follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #29
ToxicSneakers
Deleted

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Impetuous vs. self-reliance

Don't be a silly billy. A car is nothing.

Mom should take care of herself, like you are taking care of yourself.

Save the ENTIRE out-the-door cost, then decide how to spend the money you have earned. If that means riding the bus, walking, new job(s), you will be more satisfied with whatever you decide. Later, you might want seed money for a business plan or interesting investment opportunity. Meanwhile, you can train in program methodology, inexpensively, and see if you have the patience to sit in a room full of drones doing someone else's ideas.

You already have everything...
ToxicSneakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #30
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Im 20, and this is my 3rd car and my 1st new. Im not rich, work 30-35 hours a week while going to college. The only reason why i bought this car was because im in love with it. Im also taking the opportunity of living with my parents which free's alot of my bills. I know once i move out im not going to be able to afford this car.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #31
Splat

Drives: FR-S ultramarine
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Buy the car, your going to need a dependable car anyway. What difference does it make if you are paying that large monthly payment on a p.o.s. used car for 3 yrs or new payment for 6yrs.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #32
imravenit
give us this day

Drives: AE86 - FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
imo.. finish school first support your mom as much as you can now.. As you know they will not be around much any longer than you will be.. just realisticly speaking.. id give you an example in my case.. i wanted a nice car so bad when i was 18 had two jobs and making about the same as you although im only 24 so that was only 6 years ago.. i bought me a 1986 corolla it might not be the best choice as a dependable car but it got me through a 4 year xray program and now im making 8k+ a month .. sucked it up for 6yrs driving an old bucket which i still enjoyed at the track drifting once in awhile.. just my two cents.. Quit one of your job.. Make some time for school.. While Supporing your family... finish school.. Then get a job and work hard and enjoy life
Old 10-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #33
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheOcean View Post
I only ask because I'm 22, work two jobs and been saving for this for a few months now. I make after taxes around 2k a month, I feel like I should be saving this for college or I should get my mom a new car-both of our cars are on their last leg...(err wheel) so to say. Mine breaks down a lot, my friends have wealthy families so they just got done graduating from 4yr college and have nice new cars...and well just for once I wanted to get myself something at this magnitude...but now I'm feeling guilty. Why are they entitled to these kinds of things and I cant?
Would it be the right thing to do to get my mom her car first? Should I feel guilty? I really want this...The first time I saw this car in person my heart stopped and I just knew...
My family is dirt poor we came to Canada with nothing so I know what its like to have nothing nice. I just turned 25 and I have already bought this car and paid it off completely.

I bolded your comment that I don't agree with. Why complain? All that effort doesn't help you out and it just makes you feel bad about yourself. Focus on whats will get you the most in life now so you can enjoy what you have later. I worked since I was 15 and bought my 1st car and all my other ones myself. I saved through out high school to pay for college and college got me the job that paid for my car.

Besides you don't need the stress of having a brand new car yet. I say go to college and get a FRS/BRZ that isn't 1st gen. No worrings about feeling guilty and no stressing about CELs and 1st year issues.

BTW Where I am kids are driving around in GTRs, Lambos, Maserati and Ferrari. Hell BMWs and Mercs are like civics (We are talking M3s and AMG C63s type cars here) Don't waste your time envying others cause there will always be people laughing at you while soaking in their tub of cash

Lesson. Don't live outsides your means

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicSneakers View Post
Mom should take care of herself, like you are taking care of yourself.
I disagree. Yes she is an adult but raising kids aint cheap and its nice to show the rentals that it goes both ways. I buy things for my parents a lot not because they can't afford it but because I can afford it and they raise me up well with what they had.

Last edited by Mr.Jay; 10-18-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Jay For This Useful Post:
einzlr (10-18-2012), JERZgrl88 (10-18-2012), kmbkk (10-18-2012), kuma (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #34
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Focus on college first, car can come later. Pick up a reliable beater for you and your mom with some change to spare.

But I'm not too sure about that 3d animation education you're thinking about. I'm not trying to knock you off course, but just giving you a different perspective. Artists.. often times, are starving.. poor.. and jobless. There is little professional demand for 3d artists; and freelancing really isn't a guaranteed paycheck. Maybe do something more practical and applicable. Animation can always be done as a minor/hobby. And personally, I don't think a 50k/year school is worth it if you're going to be funding it by primarily using loans. Student debt is crushing a lot of graduates.
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #35
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I would watch out buying a used car (one reason why i bought this car) it might seem like your saving money but in the long run your not, unless you find a great car that doesn't break down. Alot of my friends who bought used cars are constantly repairing them, just blowing there money away.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #36
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I can afford it, its a bitch saving-I think thats a good part of me feeling guilty about spending it.
The way I saw it, get my car. Take out a loan for 8k for two years to get myself credit. This way when I go to college at 24(age you can take out shit ton of loans) Ill have something in my name and Ill have some money saved up.
When my mom car dies that's when I spend whatever it is I have. my goal for her is 14k
i put around 15 down and have a <$200 a month payment keep saving up!

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #37
sho220

Drives: FR-S MT & FJ Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Its all about perspective if you ask me. I was raised different then you, of course were going to have conflicting views of what a person can do for a living.
It's not really about perspective or personal opinion. Some degrees just have more earning potential than others.

sho220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 AM   #38
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
(This is my first post so please don't rip me a new one, if this was talked about please point me in the right direction)

This is A question for those of you who don't have 27k easily laying around.

My question to you: At any point in time did you feel bad-even guilty about getting this car?

I only ask because I'm 22, work two jobs and been saving for this for a few months now. I make after taxes around 2k a month, I feel like I should be saving this for college or I should get my mom a new car-both of our cars are on their last leg...(err wheel) so to say. Mine breaks down a lot, my friends have wealthy families so they just got done graduating from 4yr college and have nice new cars...and well just for once I wanted to get myself something at this magnitude...but now I'm feeling guilty. Why are they entitled to these kinds of things and I cant?
Would it be the right thing to do to get my mom her car first? Should I feel guilty? I really want this...The first time I saw this car in person my heart stopped and I just knew...
To be honest with you I wish I would have waited for a later model of this car it is having a lot of teething issues as far as new cars are concerned and myself and other customers are making sure Toyota knows that we did not buy this car to have it sitting at the dealership getting fixed all the time. I think Toyota and Subaru will work out the bugs and in the next year or 2 this will be an amazing car you can buy and never worry about the check engine light coming on and having to let the dealership have it for days to weeks to get it fixed. I know first hand this is an awesome car but looking back I should have waited it out.
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #39
sho220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Buy the car, your going to need a dependable car anyway. What difference does it make if you are paying that large monthly payment on a p.o.s. used car for 3 yrs or new payment for 6yrs.
You don't need to spend 25k on a new car to have something dependable. That's just being financially irresponsible and is a big reason our country is as f'd up as it is...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:
Accurate Race Shop (10-18-2012), JERZgrl88 (10-18-2012), Mr.Jay (10-18-2012), MVJ1975 (10-18-2012), stevo_12v (10-18-2012), Supermassive (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #40
sho220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
Don't waste your time envying others cause there will always be people laughing at you while soaking in their tub of cash
haha...ain't that the truth!

Old 10-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #41
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsFang View Post
I would watch out buying a used car (one reason why i bought this car) it might seem like your saving money but in the long run your not, unless you find a great car that doesn't break down. Alot of my friends who bought used cars are constantly repairing them, just blowing there money away.
yes and no. For example, off lease cars can be a fantastic deal. The huge initial depreciation has already happened so you pay maybe half of original sticker, but they generally have only around 30k miles i.e. many years of good service remaining.
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to einzlr For This Useful Post:
Mr.Jay (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #42
stevo_12v

Drives: Mazda MX-6 Turbo, Toyota GTS86 37J
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
(This is my first post so please don't rip me a new one, if this was talked about please point me in the right direction)

This is A question for those of you who don't have 27k easily laying around.

My question to you: At any point in time did you feel bad-even guilty about getting this car?

Why are they entitled to these kinds of things and I cant?
Well I'm one of the fortunate ones who don't know what a car loan is but I'll chime in..

Did not feel guilty in the slightest.. perhaps only when I drove it to work the first week or so(only at what other people/my customers think).

They are entitled to those things because they have wealthy families? Who cares what kind of new cars they have, it's not your business. You aren't in their shoes, they might have not have such a loving parents/or absentee parents and this is how they reward their children. Very common in Asian families.

I think it would be the right thing to buy your mom her car first(if she requires it for work)

Me too, my heart stopped when I saw the Toyota 86(I had another preorder for a BRZ and was 90% set on getting that.. then I saw the Toyota )

I'll probably agree with the rest of the others here and just keep plugging away saving up your cash. Perhaps buy your mom a reliable car. Finish college first then save up for the toys.

In the mean time, you should read this book. It's a very good read. I just wish I had read it at your age.
The Following User Says Thank You to stevo_12v For This Useful Post:
blur (10-18-2012)