follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
CyberAkuma
OOH KILL EM

Drives: FG1 Civic,NA Miata, Whiteout FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Several questions regarding JDL Turbo

I'm interested in the JDL single scroll turbo kit

I was wondering if the gtx turbo upgrade is worth it over the precision turbo?

What gauges would you guys recommend along with AFR?

Also they offer 3 different colors in thermal coating, does any color have advantages over the other or is it all personal preference?
Old 01-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
The colors dont have a difference as far as i know its a personal preference. Along with AFR i would have to say boost guage..thats about it or just get a p3 guage which reads all those things along with oil temp and everything else the car already monitors.. the AFR is best obviously if using a wideband. I just got my kit today, haven't opened the boxes yet but i'll be installing myself tomorrow. Base kit with precision 4854. Titanium coating on the pipes.

Quote from another thread from Jesse @ JDL with regards to GTX upgrade.

"My opinion and i try to make it clear to anyone with the same question is that if you can fit the Ball bearing turbo into your budget then it is definitely worth it. The lag is improved slightly in terms of rpm's.. ( talking a couple hundred rpm's, nothing too major). The massive difference is felt in the transient response. How it builds boost on and off the throttle and in between gears. Kinda hard to measure this stuff on a dyno, more of a you have to experience it driving different setups. With that said the base turbo is still very enjoyable and the kit allows an upgrade to BB turbos down the road without changing any hardware"
CyberAkuma (01-29-2015), Kris86 (09-21-2016), Lee@JDLAutoDesign (01-29-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 11:13 PM   #3
CyberAkuma
OOH KILL EM

Drives: FG1 Civic,NA Miata, Whiteout FRS MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
The colors dont have a difference as far as i know its a personal preference. Along with AFR i would have to say boost guage..thats about it or just get a p3 guage which reads all those things along with oil temp and everything else the car already monitors.. the AFR is best obviously if using a wideband. I just got my kit today, haven't opened the boxes yet but i'll be installing myself tomorrow. Base kit with precision 4854. Titanium coating on the pipes.

Quote from another thread from Jesse @ JDL with regards to GTX upgrade.

"My opinion and i try to make it clear to anyone with the same question is that if you can fit the Ball bearing turbo into your budget then it is definitely worth it. The lag is improved slightly in terms of rpm's.. ( talking a couple hundred rpm's, nothing too major). The massive difference is felt in the transient response. How it builds boost on and off the throttle and in between gears. Kinda hard to measure this stuff on a dyno, more of a you have to experience it driving different setups. With that said the base turbo is still very enjoyable and the kit allows an upgrade to BB turbos down the road without changing any hardware"
Thanks alot my friend, decided on the p3 and wondering if I really need any more.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
yomny

Several questions regarding JDL Turbo

Glad I was able to help man. I think take it one day at a time but with the p3 you're covered at least with the essentials to keep an eye on everything.
CyberAkuma (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Lee@JDLAutoDesign

Drives: Corrado
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Well said on all accounts. Please let us know if you have any further questions
Lee@JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee@JDLAutoDesign For This Useful Post:
yomny (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberAkuma View Post
I'm interested in the JDL single scroll turbo kit

I was wondering if the gtx turbo upgrade is worth it over the precision turbo?

I was told it would be a nice upgrade, but it's not an absolute must. I got the 4854 base kit with titanium coating, and I am full spool around 3600-3800. When boost kicks in, it's VERY impressive.

What gauges would you guys recommend along with AFR?

As others have said you can go with P3. I personally only have AFR which is in my vent on the drivers side and I have a boost gauge in the Dog customs gauge pod.

Also they offer 3 different colors in thermal coating, does any color have advantages over the other or is it all personal preference?
I personally got the Titanium. It makes a huge difference in terms of heat and honestly, my engine is hotter than some of my parts. The coating comes on the header, downpipe, and turbo. The titanium once it gets some heat cycles turns a nice gold with some sparkly flakes in it. It's pretttty fucken sick.
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
yomny

Its a well built kit man, i just finished installing the hot parts and pretty much everything except oil pan and fans.. basically both things drop in. Got these things done in an afternoon. The manifold is tough and solid as hell, dump tube, cold pipes(coating).. these things are all top notch. It all comes packaged by groups, oil feed-drain, gaskets.. its a true do it yourself.

This is titanium on the hot side of turbo.
Kris86 (09-21-2016)