follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #15
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
why not have a master kill switch?
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #16
projek_01

Drives: 1996 ST204, Series 10 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
^ he wants to not turn off his car when he runs inside quickly.

It annoys me a little too.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #17
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
What, where are you getting that information from?

Just turn your car off. It's really not a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
That's right. You should avoid cranking your car at all.
When you turn your car on, your starter takes a great amount of power. Upon the second start up, depending on how long you drive after, you might not regenerate the power consumed. Continously do this and your battery will not be fully charged.

When you turn your car off, the oil drains back down to the draining pan. It's a fact that the most wear and tear on a vehicle is during start up. There is only a small film of oil there upon start up protecting the insides of your engine.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #18
FR-S Guy

Drives: '14 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm amazed how many people complain about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo_415 View Post
I don't think it's a good idea. If your remote battery dies while driving on the twisties, you don't want your car to stop because the key isn't detected anymore.
This is why all cars with smart keys remain running when the key leaves the car. If the battery dies you don't want the car shutting off unexpectedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiRStsc10n View Post
You can't really blame push to start for the annoyance of having to turn off your car when you walk away.

This would still occur with regular old turn key, you would have to turn your car off if you want to walk away, or you would be leaving the key in the ignition and thus allowing people to be able to drive with it.

Like mentioned above you can lock doors with key-blade.
And this is why it is not a new issue. You would've had the same issue without a smart key. The only difference is you wouldn't lose your keys also if someone hopped in and stole your car.
FR-S Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #19
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
When you turn your car on, your starter takes a great amount of power. Upon the second start up, depending on how long you drive after, you might not regenerate the power consumed. Continously do this and your battery will not be fully charged.

When you turn your car off, the oil drains back down to the draining pan. It's a fact that the most wear and tear on a vehicle is during start up. There is only a small film of oil there upon start up protecting the insides of your engine.
While that's all true, it still doesn't negate the absurdity of blaming the push to start system for a "problem" that also exists with a keyed system, or of going to all the trouble of remapping the computer for a "problem" that doesn't happen often enough to contribute any significant wear on the engine.

If it's really a worry, I would suggest replacing the Subaru with a Schwinn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo_415 View Post
I don't think it's a good idea. If your remote battery dies while driving on the twisties, you don't want your car to stop because the key isn't detected anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive View Post
It doesn't stop the car if it loses access to the key... it just won't turn on again after you stop the car.
That's the way it's set up now. If you set it up the way the OP is suggesting--so that the car would die when the key fob is out of range--the car would also die if the battery in the key fob went dead while you were driving it. So you would be on turn 117 of the Tail of the Dragon when key fob died, and you would find yourself coming to a halt with no place to pull over.

This is why it's not set up like that.

As for changing the programming of the door locks so that you can lock the doors with the key fob while the car is running, I remember seeing a long list around here somewhere of all the things that could be reprogrammed. I would suspect this is something that can be changed, if not by the end user then by the dealer using the diagnostic software.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #20
N1rve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Guy View Post
I'm amazed how many people complain about this.

This is why all cars with smart keys remain running when the key leaves the car. If the battery dies you don't want the car shutting off unexpectedly.

And this is why it is not a new issue. You would've had the same issue without a smart key. The only difference is you wouldn't lose your keys also if someone hopped in and stole your car.
Isn't this the point of a smart key though? I mean Nissan had this since 2007.. how "smart" is this key?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Old 04-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #21
IgnitionGundam

Drives: Silver Ignition Gundam
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Install GPS.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #22
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ignition View Post
You can lock the doors using the key blade in the door
Really? I must not have been using enough elbow grease when I try.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #23
FR-S Guy

Quote:
Isn't this the point of a smart key though? I mean Nissan had this since 2007.. how "smart" is this key?
Isn't what the point? I didn't try to make any new point, just stated some facts referring to the OP.

And I use the term smart key loosely. That may or may not be just the name that Toyota gave it.

