follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,518 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm surprised people think Subaru is limiting quantities in some sort of crazed plot to NOT take people's money.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #30
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
I'm surprised people think Subaru is limiting quantities in some sort of crazed plot to NOT take people's money.
I can see they use this strategy to make strong sales on the following years.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #31
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I wouldnt be that disappointed to buy a cheaper FRS vs the BRZ. That being said I did pre order the BRZ because I prefer it.
slizoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #32
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Something fishy about this whole story.. It seems like some Car and Driver journalist got some random opinion from some sales person or manager and decided to write about it.. Then because it's in C&D, we pick it up, and now other places pick it up.. For example.. it's on Autoblog now as well.

This seems like it's all speculation to me..

We've already learned that its 540 per month from May to Nov. so that's around 3800 cars. That would leave just 2200 more from December through say August? That's like 9 months so it would be around 245 per month for the rest of the 13 model year run. That doesn't seem right to me?

I'd be more likely to believe that they've upped production from the 540 per month to more like 800 per month for the rest of the 2013 Calender Year.

Still.. production levels are somewhat fluid until you get to about 3 months out... When they get inside that window it's gets to hard to adjust workforce, supply chain and other factors. So it wouldn't surprise me if they have already decided they like the demand indicators and are planning to up production for the second half of the 2013 calender year... I seriously doubt they are planning to cut production in half from December to August.. that just doesn't make sense to me.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #33
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikond View Post
Something fishy about this whole story.. It seems like some Car and Driver journalist got some random opinion from some sales person or manager and decided to write about it.. Then because it's in C&D, we pick it up, and now other places pick it up.. For example.. it's on Autoblog now as well.

This seems like it's all speculation to me..

We've already learned that its 540 per month from May to Nov. so that's around 3800 cars. That would leave just 2200 more from December through say August? That's like 9 months so it would be around 245 per month for the rest of the 13 model year run. That doesn't seem right to me?

I'd be more likely to believe that they've upped production from the 540 per month to more like 800 per month for the rest of the 2013 Calender Year.

Still.. production levels are somewhat fluid until you get to about 3 months out... When they get inside that window it's gets to hard to adjust workforce, supply chain and other factors. So it wouldn't surprise me if they have already decided they like the demand indicators and are planning to up production for the second half of the 2013 calender year... I seriously doubt they are planning to cut production in half from December to August.. that just doesn't make sense to me.
It's April 2012 thru Nov 2012 (8 months), and Jan 2013 thru April 2013 (4 months)

540 X 8 = 4320 units
540 X 4 = 2160 units

Total is 6480 units

Around May 2013 is when the 2014 BRZ production starts...could even be earlier...
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #34
p911gt3
Workaholic!

Drives: Deciding
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
I have to say, I agree. This will most definitely prevent the case where it is october, and there are 4-5k vehicles waiting to be sold, requiring price cuts. If Subaru keeps a low supply, they can be certain that there is adequate margin on this vehicle to encourage dealers to sell them. Don't worry, in a few years the dealers will have more than will sell at the higher price. Just might require us all to hold out longer

Do we have a list of how many people have put their deposit on their vehicle? how many US vehicles are going to go to our members?
p911gt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #35
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,518 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
^beat me by less than a minute.

My point is that a conservative production schedule makes sense for Subaru for a number of reasons, and none of them are to "create buzz". Subaru wants every single car sold and every dollar of yor money in their pockets. That's what a business does. But since this is a NEW car that doesn't fit Subaru's market in the slightest, they obviously aren't going to produce huge numbers of cars that might sit on lots and not get sold.

Don't forget that Toyota is getting their version from the same factory, and Toyota will outsell Subaru by a huge margin. It makes sense to give the lion's share of production resources to producing the GT-86/FR-S than to the BRZ.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #36
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
It's April 2012 thru Nov 2012 (8 months), and Jan 2013 thru April 2013 (4 months)

540 X 8 = 4320 units
540 X 4 = 2160 units

Total is 6480 units

Around May 2013 is when the 2014 BRZ production starts...could even be earlier...
You are looking at the allocations by production months rather than delivery to dealerships. If we go by production.. you'd have to start your math in March because they've already started building them.

But, you are right about next year.. I wasn't thinking straight.. production for the 2013 model year would stop around May/June. Two weeks for summer shutdown and retooling the lines and then start production for 2014 model year cars.

I'll revise my math backwards by one month for next year...
I'm going by delivery to dealerships..
May to November = 540 * 7 = 3780
December to July = X * 8 = 2220.. X = 278 cars per month.

Still doesn't make sense to me.

It if were by date of manufacture like you suggest.. then it would probably change things a bit.

Since they've already started, you have to start with march.. so March to November would be 9 months * 540 = 4860
Then December through May would be 6 * X = 1240 cars.. X = 207 cars per month next year.

it's even worse..

I'm not saying you are wrong.. I just don't think the article has anything factual behind it.. I think it's pure speculation and in this case, normally reliable auto news sources have wound up picking it up and running with it when they really shouldn't. For all we know, the source could have been some 18 year old parts counter worker who made their own guess about something.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #37
86fanatic

Drives: auto
This was way more then I was expecting. If they continue this level during the second model year you will probably see BRZs on the road quite frequently.
86fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #38
catharsis

Drives: honda civic si 08
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Personally I think they're just doing this to be conservative. If the demand is high, they'll dedicate more factory line time to making more. Keep in mind they'll probably sell more frs's over all anyways, because it should be cheaper.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #39
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fanatic View Post
This was way more then I was expecting. If they continue this level during the second model year you will probably see BRZs on the road quite frequently.
Subaru does not want the BRZ to be seen all over. That is for the FRS. BRZ is to be more rare.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #40
86fanatic

Drives: auto
I think you guys might be under-estimating just how many cars 6000 really is. That is a LOT of cars and if they are allocating that much factory time for the BRZ then over 5 years there will be a lot of cars on the road. And that's just the Subaru variant.
86fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #41
MF_DEUCE
Adventure Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
PKeep in mind they'll probably sell more frs's over all anyways, because it should be cheaper.
I dont understand why people assume the FRS will be cheaper than the BRZ. They are both made from the same plant, why would one be sold for more? If Subaru is expected to have less quantity and be more expensive, then it seems that Subaru has the crap end of the stick. The average joe will see that the FRS is cheaper, thus buy the FRS > BRZ leaving Subaru with more cars not being sold.
Plus, the auto magazines I've been reading have both of these cars estimated at the same price. Either way, I see a lot of people who will be disappointed when price is revealed and they arrive at either dealership with a 2k-4K mark up. Just my 2cents.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #42
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnnlp View Post
Also for those who drank a lot of their marketing cool-aid.

What else are you to go off of? What Mr.Ipnnip says online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_DEUCE View Post
I dont understand why people assume the FRS will be cheaper than the BRZ. They are both made from the same plant, why would one be sold for more? If Subaru is expected to have less quantity and be more expensive, then it seems that Subaru has the crap end of the stick. The average joe will see that the FRS is cheaper, thus buy the FRS > BRZ leaving Subaru with more cars not being sold.
Plus, the auto magazines I've been reading have both of these cars estimated at the same price. Either way, I see a lot of people who will be disappointed when price is revealed and they arrive at either dealership with a 2k-4K mark up. Just my 2cents.

I also think the two will be closer in pricing than many on the FRS side expect. But they won't be the exact same. Need some differentiation.

Argument for price difference is based on Nav and HIDs.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote