follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Rocky Mountains / Great Plains

Rocky Mountains / Great Plains CO, IA, KS, MO, MT, ND, NE, SD, WY

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Kronos

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Your favorite roads to drive in CO

I'm moving to Boulder Colorado in just about a month and I'm pretty excited.

I just got back from boulder for the first time to check it out before the move and there are some really cool roads going up the mountains just minutes from where I will be living.

But I want to know the best CO has when it come to drivers roads and scenic roads.

Can't wait to see what you CO locals have to share. Pictures and/or videos are more than welcome!

Im also looking forward to know the 86 community in CO.

Last edited by Kronos; 03-24-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
hattrickey

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The Peak to Peak Highway is pretty nice which will be close to you.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
gdrider77

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Not alot of co activity on these boards. Look on facrbook for the Colorado FRS/BRZ owners club.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Garage
i still pop in and look around once in a while lol. my fave route is 66 longmont to 36 in lyons to 34 in estes to i25 in loveland back to longmont. i like the leisurely scenic routes over the hair pin twisty ones. unfortunatly 36 isnt 100% repaired yet since the flood last sept
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
Saul_Good

Drives: Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any road that leads to PMP, PPIR, and HPR. I also like Garden of the Gods.
Saul_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
Keystone(r)3030

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Swan Mountain Rd between Breck and Keystone is a blast to drive, not long enough tho
Keystone(r)3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
Willy_Baller

Drives: Red 2013 Fr-s
Swan Mountain Rd. and Hoosier Pass up in Summit County are a blast. Also, Ute Pass in between Colorado Springs and Woodland Park is fun if you're in the area, not worth driving to though. Pikes Peak Highway and Garden of the Gods as well.
Willy_Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
HeubergerMotors

Drives: 2006 WRX TR
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Hey Colorado owners!

Join Bristol Brewing Company, Heuberger Motors, and AWDgarage for a great time with great people!
Saturday, September 13at 11:00am - 3:00pm
Bristol Brewing Company
1604 S Cascade Ave, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80905

https://www.facebook.com/events/253520058179633/

On this day we will celebrate the beginning of a new season with friends, food, drinks and boxer rumble.

There will be live music, amazingly good gift bags for show contestants, a drawing for really nice prizes to benefit Lucky Dog Rescue of Colorado Springs. You can check out the Revvolution BRZ project car in person and naturally sample some of the finest liquid bread (that's beer, people) this side of the Front Range from Bristol Brewing.

DETAILS THAT MATTER
•Move in for cars begins at 9am with the show opening to the general public at 11am
•Keep in mind that if you wish to enter your car in the show, you won't be able to remove it until 3pm due to restrictions of the onsite liquor license
•The attending public will vote on their favorites for Best Interior, Best Exterior, Best Mechanical (suspension, engine etc.) as well as overall winner. Runners up will be chosen for all categories except overall winner.

PRIZES
Overall Winner- A half-day of performance driving instruction from FAAST Performance Driving School, half day track time, and a custom Subaru inspired racing helmet.

First Place for Each Category- $200 Gift Card good at www.heubergerparts.net

Second Place for Each Category- $100 Gift Card good at www.heubergerparts.net

Third Place for Each Category- $50 Gift Card good at www.heubergerparts.net

Get a space for your car by purchasing a ticket here (Only 80 spaces available): Growl Fest - Eventzilla
HeubergerMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
HeubergerMotors

Drives: 2006 WRX TR
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
a note from AWDgarage:

Thanks everybody for your interest in coming to the show! Thank you also ahead of time for your understanding as there may be some questions– from you and us– as this is the first Growl Fest event.
The physical space of the show is on the smaller/medium side than what most might be expecting. This is not a huge parking lot or tremendous open space. Please be careful in the designated driving areas and streets surrounding the event.
In fact the Ivywild School, home of Bristol Brewing Co., is a gentrified school that has since been turned into a multi-use space that includes restaurants and other businesses. We can enjoy great food and a nice atmosphere here.
We still have openings for the car show! When you enter this includes some really great stuff! Get a gift bag worth over $20, custom glass Growl Fest growler, t-shirt, fun times, plus a chance to win a Sparco carbon fiber helmet valued at over $1,000. But what are you going to do with that helmet? Take it to the track, of course! The grand prize winner also gets professional instruction and track time in their car at Pueblo Motorsports Park, sponsored by Faasst Motorsports.
If your car is not entered in the show, parking must be found respectfully in the neighborhood surrounding the building. So pay $20 for parking from 11-3 on 9/13 with your Subaru and leave with a great experience and some fun stuff!
Cars don't need to be 'show spec' to enter. Just bring your car as you like it, and let's have a relaxed time in good company. Please share this post or event if you want a friend to come with! Any questions? Please let me know.

Thank you!
Tyler

You may register your car for Growl Fest here:
http://www.eventzilla.net/web/event?eventid=2139038507

posted by January
HeubergerMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'm doing this drive tomorrow (counterclockwise) to admire the fall leaves and enjoy the twisty roads before they get covered in snow:
Attached Images

chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisl For This Useful Post:
Kronos (09-20-2014)
Old 09-20-2014, 01:09 AM   #11
Kronos

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Your favorite roads to drive in CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
I'm doing this drive tomorrow (counterclockwise) to admire the fall leaves and enjoy the twisty roads before they get covered in snow:

You should definitely share how your epic drive turned out. That route is a monstrosity, in the best way possible. I have yet to venture that deep into the mountains. How lon did this take?

I'm heading up to Rocky Mountain national tomorrow from Boulder. That drive is always great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
chrisl

Google maps says 7.5 hours, though we'll see how accurate that is. Google tends to assume a fairly cautious speed over mountain passes, and this route has 5 of them. I'll also probably be stopping to admire the view in a fair number of spots, so it'll probably end up a bit longer than 7.5 hours total (but probably less than that driving time). As for Rocky Mountain, I do love that area - that's where I'm heading first on this drive. If you're interested in mapping it out yourself, here's the route:

Starting in Boulder:
Canyon (CO-119) to Nederland
Peak to Peak hwy N (CO-72)
S St Vrain Dr. W to Estes Park (CO-7)
US 34 to Rocky Mountain National Park
Trail Ridge Rd (which I guess is still technically US-34) to Granby
US-40 S (or maybe it's called US-40 E?) past Winter Park and over Berthoud pass
I-70 W to Loveland Pass
US-6 W (Loveland Pass) to just past Keystone
Swan Mtn Rd to Breckenridge
CO-9 S over Hoosier pass to Fairplay
US-285 E over Kenosha pass and all the way back to Morrison
Back to Boulder via 470 --> 6 --> 93.

If you're ever looking for fun routes in the mountains, I recommend pretty nearly every part of that route, except for the last little stretch from Morrison to Boulder (obviously) and the brief stretch on I-70 (though 70 is a great way to get to a variety of fun roads). For example, you can just do the first part of the route - if I remember right, it's about a 4 hour loop to go up through Estes park, over Trail ridge, and then come back past Winter Park, over Berthoud pass, and then just hop on 70 E to come home.

I'll make sure to wave if I see an asphalt FR-S on my way from Boulder to Rocky Mountain this morning though - I'll be in a bright red Cayman S.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
chrisl

The drive went great - beautiful views, and I only hit traffic in a couple spots. Total driving time was a bit over 7 hours, out of a total elapsed time of 11 hours or so (we stopped to admire the view, do short hikes away from the road, and to eat lunch, hence the long stopped times). Here's a picture from early in the drive (somewhere near the top of Trail Ridge, at around 12k feet):
Attached Images