follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #575
Frs300

Drives: Pile of junk
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
I think toni jacked it from another car

Sent from my IBrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
whats with the one you have? is it new? used? abused?

Exactly what he did..should have an fx400 on the car but thats not the case
Frs300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #576
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
What is this new type of FI...
Like others have said, the ESC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
That isn't new...
Not necessarily new in the purest form, but I would said the first successful aftermarket option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frs300 View Post
That really sucks. Beyond what is right (in a philosophical manner), is there anything wrong with the ACT clutch, or the one on there specifically?
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #577
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
That really sucks. Beyond what is right (in a philosophical manner), is there anything wrong with the ACT clutch, or the one on there specifically?
ITs used and already fucked up...
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Brody602 (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 11:47 PM   #578
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frs300 View Post
did he invoice you for the fx400? if so, you may have enough to press criminal charges for fraud. Civil is one thing, jail is another.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:49 PM   #579
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
ITs used and already fucked up...
I just went back and looked at the pics. I didn't really how rough that pressure plate looks already.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luckrider For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 11:49 PM   #580
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
Hopefully Lexus can chime in about what kind of shape it was in before it came out of his car

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Brody602 (03-27-2014), lexusb3 (03-28-2014), Marchy (03-28-2014), Mikem53 (03-28-2014), NickFRS (03-28-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #581
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
Hopefully Lexus can chime in about what kind of shape it was in before it came out of his car

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Sent from my IBrick
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmsAlSuwaidi For This Useful Post:
Brody602 (03-27-2014), lexusb3 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #582
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Sorry I did not see your post. The issue is if you live in bum fuck Egypt and buy a 500hp short block your odds of finding a tuner who knows how to handle this without destroying your beautiful shortblock are slim to none and stupid risky.

The video is an embarrassment to the community IMHO, the tune is so rough just read his comments. This car's benchmark was a Porsche not something that stalls and coughs and chokes. A tune needs to be refined.
There have been several jabs at that video throughout the internet auto community.

And you just touch the surface on why a built block is overkill with mentioning 4th gear broke.

One day they will be a formula for 500+HP with a new drivetrain (tranny, LSD, Axels, brakes) but we are years away. We are a lot like 1990 240SX owners in 1990. The potential is there and one day come to fruition, but its a ways off.

This is maybe the first time I've seen you post actual useful info besides "this car is a PoS, it won't last 30K miles".

Listen, the bearings may still be the weak link even if upgraded. Mind you, there ARE ACL bearings available but still the most successful installers choose the OEM ones.

Like you said very accurately, there will always be a weak point because well, something has to break at some point..... Where you rub everyone the wrong way is where you only see the negatives and no positives.

I will repeat it. You conveniently use FRS300 as an example and choose to ignore FBM an Dynosty with their numerous 400 + whp install on top of the various stock block owners at 400+.

I agree with you stock block 400+ tune needs to be spot on. But I also encourage you to read on E85 (which I know you don't like ). Find me a tuner that is able to knock E85 and I will tell you that is a REALLY REALLY but i mean REALLY extremely putrid awful tuner. Making E85 knock is nearly impossible in most normal cases.

I don't know what is it that you expect form this motor in order to say it is good, it holds up etc.... I mean, you can easily double the power (325-350 whp) and with a VERY forgiving ECU that pulls a lot of timing instantly it senses something wrong, you are very safe (not bulletproof, ok I don't think anyone with a stock block should feel bulletproof unless its a motor 10+ years out tried and proven)......
Old 03-28-2014, 12:03 AM   #583
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
450+whp daily abused as a dd on e85.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Mikem53 (03-28-2014), Sportsguy83 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 12:27 AM   #584
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woode View Post
Well good thing most of us aren't in Egypt and aren't buying short blocks that produce 500hp. Last I checked a short block doesn't produce any power.. it's just a few of the components that handle the stress of power. You could tune a built short block to make 200hp if you wanted to.

There are already transmission, LSD, axles, brakes all out there. I really don't get what you are getting at, aside from speaking in generalities trying to make it seem like this platform is worthless right now.

This is how progress and development happen. People push the limits. People dyno test stuff, track test stuff, and yes even break stuff.

