follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

View Poll Results: What do you use your car for and how important is suspension to you?
daily driver, suspension work primarily for better looks 27 11.84%
daily driver, suspension work primarily for better handling 67 29.39%
daily driver, some track, some auto-x 91 39.91%
Track or auto-x junkie, street drivable 41 17.98%
caged, track or auto-x only monster, no street 2 0.88%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
What do you use your car for and how important is suspension to you?

I'm curious how people are using their BRZ/FRS in this community.

You can take this as a function vs. form discussion or whatever way you'd like. I know some of us are hardcore suspension geeks that show up to meets and get confused looks when we talk about corner entry understeer and dialing in 2 clicks of rebound or increasing caster etc. while other people are talking about how they painted their brake calipers or added boost fluid to their motor (jk). Suspension guys and girls are a very small niche within a very small niche....

Some of us are just getting into learning about suspension. Some of us just want a mild upgrade to keep up with the rest of their mods. Some just want a certain look.

Poll incoming.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Calum (02-11-2015), sb (02-12-2015), solidONE (04-17-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
No auto-x or HPDE, yet. Got my BRZ in late October so all the events are done for the winter.

Suspension is very important. Having had Ground Controls on 2 previous BMWs and ASTs on my track rat miata, I know the difference between good stuff and bad stuff.

I just put a set of used GCs on my BRZ with 375/425 rates with stock sways and stock tires. Suspension rides well, but the spring rates are totally overwhelming the tires. So I need to get a wheel/tire setup stat.

This is really an interim setup until I drop the cash on Tarmacs or MCS.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Got my FRS for a daily driver that I can have some fun in. Love the way the car feels/rides/handles out of the box. Probably going to get a set of TRD springs with a set of 17x8 wheels and 225/45s all around. Want to lessen the fender to tire gap while keeping the feel/ride/handling as close as possible to stock.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STV3 For This Useful Post:
meWant (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
I loved the way the car felt at first. Then as I got used to its limits I started realizing how unpredictable it was when hitting a mid corner bump. I got that fixed with some RCE yellows. Next I started to realizing that I wasn't getting enough information for ME to tell if the back end was about to step out, so I replaced some bushings to add a little NVH. Next I ungraded the tires to MPSS, stock size on the stock rims. Again it was unpredictable when going over mid corner bumps. Not so much that it was uncontrollable, but enough that I'm not comfortable holding it at the limits. So, now I've got a set of RCE Tarmac 0's waiting to go in this spring. (Thanks again Myles and Andy)

At present it's just a DD, but I've been toying with the idea of attending an auto-x school this summer and possibly attending a few races. I like the idea of the competition, but I hate the idea of worrying about points and classing when modding my cars.

As for appearance, I couldn't care less about the size of the fender gap. In fact unless the guys at RCE tells me otherwise, my intention is to run the T0's as close to factory ride height as possible. If there's a performance benefit I'll lower it, but I don't want to sacrifice steering feel for appearance. The car is already beautiful as it is.

Edit: I should also add that with the yellow's I find turn in to be excellent, very neutral feeling upon corner entry, to me . There is a hint of mid corner understeer, and if I do start to auto-x I might have been worried about tuning that for mid corner oversteer. As it is though, it's just enough to keep me feeling safe and happy. I'll see what the T0's bring, I suspect the added camber up front with the spring rates, damping, and the drop I'm intending will result in a similar feeling. If not I'll be looking for sway bars. The problem with that though, is I'm a big fan of keeping the rear as independent as possible to allow me to put power down as early as possible. I can't justify the cost of upgrading the diff and honestly I don't think I should have to.

Last edited by Calum; 02-11-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
akahenry (02-20-2015), DAEMANO (02-11-2015), PandaBRZ (02-12-2015), Racecomp Engineering (02-11-2015), sb (02-12-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm the opposite of @Calum above. I think the fender gap sucks. It spoils the lines of a beautifully designed exterior. I think the stock suspension communicates well enough for DD street use and the occasional HDPE.

To me there were just a few minor problems with the OEM suspension that drove the decision to upgrade pretty quickly. Keep in mind, I wanted to keep the OEM springs/shocks, but couldn't find the product I wanted on the market.