As for your Nissan being able to lock the doors, good for you/Nissan. I suggest you switch back to Nissan then because that's the first car I've heard of that can do that. I think typically you can't lock the door the usual way because that is meant to arm the security system as well (i.e. immobilizer). I've been in a few BMWs and from what I recall you can't lock them with a running engine either.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:15 AM   #24
N1rve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Guy View Post
Isn't what the point? I didn't try to make any new point, just stated some facts referring to the OP.

And I use the term smart key loosely. That may or may not be just the name that Toyota gave it.

As for your Nissan being able to lock the doors, good for you/Nissan. I suggest you switch back to Nissan then because that's the first car I've heard of that can do that. I think typically you can't lock the door the usual way because that is meant to arm the security system as well (i.e. immobilizer). I've been in a few BMWs and from what I recall you can't lock them with a running engine either.
Isn't the point of a "smart key" to not have the problems of a traditional key? We already can't lock our keys in the car due to this.

And yes, it's called Smart Key Access by Toyota. Right.. and I might as well buy a 370z because the frs doesn't have a v6. -rollseyes-

The point of that is that the technology for that is 7 years old...it should be something that goes with Touch open doors which the car does have if you have smart key access.

As for your BMW... I just did a Google search and bmw actually lock the doors automatically when the car looses detection of the keyfob when you have Comfort Access. This is with the engine on too.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:19 AM   #25
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

This has really not been a major factor in wear on an engine or battery for a very long time. Think about all the hybrids (and even some non-hybrids) rolling around now that stop and restart the engine every time the vehicle comes to a stop (and multiple times in between). They aren't magically more resistant to wear - it's just not a big deal. Same with the battery - I can't imagine a situation where you could crank it over enough to drain the battery before it recharged unless you were delivering news papers and turned the car off and on for every house.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:24 AM   #26
congiiee

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I guess disabling the car if the key remote is out of range has it's downside but the fact that there is no way to prevent someone from going into your car and driving it away is stupid. Sure this isn't a problem and that people with normal key start cars deal with this but how hard can it be to have some type of security measure if you need to quickly leave your car. Like you can't even lock the door while the car is on and you're on the outside. I just think with all this technology it should be more practical.
congiiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:27 AM   #27
N1rve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
This has really not been a major factor in wear on an engine or battery for a very long time. Think about all the hybrids (and even some non-hybrids) rolling around now that stop and restart the engine every time the vehicle comes to a stop (and multiple times in between). They aren't magically more resistant to wear - it's just not a big deal. Same with the battery - I can't imagine a situation where you could crank it over enough to drain the battery before it recharged unless you were delivering news papers and turned the car off and on for every house.
Well the start stop technology is still new. Maybe there are problems that the owners don't speak about or they probably do.

But here's another thing, wear doesn't necessary mean your engine self destructs.

I've ran into that battery problem before...The dealership kept moving my car around the lot and eventually the battery died -_-. So I'm just speaking from experience from that. You can say I never returned to that dealership.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:47 AM   #28
FR-S Guy

Quote:
Isn't the point of a "smart key" to not have the problems of a traditional key? We already can't lock our keys in the car due to this.

And yes, it's called Smart Key Access by Toyota. Right.. and I might as well buy a 370z because the frs doesn't have a v6. -rollseyes-

The point of that is that the technology for that is 7 years old...it should be something that goes with Touch open doors which the car does have if you have smart key access.

As for your BMW... I just did a Google search and bmw actually lock the doors automatically when the car looses detection of the keyfob when you have Comfort Access. This is with the engine on too.
The point of smart key/comfort access/whatever else each manufacturer calls it is to allow you to keep your key in your pocket while unlocking and driving the car. Certainly not to solve the problem of whether or not you can arm your security system with the car running.

As for your google search, from what I recall it doesn't do what you describe. If I remember to I'll try it out sometime. I'd be a bit surprised if that were the case though due to the litigious culture we live in now.

I'm not saying that this is the way it should be, but just that as far as I know that's the way it is.