follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2020, 07:35 PM   #15
Dondo Yonderboy

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 - Hakone Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedifar View Post
Hey guys, success!!!

Was able to install BRZ 18 buttons on my 17 base model and the buttons work!! All i need now is the LCD cluster which is on the way. Wrapped my trim too while i was at it. Check it out!
Your image links appear to be broken. Do you have some more details about what you did? Did you replace the whole wheel or just add the buttons? I’m really interested in doing the same to my new 2020 86.
Dondo Yonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:23 AM   #16
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
You can fit 2017 BRZ remote control, you'll replace the buttons with the silver things. This will work just with aftermarket HU. 2018+ remote has one button less.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:24 AM   #17
Dondo Yonderboy

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 - Hakone Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
You can fit 2017 BRZ remote control, you'll replace the buttons with the silver things. This will work just with aftermarket HU. 2018+ remote has one button less.
Hmm, just with an aftermarket HU? That’s a bummer. My stock HU has the voice response button and I’m trying to get that on the wheel. Don’t want to replace the HU to get it, tho.
Dondo Yonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #18
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Yes, I tried, and the resistor values of every key is different, so it's not recognized by the HU. Even going from 2018 to 2017 on BRZ doesn't work. Aftermarket HU have the possibility to map the buttons...
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #19
Jedifar

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86
Sorry not sure why my images didn't upload but qpvechhi is right, to fully utilize every button on the controls you'll need an aftermarket HU as theres no guarantee it'll work with the stock HU.

I have an Atoto A6 and I have mapped every button on it even though the logos don't match (I've got the voice button mapped as the back/cancel button)

For install, simply find some buttons by itself otherwise you'll have to buy the entire wheel as some people don't want to sell separately. I was fortunate enough to find someone in the forums that sold theirs separately. It is a simple plug and play as in disconnect your battery, remove the airbag by unclipping the 3 prongs on the side of the wheel base, and remove the bag. You don't have to completely remove the bag but for safety I recommend you do. Then unscrew the 2 screws on the silver trim and the buttons should just 'pop' out

I am really surprised the 2020 model still has turn-key, I thought they were going to ditch turn key with all 2020 models going forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
Yes, I tried, and the resistor values of every key is different, so it's not recognized by the HU. Even going from 2018 to 2017 on BRZ doesn't work. Aftermarket HU have the possibility to map the buttons...
Jedifar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:41 PM   #20
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
BRZ to 86 Button Swap Success

Just another confirmation that swapping steering wheel controls (non-Nav) from a late model BRZ to a 2017 86 (860 SE) works - with the aforementioned caveats. Mainly, you need an aftermarket HU that allows the buttons to be remapped. Also, the plastic trim in the 860 is black, not silver. This isn't a problem as the button assemblies are easy to remove from the trim. The following link shows how to remove the airbag from the steering wheel but you don't need to disconnect the wiring from the airbag. The switch/trim assembly can be removed over the airbag.

Two things:
1. There are three (not two) clips securing the airbag.
2. The later model vehicles don't have the two access holes on the back side of the steering wheel. Instead, there are two 1.5" square panels that pop out which makes releasing the clips easier.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28364
Attached Images

LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote