follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #267
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
Having a long second gear matters a lot in autocross, you'll often hit 60 on the straights but don't go much faster than that. It means autocrosses will lose time either bouncing off the rev limiter or having to shift excessively.
I see, but is 59 vs. 60 that big of problem? Since the gear is shorter you do get to 59 faster afterall.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #268
JohnnyR

Drives: 04 Evo 8
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
It would take forced induction to do that. Besides I think Subaru wanted to turbo this car all along. It was Toyota's idea to make it slow.
Pretty much. And it's a shame too. If this were Turbo/SC, there'd be no questions in my mind to purchase one. Full price would be paid in full at a dealer for delivery. They dropped the ball here, and I forget if it were a Toyota or Subaru rep that was saying they're really happy that people said it handles incredibly well, but at the same time they're really upset how many said it needs more power. TRD will probably have a SC kit for it most likely. Just it'll be big $$$$ as they command a premium for anything with their name on it, but it would be justified based on quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
If you enter a single-make racing series with the BRZ/FRS - assuming one comes along - then everyone will be in the same boat regardless of what engine fiddling is done.
If it's an open series, than it might not be a winning car.
I'd say 99% of all the SCCA and close track/club days around here are open. So yes, it's going to be hurting. Also I have to see where the revs would sit at certain speeds and how much power is available to push out of turns. Also I'm curious on the shifter. Toyota nor Subaru made a decent shifter setup/feel in over a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan View Post
My problem with the GT-R is everybody I talked to said they were no fun, the insane speed and abilities of the car get old fast because the car does all the work for you. There's no driver involvement. Many people that I talked to sold theirs within a year of owning it.

The Mustangs would be absolute animals, which I can enjoy almost as much as carving up a backroad. Where I live though, there are tons of windy roads that I drive every day, so having a car that is referred to as "pure handling delight" sounds, well...delightful. I've consider Elises many times for this same reason, but I want something that has a bit more comfort and is much more safe if I'm gonna be driving it every day. If I lived in a place with nothing but flat, straight roads, then I would most likely be buying a Mustang instead.

Plus, with the money I'm saving by not buying a more expensive car, I can save more for the classics I wanna buy, a 1968 Mustang and a late-40s convertible, so it all works out.
I can't knock you for the Classic (1970 Boss/Mach 1 for me as far as classic Mustangs go) idea. I don't get the "machine does the work" thing though with people. The car is changing direction so fast and grips when commanded, along with ridiculous power, that's fun in it's own right. The last real pure sports car I drove was an Exige, and that was fun too. Each fun in their own rights. I live in NEPA and you can say my Evo is the last of the true pure AWDs as it's an VIII w/o all the gadgets found on the 9/10, and though it's not a sports car, it's the most fun car I've ever owned, especially on these mountain roads in the snow.

I'm still considering the 2013 Boss/GT500, I haven't decided. Or, I may just keep my Evo, and get a BRZ for a daily beater, and get a GT500 just for the shenanagins and sound. Going to have to test drive the BRZ to see if it's livable for everyday use, as my Evo is taking it's toll on me ride wise and gas wise.
JohnnyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #269
86fanatic

Drives: auto
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
I don't know man, I don't know how you can throw this car in purchasing thoughts against a GT-R, GT500, or even a Boss. They're just on a completely different level, totally outclass this car.
It might surprised you but some people on this forum can easily afford a GT500 or GTR but don't see the point in owning those cars. A 2013 GT500 will hit 60MPH in 1st gear. A GTR goes 3 seconds to 60, only when no one is in front of you and hopefully no one is beside you either. If you are pushing the car that hard on public streets you are being a danger to the people around you, plain and simple.

Those cars are just ridiculously over powered for real world driving. Not to mention they both weigh 1000 pounds more. It doesn't matter how much fancy drive train components you put on those cars, it is very hard to have a connected feeling driving a car which weighs almost 4000 pounds.

