follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
Yousend

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Chirping noise

I have a chirping noise that comes on and off at low speeds, which makes it hard to record and it's, most of the time, faint but sometimes it's loud.

It started happening since I got a wheel bearing/hub replaced. It is starting to be annoying and I would like to know how to diagnose it. My brother did the installation and after I first noticed it, he verified and said there was nothing wrong with the bearing or the installation. What other things could I do to diagnose this issue?

Last edited by Yousend; 05-25-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Yousend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousend View Post
I have a chirping noise that comes on and off at low speeds, which makes it hard to record and it's, most of the time, faint but sometimes it's loud.

It started happening since I got a wheel bearing/hub replaced. It is starting to be annoying and I would like to know how to diagnose it. My brother did the installation and after I first noticed it, he verified and said there was nothing wrong with the bearing or the installation. What other things could I do to diagnose this issue?

I'll try to get a recording of the sound soon enough...
Well, let's assume (I hate that word) that it's not the spring time HPFP crickets waking up from their winter nap.

So, the sound is coming from the front of the car? Left or right side? The same side that the wheel bearing was replaced?

You may consider taking the wheel off and checking the brake caliper/pads on that side to see if the pads are dragging or the caliper is sticking.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,164 Times in 3,461 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Or try this... As it says on the 'tin' guaranteed to work ..
Attached Images

JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
maslin (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
Yousend

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, let's assume (I hate that word) that it's not the spring time HPFP crickets waking up from their winter nap.

So, the sound is coming from the front of the car? Left or right side? The same side that the wheel bearing was replaced?

You may consider taking the wheel off and checking the brake caliper/pads on that side to see if the pads are dragging or the caliper is sticking.

humfrz
Posted a video. I do have some brake noise since I replaced them in September bjt more of a squeel, this doesn't always happen, but sometimes is more pronounced when I turn. It appears to be on the passenger side the bearing I replaced.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yousend For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 03:49 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
Posted a video. I do have some brake noise since I replaced them in September bjt more of a squeel, this doesn't always happen, but sometimes is more pronounced when I turn. It appears to be on the passenger side the bearing I replaced.
Thanks for posting the video, but my old ears can't hear anything unusual.

I would suggest that you jack the car up on that side and try to wiggle the tire from side to side and top to bottom. Then jack up the other side and compare what you feel. There shouldn't be hardly play in the hub/bearing.

If you feel a difference, I'd suggest you ask your brother to re-spec his work.

Also, take your car for a slow drive and turn the steering wheel abruptly back and forth and listen for any knocking sound.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
Yousend

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Thanks for posting the video, but my old ears can't hear anything unusual.

I would suggest that you jack the car up on that side and try to wiggle the tire from side to side and top to bottom. Then jack up the other side and compare what you feel. There shouldn't be hardly play in the hub/bearing.

If you feel a difference, I'd suggest you ask your brother to re-spec his work.

Also, take your car for a slow drive and turn the steering wheel abruptly back and forth and listen for any knocking sound.

humfrz
If you rewatch the video, it's not birds chirping, it's the car. I'll check the car next chance I get.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:45 AM   #7
theadmiral976

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
If you rewatch the video, it's not birds chirping, it's the car. I'll check the car next chance I get.
I turned up my HiFi sound system lol - if I'm hearing what you are hearing, the chirping is right at the end of the 4 sec clip, correct? Sounds rotational, metal-on-metal to me. Does it only happen when you're slowing down? Did you use an OEM bearing or some aftermarket creation? How was the brake assembly pulled (i.e. did the caliper get pulled by itself or with the bracket).

In my experience, if you are confident it only started up after the bearing replacement, the most likely issue would be brake related or bearing related. If the caliper was pulled followed by the bracket, or if the pads were dislodged in any manner, I'd check to make sure one of the guides isn't scraping against the rotor.

If the brakes check out, the bearing is next up. Personally, I suspect it would be fastest to pull the bearing and start over. I doubt it's a big safety issue (and I doubt you'd see enough hub play to make you confident it's the bearing). Just buy the OEM bearing if you didn't. If you went aftermarket and are intent on staying aftermarket, make sure it's a quality part that is well lubricated.
theadmiral976 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theadmiral976 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 07:26 AM   #8
Yousend

Quote:
Originally Posted by theadmiral976 View Post
I turned up my HiFi sound system lol - if I'm hearing what you are hearing, the chirping is right at the end of the 4 sec clip, correct? Sounds rotational, metal-on-metal to me. Does it only happen when you're slowing down? Did you use an OEM bearing or some aftermarket creation? How was the brake assembly pulled (i.e. did the caliper get pulled by itself or with the bracket).

In my experience, if you are confident it only started up after the bearing replacement, the most likely issue would be brake related or bearing related. If the caliper was pulled followed by the bracket, or if the pads were dislodged in any manner, I'd check to make sure one of the guides isn't scraping against the rotor.

If the brakes check out, the bearing is next up. Personally, I suspect it would be fastest to pull the bearing and start over. I doubt it's a big safety issue (and I doubt you'd see enough hub play to make you confident it's the bearing). Just buy the OEM bearing if you didn't. If you went aftermarket and are intent on staying aftermarket, make sure it's a quality part that is well lubricated.
It's OEM, I have the philosophy of if OEM is fine, I stick with OEM. Unless it's clearly overpriced.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:14 PM   #9
theadmiral976

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
It's OEM, I have the philosophy of if OEM is fine, I stick with OEM. Unless it's clearly overpriced.
That's my general philosophy as well. If you're confident the bearing is seated, I'd just pull the wheel and double check that the brakes are scraping the rotor.
theadmiral976 is offline   Reply With Quote