follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What HU should I buy?

I'm finally think of upgrading the sound system on the car. I am not very knowledgeable in this area, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll likely get the OEM+ audio kit for speaker upgrades, so the next thing is figuring out a head unit.

Must haves:

--Price................under a grand
--Size.................flush fit to 2013 BRZ (200mm)
--Ease of install...mostly plug n play with 2013 BRZ or with adapter with minimal custom work
--Bluetooth.........yes
--AppleCarplay....yes, and it needs to be wireless
--Quality.............much improved over 2013 unit; as close as possible to modern touch screens
--Design.............simple, looks OEM, red backlit buttons (or switchable illumination), etc
--Power..............is not a bottleneck to the sound quality for the OEM+ system

Unnecessary perks:

--AndroidAuto.....not necessary, but it'll likely be there with AppleCarplay
--Subwoofer........I believe the OEM+ sub isn't stand alone, so this isn't an issue
--CD/DVD...........this would rarely get used if ever, so ya, not necessary
--Plugs...............ability to use the OEM aux/usb to play songs
--Storage...........SD card slot or internal storage, or ability to play from USB stick
--Anti-Theft........removable face or lock would be a plus
--Satellite..........SiriusXM capable
--HD Radio.........yes, but I would prefer it didn't flip back and forth like the OEM system
--Audio..............sound control/features/tunability
--Boot up...........fast; potential to stay on after push-button stop unlike OEM unit

Absolutely not necessary:

--Navigation

I think this is everything. Let me know what features I missed, so I can add them to the list, and of course, let me know what HU fits my needs best.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Irace86.2.0; 12-16-2019 at 12:46 AM.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:29 AM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
I think you've eliminated every possible option on the market, lol.

You're better off collecting a list of 200mm head units, and then checking off your other boxes from there and deciding what features you can live without
Stomachbuzz (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 12:40 AM   #3
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
I think you've eliminated every possible option on the market, lol.

You're better off collecting a list of 200mm head units, and then checking off your other boxes from there and deciding what features you can live without
Really?

The problem is that I searched, but the odd size of 200mm isn't noted. I'm assuming most of the HUs are double din. I looked at the size specs, but nothing says 200mm, and when I convert inches to mm, they don't match, so I am trying to consult anyone who is more knowledgeable.

The other problem is that electronics rapidly change, so what was new and good two years ago is not for sale anymore or obsolete. Furthermore, some of these units I researched seem to be not sold in America, so I don't know if they even work here.

As far as features, is there not a quality 200mm unit available that will play AppleCarplay over Bluetooth?
Old 12-16-2019, 01:06 AM   #4
Bardia

Drives: 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Hmm have you tried Crutchfield ? They seem to have some good stuff.

I really don't find a need for wireless Carplay so I am considering a XAV-AX5000 Sony HU. Thing is, once I get the harness from crutchfield I should be able to use the factory USB ports. Flush fit is a bit of an issue unless you're willing to do some haggard s**t trying to make it fit. Also being able to access the reverse camera without having to be in reverse gear is a plus for me.This whole upgrade with the harnesses but not the camera should cost me about $700 CAD. tbh anything is better than the stock Headunit that we have. This video by Jake Well should be a good sample
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb_b5y0Nmx0&t=319s"]319s[/ame]
Bardia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bardia For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (12-16-2019), mrg666 (01-07-2020)
Old 12-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #5
ben721364

Drives: Porsche Cayman, Audi A3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

I really don't find a need for wireless Carplay so I am considering a XAV-AX5000 Sony HU. Thing is, once I get the harness from crutchfield I should be able to use the factory USB ports. Flush fit is a bit of an issue unless you're willing to do some haggard s**t trying to make it fit. Also being able to access the reverse camera without having to be in reverse gear is a plus for me.This whole upgrade with the harnesses but not the camera should cost me about $700 CAD. tbh anything is better than the stock Headunit that we have. This video by Jake Well should be a good sample
Yup Cruithfield is the best source of such advice. Why not forget the sound system 'upgrade' and enjoy the engine sound. It's a sport car, not a dance hall.
ben721364 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben721364 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #6
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben721364 View Post
Yup Cruithfield is the best source of such advice. Why not forget the sound system 'upgrade' and enjoy the engine sound. It's a sport car, not a dance hall.
As much as I love our engine noise, some people commune with music and need it. If I didn't have music to jam to in the best and worst of times, driving in traffic would be miserable and overall wouldn't be as exciting to me.

Some people have weed, some have alcohol, some have other drugs. If you can buy something to enhance your experience with your choice, wouldn't you take it? People buy expensive pipes and other paraphernalia for drugs, people chill alcohol and mix drinks to get what they want... An EQ and component speakers with a perfect headunit might be what keeps someone from losing their shit
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (12-16-2019), soundman98 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
OP, you want a screen that is capacitive as well (more responsive than resistive but it's more expensive).

Quote:

I really don't find a need for wireless Carplay so I am considering a XAV-AX5000 Sony HU.

I'm considering Sony as well since my Pioneer has crapped out. The AX5000 doesn't have a sub out port so I'm thinking of going with the AX7000.
Irace86.2.0 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
Irace86.2.0

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you guys are saying to just go with a standard double din. I checked Crutchfield, and I don’t see 200mm units specified. It is as if Toyota head units don’t exist in America. It is only the most sold car brand.

I do like the Sony models for looks, and I can live without wireless CarPlay, but I don’t mind paying for it either.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #9
Bardia

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
OP, you want a screen that is capacitive as well (more responsive than resistive but it's more expensive).

I'm considering Sony as well since my Pioneer has crapped out. The AX5000 doesn't have a sub out port so I'm thinking of going with the AX7000.
Mine doesn't have a sub;I tend to not like too much bass so not an issue
but yeah they are amazing, I am upgrading because I don't want to run a second GPS screen and wanna use my iphone to its full capabilities in the car.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #10
Bardia

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you guys are saying to just go with a standard double din. I checked Crutchfield, and I don’t see 200mm units specified. It is as if Toyota head units don’t exist in America. It is only the most sold car brand.

I do like the Sony models for looks, and I can live without wireless CarPlay, but I don’t mind paying for it either.

Their headunits are definitely weird shaped; I'd say go with the AX7000 since you're getting the OEM+ audio upgrade. Look into KENWOOD DMX or DDX series if you can spend more, they seem to fit better than other ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bardia For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #11
yelsew
Little Member

Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
So far I have only found 2 sources for 200mm wide carplay headunits, but neither are wireless (The kenwood may have a newer version with wireless). Both of them have threads on this forum:

Pioneer AVH-ZL5150
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128548

Kenwood DDX917WS
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115989

Both of which are not sold in North America, but can be sourced on places like ebay and some international sellers.
People just need some #drivermod in their life.
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yelsew For This Useful Post:
Bardia (12-16-2019), soundman98 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #12
Bardia

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben721364 View Post
LOL I need it to manage my spotify, maps and have access to the reverse camera that I want to install without needing to be in revers. Also having siri to do my texting for me is a big plus. Imma try and make it as OEM looking as possible though.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #13
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Mine doesn't have a sub;I tend to not like too much bass so not an issue
but yeah they are amazing, I am upgrading because I don't want to run a second GPS screen and wanna use my iphone to its full capabilities in the car.
Understandable. I love bass but not too much. Only have a 10'' in my trunk but it takes up so much room.

I use a phone mount as my GPS, didn't think I needed android auto/carplay until I used a rental car and it was so convenient. Just waiting on funds to upgrade since the last HU I got was in 2016, pioneer HU buttons just started breaking for some reason. Don't think I'll return to that brand anytime soon.
Bardia (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #14
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelsew View Post
So far I have only found 2 sources for 200mm wide carplay headunits, but neither are wireless (The kenwood may have a newer version with wireless). Both of them have threads on this forum:

Pioneer AVH-ZL5150
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128548

Kenwood DDX917WS
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115989

Both of which are not sold in North America, but can be sourced on places like ebay and some international sellers.
Both are a few years old, and the Kenwood seems to be set up for RHD for its hard knobs. I can get the Pioneer here, but is there an adapter/harness somewhere to make it plug n play?

@YamahaR86 ....I definitely want a capacitive screen like you suggested. I hate the resistive screen in the MY13 HU; it is one of my biggest gripes. The Pioneer unit above appears to be resistive.

Last edited by Irace86.2.0; 12-16-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote