure I'm doing okay.

Oh, also, I have found it much better to file the claim with the idiot driver's insurance company instead of your own, if possible. With your own insurer you're somewhat at their mercy, since they can just flat out refuse some things under the terms of your contract without any real fear of being sued, and they can just screw you later if you do sue them. If you file with the other driver's insurer, the threat of a lawsuit is always hanging over their heads, so they seem more cooperative in my experience.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #33
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E_L View Post
This is why I am so grateful for lane splitting in California.
How does splitting lanes prevent a distracted idiot on her cell phone from change lanes right into your path?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-29-2018), Summerwolf (08-30-2018), Tcoat (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #34
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
How does splitting lanes prevent a distracted idiot on her cell phone from change lanes right into your path?
There is no perfect solution (other than staying home), but being plowed into and pinned between two cars is one less thing to worry about. That's the benefit. There are still plenty of ways to die on a motorcycle, or a car for that matter.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:06 PM   #35
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,776 Times in 16,409 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
That would be my question also. It would seem to me that if you are in between two vehicles, each one of them about 2 feet away from you, that your chances of being squished by a distracted driver would be greater.-

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #36
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Damn man.... I would delete this thread as the pending legal stuff will last you a LONG time.

I lost my forester last July in a 4 car collision (rear end) and I'm still dealing with it.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:39 PM   #37
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
...my insurance. Gieco btw. Not sure what the car is worth. 2013 and about 100k miles
Please post up when you are notified of the value they're going to assign. I also use Geico and have a 103k mile 2013. I'm curious what they think it's worth.

I've had 2 cars totaled by stop sign runners but since I had been carted off to the hospital in an ambulance before the cops got there I got hosed both times by the other drivers giving them 'false statements' about what happened. Both times I ended up taking 20% of the blame and not being made whole on the replacement value. It sounds like you aren't going to have to deal with this, you're lucky.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #38
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
That would be my question also. It would seem to me that if you are in between two vehicles, each one of them about 2 feet away from you, that your chances of being squished by a distracted driver would be greater.-

humfrz
https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/06/0...s-rider-saftey

Riders splitting lanes are significantly less likely to be rear ended, the most common type of distracted driving accident.

Not trying to get too off topic but, as a motorcyclist, lane splitting is something I'd like to see become legal nationwide since all data suggests that, when done responsibly, it is safer for riders.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:40 AM   #39
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/06/0...s-rider-saftey

Riders splitting lanes are significantly less likely to be rear ended, the most common type of distracted driving accident.

Not trying to get too off topic but, as a motorcyclist, lane splitting is something I'd like to see become legal nationwide since all data suggests that, when done responsibly, it is safer for riders.
The unfortunate part is that I rarely see it done responsibly. When a bike splits lanes at twice the speed of traffic and then gets creamed by a car changing lanes everybody screams that cars don't watch out for bikes.
bkharmony (08-30-2018), gravitylover (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #40
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The unfortunate part is that I rarely see it done responsibly. When a bike splits lanes at twice the speed of traffic and then gets creamed by a car changing lanes everybody screams that cars don't watch out for bikes.
Yeah, outside of California its not something riders are taught to do properly in licensing courses. Squids that fly by traffic like you say give the rest of us a bad name :/
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 08:48 AM   #41
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
Yeah, outside of California its not something riders are taught to do properly in licensing courses. Squids that fly by traffic like you say give the rest of us a bad name :/
Yep. If I recall, lane splitting is intended for slow moving or stopped traffic not traveling at highway speeds. At high speed it isn't really lane splitting but illegal passing.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #42
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

Quote:
IDK why this thread is bringing up lane splitting, qcbaker mentioned it and it doesn't even pertain here.

@extrashaky it doesn't really prevent someone suddenly changing lanes, it does prevent an accident at a slow speed or near stop situation like here. This accident didn't even involve someone changing lanes into someones path if I read it correctly.

Trust me, you won't see it done responsibly until you go to the UK, California or other places where it's legal and inherent to the motorcycle courses and training. It is indeed safer than people think.

If you're splitting properly you wouldn't be in line with traffic you'd be out of the traffic line and between the furthest #1 and #2 lanes (as far left lane as possible). Therefore you'd be at the front of the line closest to the light and it'd be way less likely to be rear ended as you'd be sitting forward of the traffic line as well as near or on the lines dividing lanes.

But I digress lane splitting has nothing to do with this accident and wouldn't have prevented it if this FR-S was magically a motorcycle it would've been even worse, nor does it do anything at speeds higher than 20 mph because it only makes you look like an asshole.....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-30-2018), Ultramaroon (08-30-2018)