1. Wheel gap with the factory ride height.
Horrendous to the point that it was near impossible to just let it be. Otherwise, the OEM suspension was pretty ok. What I needed was -1" drop all the way around with something closer to -1.25" preferred. So I looked forever for was a way to drop the car on the stock suspension by changing the mounting points without installing shorter springs. After which I was hoping to correct the geometry and then all good.

The rear was achievable with lowering LCAs -20-40mm (W/ LCA products by Parts Shop MAX, and Stance) and/or top mounts from Raceseng and Robispec (at the time).

The fronts no luck. I could find lowering top mounts (HVT, Ground Control, and your Racecomp (out of stock) that would drop it -3/8" at most. But nothing more. Drop spindles might have worked but there are no parts on the market, and there still aren't. I thought about slightly shorter and stiffer front springs (-.5" to -.8") but then we get into suspension tuning including bump-stop/jounce bumper tuning very fast.

2. Improved highway ride

To start, really, I could have dealt with the stock suspension. So this is a secondary request. Anyhow, living in California it's pretty well known that the condition of our highways is quite bad. Highway ride on the stock suspension is generally compliant, but not enough over large bumps at speed. I hoped to specifically improve this with improved shock travel before the secondary spring/bump stop.

Notice I didn't mention "improve handling" or anything regarding raising the limits of the car because the stock suspension is capable enough on the street AND track for someone of my skill level. Also because I know that tires, pads and fluid would successfully raise the limits of the car when I was ready.

So, I started with springs, but those really didn't improve the ride so much as just chang it. From there I upgraded to my current RS*R Sports-i coils. An mid-priced decent quality coil that accomplished all the above without breaking the bank.

Still I'm waiting for some engineer/businessperson to put together a kit of decent quality components that use the stock springs/shocks but lowers the car a set amount between -1" to -1.25") for $600-$700ish (i.e. lowering top hats, LCAs, drop spindles, roll center correction, etc). If this is pie in the sky, I can accept that, but if not, it would likely be a first upgrade for most modders (even before a tune). The wheel gap is just that bad.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
akahenry (02-20-2015), Calum (02-11-2015), Koa (02-11-2015), Racecomp Engineering (02-11-2015), Silver Ignition (02-16-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #6
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
My BRZ has turned into a budget "racecar". Originally bought as a daily driver that was to remain stock, but was never daily driven and got modified before I even drove it.

I wanted springs and shocks (Bistein B8 with RCE Yellows) instead of coilovers as I have no experience with coilovers and was worried I would be daily driving mine in winter. I have a fairly healthy understanding of alignment and suspension stuff but am no where near what some of you guys are. I also opted for Raceseng CasCam plates because I felt the stock steering felt rather light and knew bolts wouldn't get me enough camber for what I wanted to use the car for. I also sprung for some adjustable rear LCAs to add some camber to the rear and fit my tires better. My biggest regret was probably going with the Eibach sway bars. The rear seems too stiff even on the softest setting for what I want, the front is ok.

Suspension was probably the most important for my car and build, but I am very budget limited.

Last edited by BRZZZZZZZZZZ; 02-11-2015 at 05:47 PM.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZZZZZZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (02-11-2015), Racecomp Engineering (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
I'm the opposite of @Calum above. I think the fender gap sucks. It spoils the lines of a beautifully designed exterior. I think the stock suspension communicates well enough for DD street use and the occasional HDPE.

To me there were just a few minor problems with the OEM suspension that drove the decision to upgrade pretty quickly. Keep in mind, I wanted to keep the OEM springs/shocks, but couldn't find the product I wanted on the market.

1. Wheel gap with the factory ride height.
Horrendous to the point that it was near impossible to just let it be. Otherwise, the OEM suspension was pretty ok. What I needed was -1" drop all the way around with something closer to -1.25" preferred. So I looked forever for was a way to drop the car on the stock suspension by changing the mounting points without installing shorter springs. After which I was hoping to correct the geometry and then all good.

The rear was achievable with lowering LCAs -20-40mm (W/ LCA products by Parts Shop MAX, and Stance) and/or top mounts from Raceseng and Robispec (at the time).

The fronts no luck. I could find lowering top mounts (HVT, Ground Control, and your Racecomp (out of stock) that would drop it -3/8" at most. But nothing more. Drop spindles might have worked but there are no parts on the market, and there still aren't. I thought about slightly shorter and stiffer front springs (-.5" to -.8") but then we get into suspension tuning including bump-stop/jounce bumper tuning very fast.