Besides that, how do you feel driving you 4000 pound boat 60 MPH or less in rush hour driving, knowing you are quickly wearing out your tires, brakes, and everything else at an alarming rate. It's a little bit silly isn't it being stuck in a machine that is engineered to go 200 MPH chugging along with every other "0-60 in 8 second car". It's simply a waste of the engineering that went into the car to use them as daily drivers.

Many of us interested in the 86 are coming from much faster cars. For me the whole "press the gas, go really fast" concept is both boring and at a point with modern cars where things are just over the top and actually a detraction from the fun factor of driving on public roads. I don't go to the track, I don't care about being competitive on the drag strip or auto cross.

I just want a car that is fun to drive, makes me feel connected, and is not a ridiculously over engineered exercise in excess designed solely to have internet bragging rights about 0-60 times, Nurburgring lap times, 1/4 mile times, and the rest. I really don't care about any of those things, it has nothing to do with my daily commute and enjoyment of my car.
86fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #270
Lost

Drives: Carless...
They didn't make a mistake in their choice of powerplant. They knew full-well what the 0-60 time would be when they debuted it. "It needs 50 more hp"... Well it'd be nice if an LFA were a few hundred grand cheaper or a if Mustang lost 1000 pounds or if a gasoline grew on trees.

This is the package they came up with while taking in to consideration ALL the factors that go in to car production. If you don't like it, don't buy one...
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #271
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
I can't knock you for the Classic (1970 Boss/Mach 1 for me as far as classic Mustangs go) idea. I don't get the "machine does the work" thing though with people. The car is changing direction so fast and grips when commanded, along with ridiculous power, that's fun in it's own right. The last real pure sports car I drove was an Exige, and that was fun too. Each fun in their own rights. I live in NEPA and you can say my Evo is the last of the true pure AWDs as it's an VIII w/o all the gadgets found on the 9/10, and though it's not a sports car, it's the most fun car I've ever owned, especially on these mountain roads in the snow.

I'm still considering the 2013 Boss/GT500, I haven't decided. Or, I may just keep my Evo, and get a BRZ for a daily beater, and get a GT500 just for the shenanagins and sound. Going to have to test drive the BRZ to see if it's livable for everyday use, as my Evo is taking it's toll on me ride wise and gas wise.
I just enjoy having more involvement. A few of my friends have cars with real paddle shift F1 transmissions, they're great, but personally I always wanna have at least one manual transmission car in my garage. Although it may be slower, it makes it more fun for me. I feel similarly about all the "electronic nannies". I agree, it would definitely be fun to scream around at speeds that defy physics in the GT-R, that's why I seriously considered one for so long. I just don't think I'd get to explore the limits of the GT-R nearly as much as I would in the BRZ.

If I were in your shoes, I would definitely think that the BRZ will be a better daily driver than the evo, but I would keep your evo too as a winter beater or for the occasions when you may need to transport more than 1 other person. That's why I'm keeping my Legacy. The Mustang (classic or GT500) would just be for the weekend drives and shenanigans.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #272
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fanatic View Post
It might surprised you but some people on this forum can easily afford a GT500 or GTR but don't see the point in owning those cars. A 2013 GT500 will hit 60MPH in 1st gear. A GTR goes 3 seconds to 60, only when no one is in front of you and hopefully no one is beside you either. If you are pushing the car that hard on public streets you are being a danger to the people around you, plain and simple.

Those cars are just ridiculously over powered for real world driving. Not to mention they both weigh 1000 pounds more. It doesn't matter how much fancy drive train components you put on those cars, it is very hard to have a connected feeling driving a car which weighs almost 4000 pounds.

Besides that, how do you feel driving you 4000 pound boat 60 MPH or less in rush hour driving, knowing you are quickly wearing out your tires, brakes, and everything else at an alarming rate. It's a little bit silly isn't it being stuck in a machine that is engineered to go 200 MPH chugging along with every other "0-60 in 8 second car". It's simply a waste of the engineering that went into the car to use them as daily drivers.

Many of us interested in the 86 are coming from much faster cars. For me the whole "press the gas, go really fast" concept is both boring and at a point with modern cars where things are just over the top and actually a detraction from the fun factor of driving on public roads. I don't go to the track, I don't care about being competitive on the drag strip or auto cross.

I just want a car that is fun to drive, makes me feel connected, and is not a ridiculously over engineered exercise in excess designed solely to have internet bragging rights about 0-60 times, Nurburgring lap times, 1/4 mile times, and the rest. I really don't care about any of those things, it has nothing to do with my daily commute and enjoyment of my car.
Couldn't agree more. For a car I'm driving every day, the BRZ will be the perfect fun little runaround car.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #273
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I was going to buy a Corvette ZR1, but then I found out it didn't have third row seating. I mean, come on. For the price of a ZR1 I could get an Escalade that seats 7 with every option and still have some left over to mod it. The ZR1 is SO overpriced for what it is! Chevrolet really screwed up with the price on that.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #274
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
I was going to buy a Corvette ZR1, but then I found out it didn't have third row seating. I mean, come on. For the price of a ZR1 I could get an Escalade that seats 7 with every option and still have some left over to mod it. The ZR1 is SO overpriced for what it is! Chevrolet really screwed up with the price on that.
It doesnt even have second row seating!!!!
UNACCEPTABLE!

And why get a ZL1 corvette when you can just get a vanilla C6 and just aftermarket the hell out of it?

Or heck just get a GTR. at least that has 4 seats.

Or maybe even a used Lamborghini Gallardo or Ferrari 360 Modena.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #275
YaX
Seņor Member

Drives: 2005 Holden Monaro aka Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fanatic View Post

Um. :happy0180:
YaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #276
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Having a long second gear matters a lot in autocross, you'll often hit 60 on the straights but don't go much faster than that. It means autocrosses will lose time either bouncing off the rev limiter or having to shift excessively.
I keep seeing more and more reasons to acquire a supply of 3.727 gears.

Especially if a bunch of people go turbo/supercharger. Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #277
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
I keep seeing more and more reasons to acquire a supply of 3.727 gears.

Especially if a bunch of people go turbo/supercharger. Hmm.
But for people who want a high rev engine instead of a supercharger, the 4.1 is pretty good...just that pesky 6th gear needs to be changed somehow. Wonder how much it costs to have a custom gearset machined. I think someone on ecomodder tried taking the 2nd gear and reversing the gears to get a 0.5something ratio, but the gears broke for some reason after 15k miles.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #278
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
But for people who want a high rev engine instead of a supercharger, the 4.1 is pretty good...just that pesky 6th gear needs to be changed somehow. Wonder how much it costs to have a custom gearset machined. I think someone on ecomodder tried taking the 2nd gear and reversing the gears to get a 0.5something ratio, but the gears broke for some reason after 15k miles.
I'll wait for 4.4x gears.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #279
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I don't buy the autox argument. If you're in it for the hope/dream of winning the nationals, you'll need to have "the car to have" in a class. It remains to be seen where this one falls, but more likely than not it won't be "the car to have" no matter where the 2nd gear tops out.

And if you're doing autox just for fun, then where 2nd gear end does not matter. If anything, I enjoy a perfectly executed heal/toe downshift just as much as hitting the apexes.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #280
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
I don't buy the autox argument. If you're in it for the hope/dream of winning the nationals, you'll need to have "the car to have" in a class. It remains to be seen where this one falls, but more likely than not it won't be "the car to have" no matter where the 2nd gear tops out.

And if you're doing autox just for fun, then where 2nd gear end does not matter. If anything, I enjoy a perfectly executed heal/toe downshift just as much as hitting the apexes.
Even if this car does not turn out to be the fastest in its class in autox, it might be the funnest in its class for the price and the best to learn in for those starting out. This was one essential design goal intended by its engineers, probably more feverishly developed than any other car prior. This area has to be its meat and potatoes.