Obviously with time will come even more refined products from even more manufacturers, but why should people not build these motors now?

Ok the word games are seriously getting crazy first I get chuckle at getting accused at not knowing what makes a bearing now that one can run a forged bottom end at 200 hp (which would be stupid).

All I'm saying is that for most people buy a fucking Avo, an Oil cooler, Use Avo fucking tune and enjoy the car a few years while things get ironed out before turning it into a 450hp monster, its just common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
This is maybe the first time I've seen you post actual useful info besides "this car is a PoS, it won't last 30K miles".

Listen, the bearings may still be the weak link even if upgraded. Mind you, there ARE ACL bearings available but still the most successful installers choose the OEM ones.

Like you said very accurately, there will always be a weak point because well, something has to break at some point..... Where you rub everyone the wrong way is where you only see the negatives and no positives.

I will repeat it. You conveniently use FRS300 as an example and choose to ignore FBM an Dynosty with their numerous 400 + whp install on top of the various stock block owners at 400+.

I agree with you stock block 400+ tune needs to be spot on. But I also encourage you to read on E85 (which I know you don't like ). Find me a tuner that is able to knock E85 and I will tell you that is a REALLY REALLY but i mean REALLY extremely putrid awful tuner. Making E85 knock is nearly impossible in most normal cases.

I don't know what is it that you expect form this motor in order to say it is good, it holds up etc.... I mean, you can easily double the power (325-350 whp) and with a VERY forgiving ECU that pulls a lot of timing instantly it senses something wrong, you are very safe (not bulletproof, ok I don't think anyone with a stock block should feel bulletproof unless its a motor 10+ years out tried and proven)......

Maybe because you actual took the time to read what I was trying to say. I never claimed to be an author.
Look I am not against these cars or what ever people keep saying other than I have been stuck with a 2012 ROM that the dealer refuses to update. At 0F it seriously idles below 900rpm from a cold start. But the thing keeps running and I just received my Tatrix cable so lets put any conspiracy theories that I don't love these cars behind us. And lets forget that the first car on this forum to pass 36k miles stock's engine blew up yesterday
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61452

E85 is like fucking nitrous for these cars. But again I keep saying this we don't all live in huge cities. I have never even seen an E85 pump, if a gas station put one in my town people would probably buy it to get drunk. Just like the real good tuners shops nearest me are a 3 hr drive into Jersey. Its just different when you live like most of the country, you wait things out.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #585
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
And lets forget that the first car on this forum to pass 36k miles stock's engine blew up yesterday

This is again the type of post that give you flake.... maybe it's unintentional. .... but there's already 50K + miles car on this forum.

It's again the pessimistic view but it's an inaccurate view.

I have taken the time to read your posts and I admit haven't in a long time, but just hope you can look at the glass half full for a change.

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Marchy (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 12:37 AM   #586
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Quote:
Yea they are roller bearing, lol. They are skinny, the rod is bent. That puts stress different than traditional boxers with straight rods in relation to the ignition. At extreme HP levels slight detonation and there have been issues reported. When you get over 400 hp it doesn't take shit tuning for the weak point to give. It doesn't mean there is something wrong with the design. But these bearings are designed for light weight oil, fuel efficiency and daily driving. The tuning has to be spot on everywhere for success, not impossible but not something everyone can do .

Roller bearing, what? Might want to look into how bearings are made and what goes into them. You even commenting that they're designed for light weight oil (they're not, that's clearances), fuel efficiency (they're not, that's the oil), and daily driving (wtf does this have to do with bearings?)

Funny, all the people over 400hp on a stock block (or the people with built blocks running stock bearings at much higher power levels) just prove how wrong you are.

The bearings aren't an issue, the tuning is. I think it's funny you're knocking tuners when the stock tuning was popping DI seals. You apparently think tuning is some kind of magic...

Quote:
They may look like a shim but under oil pressure a hydrostatic bearing is a bearing the oil is not only a lubricant but part of the bearing composite, same principle as an air bearing in turbines.

They are indeed a shim to keep the clearance small enough for the bearing to work. It's well documented that detonation can cause bearing failure on piston driven engines. There's nothing "new" about this engine besides it's combination of direct injection and port injection (which are both understood just fine).

Quote:
This shouldn't be news to anyone it has been known that the rods/bearings are the engine weak (oh god I said it again don't cry) point.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=64

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...k+rod+bearings

I'll wager that when better bearing show up on the after market we will see some really wicked numbers. 'course you'll need a complete new drivetrain but this car will probably be the supra of our time (years go by and limits become unbelieveable.)

Yet again, tuning. I think it's funny you bring up the Supra when people have pushed over 700HP on a stock 7M block and well over 800HP on a stock 2J block.

But remember kids, OEM bearings are shit

Quote:
Sorry I did not see your post. The issue is if you live in bum fuck Egypt and buy a 500hp short block your odds of finding a tuner who knows how to handle this without destroying your beautiful shortblock are slim to none and stupid risky.

If you have the money to do this, you have the tuner fly in.

Quote:
The video is an embarrassment to the community IMHO, the tune is so rough just read his comments. This car's benchmark was a Porsche not something that stalls and coughs and chokes. A tune needs to be refined.
There have been several jabs at that video throughout the internet auto community.

That's an R&D car and that's also nearly a year ago. Also, shit happens (breaking up above 4K is more than likely ignition system issues not directly related to tuning)

Quote:
And you just touch the surface on why a built block is overkill with mentioning 4th gear broke.

One day they will be a formula for 500+HP with a new drivetrain (tranny, LSD, Axels, brakes) but we are years away. We are a lot like 1990 240SX owners in 1990. The potential is there and one day come to fruition, but its a ways off.

Overkill is the only way to do things if you want durability. This is exactly what the OEM's do, and exactly why you can push double the power out of the engine.

- Tranny solution is already there.
- LSD is fine, but can be changed if one so desires.
- Axel solution is already here.
- Brakes where here before the car as they're parts bin parts from other Subarus.

240SX? Well, that explains everything...

FYI: Wanna know the big secret to why Supras got more and more powerful? People finally stopped ****ing with piggyback controllers and went full standalone engine management so they could properly tune it. With the ability to reflash the stock ECU on the twins, most of that functionality is already in the car.

Quote:
And lets forget that the first car on this forum to pass 36k miles stock's engine blew up yesterday

Might want to read the post first... He had a minor accident that more than likely compromised the cooling system because it wasn't reassembled right, and then a major overheat, he popped the headgasket like any other engine would have.

You sound like the kiddies that think the 7M motor in the Supras is crap because they buy a 200K mile car and shim the wastegate. Or the ones that think the SR20 is godly (it's crap)
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
Marchy (03-28-2014), Mikem53 (03-28-2014), Sportsguy83 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 12:37 AM   #587
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
doble post..
Old 03-28-2014, 12:52 AM   #588
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
And I commend this forum for the mechanics public fall from grace, its a testament to the honesty of this forum.

But in all honesty a short block chiseled from diamonds won't hold up to 18 psi when you have a bad tune. That's the problem with mail order short blocks.

My point is a guy like FRS30 would be best of starting by bolting on an Avo (or equivalent), flashing Avo's tune, doing it in their garage with the help of someone who knows how to work on cars.

Maybe in a few years if these cars remain popular there will be a 400+hp "recipe" but I don't think we are there yet.

And I guess I wish I had spoken up in his build thread sooner, all of us share a bit of responsibility in not saying: calm down buddy, start simple get to know the experts within driving distance, join a club, etc.
Coming from the guy running OEM WRX wheels and is stock. Did you even install those wheels? Or have someone else do it? I was once told never talk about something you have never done.

Also the AVO cars are running 300+ WHP now on 12lb's of boost (I think). AVO blew their engine at 19lbls but say up to 350 is reliable on stock block. Sooooo the kit you say is out shinning your agenda.

Not to mention BOB has been beating the crap out of his car at 320whp for almost over a year I think.
NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ban lexusb3, dude where's my clutch!!, fa20club, fa20crap, fashitstorm, goodguyprime, happy ending, i am sofa king we todd it, lexusb3 is toni, looks good!, shithappenscontinuously, stolen skid plates., toni, toniiswhack, unbelievable!