follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #1
Danny318

Drives: 2019 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
‘17+ axle back flange size ?

I read axle back exhaust sections (muffler only) the flange on the 17 and later is wider than prior years. Can anyone comment on the exact differences? I read something that said they were very different and then something else that said just notch out the bolt holes would make it fit no problem. Will the earlier model fit on late model with reasonable modification ?
Danny318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
Danny318

Drives: 2019 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny318 View Post
I read axle back exhaust sections (muffler only) the flange on the 17 and later is wider than prior years. Can anyone comment on the exact differences? I read something that said they were very different and then something else that said just notch out the bolt holes would make it fit no problem. Will the earlier model fit on late model with reasonable modification ?

I should have taken pictures but I'll describe it in case someone else ever needs this info.

The 17+ flange fitting relies on the pipe protruding slightly from the flange on the 'car side' and fitting into part of the inner diameter of the flange on the 'muffler side'. there is only a tiny 'crush washer' style gasket around the diameter of the protruding pipe that does the sealing.

Getting the pre 17 muffler section to seal required using a pre 17 style gasket (it was actually a front pipe gasket in my case) and the crush washer type gasket as well. Otherwise the protruding pipe would bottom out before the flange surfaces would make contact.

Also, the bolt holes are about a half an inch total wider on the 17+, but luckily the holes on the car side flange can be elongated with a carbide bit enough to fit properly in the pre 17 flange holes.

Hope that helps
Danny318 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danny318 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-09-2020)