follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 10-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #61503
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,974 Times in 2,194 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
Anyone do work working?

I got a ikea veneer wood desk im using as a headboard for my bed and i drilled the two 3/8 holes too far out, so i made new ones. now the headboard is all mounted but i got two holes to stare at..
Does the glove box cigarette lighter plug fit?
Old 10-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #61504
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
You're safe.

Google tells me:

"Bernal Heights remained undeveloped until the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. Built atop bedrock, the hill's structures survived the tremor, and the sparseness of the development saved much of Bernal from the ravages of the firestorm that followed."

humfrz
Yeah, my wife's uncle told me the same thing yesterday about the same time I took that picture lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-06-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #61505
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Does the glove box cigarette lighter plug fit?
haha no.. its a 3/8th hole the cigarette lighter is a bit too big

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Fill with dowel for a mismatched fix. Fill partially with dowel if you can find plugs in the same species stained right (whether you have to stain yourself or not). Or full fill if you find veneer. Or find a decorative something to cover... Say, tie-downs or lion heads or unicorns or anything at all...
Im gonna head to a hobby store and see if i can find some round stock in like pine or popular. if i can ill saw down a half inch plug and glue it to the back and then fill the rest in with bondo and sand and paint it.
its just a black veneer so worst comes to worse. i have to self etch primer and then lay some cheap rustoleum black paint on it. probably in matt. and then call it good enough

the other cheaper and lazier option is finding a neat blanket and stapleing it to the back and boom no more bolts or holes
Old 10-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #61506
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Im gonna head to a hobby store and see if i can find some round stock in like pine or popular. if i can ill saw down a half inch plug and glue it to the back and then fill the rest in with bondo and sand and paint it.

Any hardware store or lumber yard should have 3/8" dowel. Get a door trim saw (should be small, cheap, and flexible) and it'll give you a nice flush cut. Glue the dowel in place, THEN cut. You push the blade flat against the surface - it flexes to allow this, and if you're careful it won't mar the surface No need for bondo. A good fit should be flush and clean. If you're painting or veneering and need filler, good old spackle works just as well (the stuff you fill holes in the wall with).

A true craftsman isn't measured by making few mistakes... it's by how they're handled.

Googly eyes over the holes might work too...
Old 10-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #61507
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,512 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
the other cheaper and lazier option is finding a neat blanket and stapleing it to the back and boom no more bolts or holes
I just cut a few toothpicks in half, wet the cut ends with a little glue and stuff them into the drilled hole. Once they fill the space, I continue wedging with the tapered ends and gently tap them home. 3/8" might be too much to fill this way but I figured I'd share.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:46 PM   #61508
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Don't know about Breguet watches but IBM Mainframes are replaced all the time.
LOL! Yes! We just got z14s and Power8s this year.

The people that are working on them I mean at least my place we are starting to see a lot of peeps retire and it's bad.

Somebody high up at Swatch told me before about Breguet watchmakers retiring and losing technical expertise at the company.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-06-2019), Ultramaroon (10-06-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #61509
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,935 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I just cut a few toothpicks in half, wet the cut ends with a little glue and stuff them into the drilled hole. Once they fill the space, I continue wedging with the tapered ends and gently tap them home. 3/8" might be too much to fill this way but I figured I'd share.
Something else that works well, if you are cutting boards of the same type is to use the sawdust and a little wood glue to make a paste. I've used that in the past, even works OK when staining.

In this case, I think the dowel should work OK, as would the decorative cover like some draw pulls.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-06-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 03:51 PM   #61510
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Something else that works well, if you are cutting boards of the same type is to use the sawdust and a little wood glue to make a paste. I've used that in the past, even works OK when staining.

In this case, I think the dowel should work OK, as would the decorative cover like some draw pulls.

This can work really well. This can be a bear to sand though... need a good wood to glue ratio for it to work out.
Dadhawk (10-06-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #61511
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
………..

There is a big group pushing for legalization of pot and growing. Everyone just drives to Ontario Oregon for pot. With it legal in every state and country bordering us, I think it will just be a matter of time.
OK, now is your chance to get in on the ground floor. Lease some potato fields, that suffered blight and the farmers are hurting and hire an agronomist/pot head as a consultant, contract a farm manager and prepare to set up some distribution channels.

Then, when the law changes - BAMB - you will be ready to be a gentleman farmer. -

humfrz
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #61512
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,239 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
OK, now is your chance to get in on the ground floor. Lease some potato fields, that suffered blight and the farmers are hurting and hire an agronomist/pot head as a consultant, contract a farm manager and prepare to set up some distribution channels.

Then, when the law changes - BAMB - you will be ready to be a gentleman farmer. -

humfrz
I'm not that smart. Maybe we can partner up?

I'm all for the state gubment doing it and just lowering everyone's taxes. State already has the brick and mortar liquor stores, just add pot. Keep the price lower than Oregon and whammo, tons of money for the state.

Have a lottery for what farms can grow, and limit each to no more than an acre, New lottery every couple years to spread the wealth with farmers.

Tons of testing, so no products killing people.

Win all around.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #61513
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I actually like gambling better at the Red Dog than I do in reno.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #61514
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyone do work working?

I got a ikea veneer wood desk im using as a headboard for my bed and i drilled the two 3/8 holes too far out, so i made new ones. now the headboard is all mounted but i got two holes to stare at..

can i just use like bondo or a wood filler/ or should I find some 3/8 stock and glue it in place, then sand it flush and paint over it?

I was contemplating vs painting doing a vinyl wrap. or maybe a cheap wallpaper for aesthetics but you know..

Project 9x10 micro bedroom is in full bloom right now
it's ikea furniture. use the spackle to fill it, sand, and paint. will likely need 3-4 coats of spackle and sanding.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #61515
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Anyone do work working?

can i just use like bondo or a wood filler/ or should I find some 3/8 stock and glue it in place, then sand it flush and paint over it?

I was contemplating vs painting doing a vinyl wrap. or maybe a cheap wallpaper for aesthetics but you know..

Project 9x10 micro bedroom is in full bloom right now
For cryen out loud, Clutch Dog, snap out of it -

Don't be overengineering this situation (like several people are advocating - ).

It's a fucking bedroom! Just how much time do you spend in there looking at the headboard? -

Just go to Lowes, buy a couple of Hillman black plastic plugs and push them in place. After a few days/nights you won't even notice them!

SMH

humfrz
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-06-2019), Tcoat (10-06-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #61516
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I took my truck to a local shop. I'm still trying to find shops I feel comfortable with.

Took it to Roger's tire and service. They had it the week I was gone. Brought it in for the bent axle, and told them while it was here, do a radiator flush, transmission service, and oil change.

They did everything but the axle. Didn't even look at it. First line on the ticket, and no one saw it.

Finding a new shop.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-06-2019), spike021 (10-07-2019), Ultramaroon (10-07-2019)
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis