follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #1247
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
If I was in the market for a $30K plus car, the V6 track pack would probably be in my garage. I got no love for the 2.0T (of last gen anyway); the V6 has always been the star engine in the lineup IMHO. However; looks play a huge role in owning and driving a car EVERY day. I could not bear to look at that nose in my garage every morning in its current incarnation.

Great car. Great value. Ugly looks.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #1248
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exage View Post
($26k base MSRP new) Mazdaspeed Miata, ($29K base MSRP new) Solstice GXP/Saturn Sky Red Line. I think those are the closest. Both (well three) are RWD Turbocharged and older then the Genesis Coupe.

damn beat me to it

None of those cars sold well which explains why there has been little in the market that fit that spec RWD, turbo and cheapish

Then again none of those have more than 2 seats as well

[QUOTE=SVTSHC;133849]

QUOTE]

Its funny that this is the best picture Ive seen so far of the new GC and I actually like how it look sorta in this pic... until I look up and see how the other angle looks
Old 02-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #1249
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
Oh yeah that's right. But none of those cars can be a only car like the GC(2+2) can.

I think its safe to say Hyundai/Subaru/Toyota sports coupes are very niche.

The only turbocharged RWD 2+2 for under 30k.

And the only RWD,front boxer engined coupe with 2+2
In recent years, yes. There were a number before that predated the GC by decades..
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #1250
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/f...o-gallery.aspx

I feel like... only a mother can love one of these. but at the same time reminds you of how Subaru looked really bad back in the day. Only a mother could love those too.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #1251
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
Too bad...if they had gotten the front right, this would have been a really nice ride. Frankly the front area and fake hood vents just blow. Ugly as $h:t in my opinion.

BRZGrincherhood
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #1252
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
it's just too big

on paper, the GC is a better deal than the FRS no doubt, but if you're after "tiny" cars that get the job done, the market shrinks considerably.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #1253
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post

You know... the more I see it the more it's been growing on me. Right now I'm picturing this thing dropped about an 1.5" with some Satin Black BBS CH's and tints. It's a good mental image.
Get WoW to re-do the bumper (un-fuck the grille and fog lamps) and it would probably a winner. Rear is pretty much the same as the outgoing one if I recall.

Point earlier about pricing is that TMC/FHI design and engineering have done their job. On those points alone the FR-S is a winner. But now it is up to sales and accounting to not kill this car.

The North American dealers seem to feel that they can charge an entitlement tax on Toyota's, and don't need to do any work, because every wants a Toyota, right? But these people (especially Scion dealers as evidenced by the Montreal dealer in the Canada section here) are not exactly the right people for selling this car effectively. They've got fat and lazy from Toyota's hard built past reputation, and people just came to them because they wanted reliable efficient transport.

But lately Hyundai's been kicking their ass. This is an opportunity to assert some authority in a market that Toyota has been bleeding from for years. Youth. If they price it right, (ie below the much more powerful GenCoupe) with the dynamics that it has it can win, and win big.

But I have a feeling that they won't take the risk needed to do so. There will be a ton of corporate ass-covering with this car and I worry that a sales failure will put them 'out of the game' for performance.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #1254
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Maybe they'll have kits and accessories like the last one. I mean that winged badge was really nice on the 2011 ones. Another big thing that will sell the GC is that they are available, they don't have the part problem and the demand as much as the FRS and BRZ so likely you can go to the Hyundai dealer and see a couple of V6 sitting on the lot same with the 2.0T

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #1255
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Toyota/Subaru should take a play from Hyundai's book, and just sell the damn thing for cheap. Toyota's done that in the past (lost money deliberately on their pricing) when they wanted to aggressively promote a new product (LS400 on launch and Prius).

If they know that people will be numbers comparing the GenCoupe to the FR-S/BRZ, they shouldn't sit back assuming that a test drive and superior dynamics will sway most buyers. It probably won't. What they should do is just undercut the base GenCoupe by like ~$2.5k. The dynamics are there for those of us who want it, pricing takes care of the rest of the buyers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
You know Dimman I like talking with you because you understand how things are. Hyundai was the first car manufacturer to sell a turbo/RWD coupe for so cheap(I can't really think of any other company?). Most people in N.America will say the GC is more bang for buck than the FRS/BRZ and it is also more practical to boot. I still don't like the new front end but I won't say that this car is overpriced either.
I wouldn't say the GC is crazy expensive either, but personally for the price I would rather go with the BRZ limited for my money. As I mentioned in another thread, if the GC was $2k cheaper than the BRZ I would have to strongly contemplate the GC as I just need a fun DD car. No serious tracking/Auto-X for me. Just want something fun. I could live with the GC +$2k in my pocket over the BRZ. But same price, I lean towards the BRZ.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #1256
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
25k apparently for the GC 2.0T with 274hp. I still want a BRz but Hyundai is bringing it out. Might have to take a look for myself. If only the GC was as fun to drive as the FRs/BRz according to the reviews, I'd prolly pick the GC over the BRz.

http://i.autoblog.com/2012/02/14/201...pe-from-24-25/
S2kphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:59 AM   #1257
Lasse

Drives: Avensis 2.2 diesel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kphile View Post
25k apparently for the GC 2.0T with 274hp. I still want a BRz but Hyundai is bringing it out. Might have to take a look for myself. If only the GC was as fun to drive as the FRs/BRz according to the reviews, I'd prolly pick the GC over the BRz.

http://i.autoblog.com/2012/02/14/201...pe-from-24-25/

Well, according to reviews it isn't. And with that chassic it will never be as fun as BRZ/FSR.
Lasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #1258
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
Well, according to reviews it isn't. And with that chassic it will never be as fun as BRZ/FSR.
Fun is such a subjective term. Some like boost and getting pushed into the back of their seat. Others like lateral g's and getting pushed into side of seat. To each their own. Both cars can be fun.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #1259
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Fun is such a subjective term. Some like boost and getting pushed into the back of their seat. Others like lateral g's and getting pushed into side of seat. To each their own. Both cars can be fun.

I need to make this my personal quote. I like when people can see a wider picture on things. Fun isn't only what one person thinks a sport car should be. Enthusiasts likes aren't all the same.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #1260
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Hell for Joe Average and Suzy Secretary deciding between the GenCoupe base and a BRZ/FR-S at the same money will be tough.

Hyundai Salesman with them on the test drive: "Go ahead stomp on the gas."
JA/SS: "ZOMG what's happening???"
HS: "You just went TURBO fast!!! Does that little Scion go TURBO fast?"
JA/SS: "Sold!"

Knock off $2-3k from the FR-S and it's a different story. Subaru gets an edge in brand cachet but Scion and Hyundai are probably pretty close brand-wise.

Obvious disclaimer is obvious: Key here is a potential average buyer, one that is not hung up on dynamics, feedback, etc...

Because titanium.

Last edited by Dimman; 02-15-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: homonym
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote