follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2015, 03:23 AM   #1
Tommygt86

Drives: gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Using handbrake with automatic gt86 and other issues with the automatic version

Hi guys!

As a person who can drift, i am just about to buy a gt86 in Europe for using it every single day!
I am still hesitating to choose the automatic or the manual, but i have some questions, and i can't find the answers! Please help me if you can!

I will not use the car to drift! I will drift with it on track days, but not to often!

With a RWD car if it's manual when i am pulling the handbrake i need to push the clutch because i want to stop the wheel which is under pressure.

With a awd sport car (if it's also manual) if you are pulling the handbrake the rear wheels are moving out of pressure and while you are pulling the e-brake, and you are stepping on the gas, the front wheels are stil spinning (for example you can do it with the subaru, evo, audi s3...

My main question is that how is it operating at the gt86/brz/frs?
Does it have some special elctronic assistance, or it's horrible for the car, so if i want to use the handbrake i need to buy the manual!?

My other question is that i want to add an ecutec racerom to the car, but all the features are for manual!? For example one of the features are the flat foot shifting or the downshift auto blip, does the downshifting auto blip or the launch control working on the automatic/paddle shift version?

Haha, and i still have one more question:

I'm bit disaffected because of the stock sound of the car, but because of my work i can't put a badass exhasut system under the car, so i am thinking to purchase a special thing a kind of exhaust which (sound) is adjustable by pressing a button.
Do you know an aftermarket exhaust which have this silencer buit inside?

Sorry because of my special questions, i hope that you fanatics know the answers, i'm really looking forward to find disposals!

Best:
Tommygt86

P.S: i am wheeks before choosing and buying mine finally!
Tommygt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:02 AM   #2
that_one_guy

Drives: none
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I started to read your question about hand brakes, got confused, gave up so I'll just say that although I am not a drifter who does e-brake turns often, there is no different between auto and manual.

There is a guy on here that bought the exhaust he likes, then had a muffler shop cut and weld a valve before the muffler so it can be an open pipe when he blips the button on a wireless key fob. This will probably be your best bet. If you only want the sound, then get one of these valves and install it before the stock exhaust.
that_one_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #3
golfyankee2121
Always Moving Forward

Drives: 2013 Argento Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygt86 View Post
Hi guys!

As a person who can drift, i am just about to buy a gt86 in Europe for using it every single day!
I am still hesitating to choose the automatic or the manual, but i have some questions, and i can't find the answers! Please help me if you can!

I will not use the car to drift! I will drift with it on track days, but not to often!

With a RWD car if it's manual when i am pulling the handbrake i need to push the clutch because i want to stop the wheel which is under pressure.

With a awd sport car (if it's also manual) if you are pulling the handbrake the rear wheels are moving out of pressure and while you are pulling the e-brake, and you are stepping on the gas, the front wheels are stil spinning (for example you can do it with the subaru, evo, audi s3...

My main question is that how is it operating at the gt86/brz/frs?
Does it have some special elctronic assistance, or it's horrible for the car, so if i want to use the handbrake i need to buy the manual!?

My other question is that i want to add an ecutec racerom to the car, but all the features are for manual!? For example one of the features are the flat foot shifting or the downshift auto blip, does the downshifting auto blip or the launch control working on the automatic/paddle shift version?

Haha, and i still have one more question:

I'm bit disaffected because of the stock sound of the car, but because of my work i can't put a badass exhasut system under the car, so i am thinking to purchase a special thing a kind of exhaust which (sound) is adjustable by pressing a button.
Do you know an aftermarket exhaust which have this silencer buit inside?

Sorry because of my special questions, i hope that you fanatics know the answers, i'm really looking forward to find disposals!

Best:
Tommygt86

P.S: i am wheeks before choosing and buying mine finally!

I am not exactly sure what you are asking about the e-brake, but I am pretty sure you're not going to hurt the car with a quick rip of the e-brake to get the back end to swing around. I know that you cannot get launch control on the automatic transmission, but it does come standard with Dynamic Rev Management, which is pretty much the same thing as the downshift auto blip feature you would find on the tune your speaking of. As for exhaust, I know there are some pretty quiet systems out there. Invidia Q300 seems to be what a lot of people go with for quietness. I, on the other hand, went the exact opposite direction and am running a straight pipe right now. My neighbors may not appreciate it, but I sure as hell love it. Lol.

J.B.
golfyankee2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #4
acro

Drives: GT-86
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Why not just buy the manual. It would be better from the get go for drifting. You can do clutch kick etc. And you would be able to use all the features of ecutek.

The stock auto does auto blip on downshift btw without the need to use ecutek.

As far as I know there is no launch control with the automatic with or without ecutek.

Not sure about electronic intervention when the ebrake is pulled in the auto version
acro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
_______

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
I don't think you need to worry about those features you want in ecutek. Automatic paddles have rev matching already and you can easily do a launch control with an automatic, throttle while pressing the brake down and then let go
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
It's a Parking Brake, meant for parking. Just has a secondary purpose..lol

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
Tommygt86

Drives: gt86
Wow, thank's for the quick replies!
Tommygt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:34 AM   #8
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I can only imagine the drivetrain shock from pulling the handbrake on an automatic rwd car. Maybe the slushbox will take up the slack? I dunno... I wouldn't advise trying it though.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:29 AM   #9
andrew5826
Seņor Member

Drives: BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
answer:

andrew5826 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew5826 For This Useful Post:
Koa (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 04:42 AM   #10