2. Improved highway ride

To start, really, I could have dealt with the stock suspension. So this is a secondary request. Anyhow, living in California it's pretty well known that the condition of our highways is quite bad. Highway ride on the stock suspension is generally compliant, but not enough over large bumps at speed. I hoped to specifically improve this with improved shock travel before the secondary spring/bump stop.

Notice I didn't mention "improve handling" or anything regarding raising the limits of the car because the stock suspension is capable enough on the street AND track for someone of my skill level. Also because I know that tires, pads and fluid would successfully raise the limits of the car when I was ready.

So, I started with springs, but those really didn't improve the ride so much as just chang it. From there I upgraded to my current RS*R Sports-i coils. An mid-priced decent quality coil that accomplished all the above without breaking the bank.

Still I'm waiting for some engineer/businessperson to put together a kit of decent quality components that use the stock springs/shocks but lowers the car a set amount between -1" to -1.25") for $600-$700ish (i.e. lowering top hats, LCAs, drop spindles, roll center correction, etc). If this is pie in the sky, I can accept that, but if not, it would likely be a first upgrade for most modders (even before a tune). The wheel gap is just that bad.

Given that so much of the rest of the suspension has been sourced from the Subaru parts bin, I wonder if our front spindles are similar to any others, and if there might be one that locates the wheel bearing higher in the assembly? After three years I'd expect someone to have found such a part, but I don't think I've ever seen it discussed.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #8
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Started out as I just liked the car. Then I drove the car. Then I drove the car at a local AutoX event.

Now I want to be better at AutoX, More track days, more knowledge, MORE MORE MORE
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (02-11-2015), racinric95 (02-11-2015), Strife26 (02-12-2015), whataboutbob (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 06:38 PM   #9
Stumpygt86

Drives: Toyota GT86. N/A for life
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
have the Ohlins in my 86. although they have done less than 400km is suppose. was mainly for autox and khanacross. I liked the build quality and simplicity of one way adjustable.
I am looking at selling them as they will be no good for gravel or off road
Stumpygt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #10
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Daily driver and weekend autox (and hopefully HPDE this year) car. Started with a very budget STX build (RCE yellows on stock dampers with stock wheels/tires) and have been slowly building it out. Now running Bilstein B8/RCE Tarmac springs, ZIIs, HVT camber plates, and looking at getting LCAs to really perfect the alignment for next season.

The fact that it also happens to be a blast on the backroads with this setup is a nice benefit but it's set up for the autox lot I run in locally (very little grip, hence the lower spring rates than most competitive coils).
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to was385 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #11
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Daily driver that I am taking to the track as often as I can. 8 outings last year, which was my first ever year going to the track.

I've done a bunch of "simple" upgrades so far. Bushings and camber bolts up front are really the only handling related mods so far.

Since I am a total track noob, I was progressively faster each time I went out last season, not counting the day in the rain. I'm not sure if I am at the limit of my current suspension setup yet, but I figure by the end of this season I should be. Barring an unexpected influx of cash this year, a suspension upgrade is in the plans for 2016.

Or I could get bored and just do it this year.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I loved the way the car felt at first. Then as I got used to its limits I started realizing how unpredictable it was when hitting a mid corner bump.
Disagree completely. The stock suspension is one of the most competent setups from the factory this side of an exotic.

The stock tires just don't let you get away with being ham-fisted.

(Not saying you are, just saying the stock setup is very, very good. Especially considering the entry price of the car.)
Old 02-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #13
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
Daily driver that I am taking to the track as often as I can. 8 outings last year, which was my first ever year going to the track.

I've done a bunch of "simple" upgrades so far. Bushings and camber bolts up front are really the only handling related mods so far.

Since I am a total track noob, I was progressively faster each time I went out last season, not counting the day in the rain. I'm not sure if I am at the limit of my current suspension setup yet, but I figure by the end of this season I should be. Barring an unexpected influx of cash this year, a suspension upgrade is in the plans for 2016.

Or I could get bored and just do it this year.
Check the outside of your tires for one, have you "blued" them into submission? Or have they started chunking? If not, you still have a little bit to go.

But don't worry, it takes YEARS to get halfway decent at driving.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #14
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Check the outside of your tires for one, have you "blued" them into submission? Or have they started chunking? If not, you still have a little bit to go.
Not yet, but I'm keeping an eye out for it.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote