follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 08-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #1555
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
So I installed the Edelbrock a few weeks ago and I think I have an issue with the intercooler system.

The level in the surge tank drops to about half way, then when the pump is turned on, the level drops near the bottom and looks like a toilet bowl finishing it's flush.

I have purged, bled and filled the system with Subaru blue coolant using the Lisle funnel setup more times than I care to count.

I do not see any leaks but it seems as though it is sucking in air from somewhere. When I have the Lisle funnel installed, 1/2 filled with coolant, pump running, I see waves of microscopic bubbles (smaller than carbonation bubbles) swirling to the top and an occasional bigger bubble. No matter how long or how many times I cycle the pump on and off, squeeze the hoses, I can't seem to ever get all the air out.

Either I'm doing it wrong or air is being sucked in from somewhere. I am going to pull the bumper off tomorrow and check all the connections.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by BirdTRD; 08-27-2016 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spellin'
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:23 PM   #1556
Heist

Drives: 10 Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think the level is supposed to be low when the engine is on.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

*Edit: I just checked my car. The surge tank has two arrow: one pointing up and one pointing down. When the engine is cold and not running, the coolant level will be at the top. After you turn on the engine, the coolant level will drop to the bottom arrow.

Last edited by Heist; 08-26-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Heist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heist For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (08-27-2016), BirdTRD (08-27-2016), CSG Mike (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #1557
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
So I installed the Edelbrock a few weeks ago and I think I have an issue with the innercooler system.

The level in the surge tank drops to about half way, then when the pump is turned on, the level drops near the bottom and looks like a toilet bowl finishing it's flush.

I have purged, bleed and filled the system with Subaru blue coolant using the Lisle funnel setup more times than I care to count.

I do not see any leaks but it seems as though it is sucking in air from somewhere. When I have the Lisle funnel installed, 1/2 filled with coolant, pump running, I see waves of microscopic bubbles (smaller than carbonation bubbles) swirling to the top and an occasional bigger bubble. No matter how long or how many times I cycle the pump on and off, squeeze the hoses, I can't seem to ever get all the air out.

Either I'm doing it wrong or air is being sucked in from somewhere. I am going to pull the bumper off tomorrow and check all the connections.

The level is supposed to be at the bottom when running; the system is self-bleeding. Top off as needed, but otherwise, that's it.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (08-27-2016), BirdTRD (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #1558
caschnd1

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
My wife is really enjoying the BRZ with the added power. The stock tires are lacking in terms of traction though. I ordered 18x9 wheels and a set of Michelin 245/35ZR18 Pilot Super Sport tires yesterday. That should give her a little more grip.

She added a little bling to the trunk lid this morning too. LOL

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to caschnd1 For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (08-27-2016), CSG Mike (08-27-2016), Freeman (08-27-2016), sato (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 04:03 PM   #1559
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The level is supposed to be at the bottom when running; the system is self-bleeding. Top off as needed, but otherwise, that's it.

Well that's certainly what it's doing. It just seems to me that it would suck some of that air into the system leading to less effective cooling. What started this whole thing was high IAT's...I was hitting 65C (150F) at times (WOT of course) on a 95F day. Is this "normal"? I was told by an Edelbrock tech that I should see 20F - 30F above ambient air temp. Just wondering if that is average, tooling around temps or is that a peak range.

I'd be "happier" if that surge tank had a bit more volume, just so that level would never get to the bottom to potentially allow air in.

One thing I did discover is that when the pump kicks on and that level drops, (high pressure on the output side of the pump which means low(er) pressure on the tank side), a suction is created on the overflow hose. I held the overflow hose up vertically and added a small funnel to the top with coolant in it and when the pump turned on, coolant was sucked in, which means when the overflow tube is in it's normal, home position, air will be sucked in. Not a fan of air in a cooling system.

I rigged up a "fix" for this...still testing it out. If it works...I'll share!
Old 08-27-2016, 06:22 PM   #1560
Paulo86

Drives: Toyota GT86 euro version
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
So I installed the Edelbrock a few weeks ago and I think I have an issue with the intercooler system.

I have purged, bled and filled the system with Subaru blue coolant using the Lisle funnel setup more times than I care to count.

I've something similar but i think it's normal.

At the top engine stopped. At the bottom engine running !

I was stressed like you the first ten minutes but i fast realised that everything seems ok.
Paulo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulo86 For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 07:20 PM   #1561
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo86 View Post
I've something similar but i think it's normal.

At the top engine stopped. At the bottom engine running !

I was stressed like you the first ten minutes but i fast realised that everything seems ok.

How's your IAT's holding up? After this last round of burping and topping off, with ambient air around 84F, it went from a low of 104F to a high of 114F with 2 WOT events (1st thru 3rd gear to redline, twice) which is exactly the range that Edelbrock says it should be. (20 - 30F above ambient) Previously, I had at least 55F above ambient during WOT.
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 11:40 PM   #1562
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well that's certainly what it's doing. It just seems to me that it would suck some of that air into the system leading to less effective cooling. What started this whole thing was high IAT's...I was hitting 65C (150F) at times (WOT of course) on a 95F day. Is this "normal"? I was told by an Edelbrock tech that I should see 20F - 30F above ambient air temp. Just wondering if that is average, tooling around temps or is that a peak range.

I'd be "happier" if that surge tank had a bit more volume, just so that level would never get to the bottom to potentially allow air in.

One thing I did discover is that when the pump kicks on and that level drops, (high pressure on the output side of the pump which means low(er) pressure on the tank side), a suction is created on the overflow hose. I held the overflow hose up vertically and added a small funnel to the top with coolant in it and when the pump turned on, coolant was sucked in, which means when the overflow tube is in it's normal, home position, air will be sucked in. Not a fan of air in a cooling system.

I rigged up a "fix" for this...still testing it out. If it works...I'll share!
Just keep topping off, and it'll self-bump. It does take a while, as the intercooler system is fairly robust, and rather large!

Overfilling via the suction created by the bump (and using the tube), will result in making a mess when you turn your car off and the pump turns off! Unless you did what I suspect and rigged yourself a reservoir.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:32 AM   #1563
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Still debating between this and the JRSC, as I really like the JRSC/OC setup for its simplicity and proven track record, but hearing that the Edelbrock kit is better suited to daily driving makes it look very appealing.

I don't plan on attending any track days or autocross events, the BRZ is strictly for commuting and I just want a little more oomph. I did score a Delicious FlexFuel kit off a forum member, so maybe I should give E85 a try instead?
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:39 AM   #1564
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
Still debating between this and the JRSC, as I really like the JRSC/OC setup for its simplicity and proven track record, but hearing that the Edelbrock kit is better suited to daily driving makes it look very appealing.

I don't plan on attending any track days or autocross events, the BRZ is strictly for commuting and I just want a little more oomph. I did score a Delicious FlexFuel kit off a forum member, so maybe I should give E85 a try instead?
If your goal is strictly daily driving with spirited on ramp sessions, then go edelbrock with the CARB tune and the Delicious D BOX that comes with it free via purchasing from counter space garage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silverfox For This Useful Post:
menikmati (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 12:47 AM   #1565
menikmati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
If your goal is strictly daily driving with spirited on ramp sessions, then go edelbrock with the CARB tune and the Delicious D BOX that comes with it free via purchasing from counter space garage.

I'll keep that as an option, thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to menikmati For This Useful Post:
Silverfox (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 12:55 AM   #1566
Silverfox

Quote:
I'll keep that as an option, thanks.
Also keep in mind the powertrain warranty provided by edelbrock if you still have low mileage.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:56 AM   #1567
menikmati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
Also keep in mind the powertrain warranty provided by edelbrock if you still have low mileage.

I plan on doing the install myself and I believe the kit has to be installed by a certified/licensed installer for the warranty to be valid.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:58 AM   #1568
Silverfox

Quote:
I plan on doing the install myself and I believe the kit has to be installed by a certified/licensed installer for the warranty to be valid.
That's correct. I haven't read much on the install difficulty of the JRSC. I know edelbrock can be done, but you will need help for the initial placement.