follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Subaru BRZ

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #71
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice progression! I remember the initial Nurburgring videos showed the FT having a lot of body roll. Now it seems a bit more planted! Not sure which route they went with, Bilsteins or Sachs, either way they are tuning this bad boy!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #72
bigbcraig

Drives: 2013 BRZ / 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
Nice progression! I remember the initial Nurburgring videos showed the FT having a lot of body roll. Now it seems a bit more planted! Not sure which route they went with, Bilsteins or Sachs, either way they are tuning this bad boy!
Motons. It'll be a good deal as a $5,000 option

Body movement is very composed, so its probably a pretty nice chassis...
too bad we'll probably have to get some high-quality coilovers and replacle all the bushings to get it
bigbcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #73
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I matched up one of the turns with spy video of the 1er 5-door from a few days ago.

http://youtubedoubler.com/SbQ

You can really see how flat the ft86 is in comparison. I timed them both and they are pretty much identical but the ft86 definitely carries more momentum through the turn. It also sounds like the tires are making pretty much the same noise to my earlier cries of understeer are probably unfounded.

The BMW was practically on 2 wheels on turn in while the ft86 seemed to stay planted.

Here's the turn where I am seeing understeer.

http://youtubedoubler.com/Sg0

Looks like the BMW is able to get itself sorted out and set up for the next turn a lot faster than the Suby

edit... looks like it was just a bad line. The beginning of the video is the same turn and the Suby looks a lot more sorted

http://youtubedoubler.com/Sgi

Last edited by Spaceywilly; 06-14-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #74
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbcraig View Post
Motons. It'll be a good deal as a $5,000 option

Body movement is very composed, so its probably a pretty nice chassis...
too bad we'll probably have to get some high-quality coilovers and replacle all the bushings to get it
Usually the aftermarket suspension that is offered as an option tends to be a step lower grade then what you can find at a performance shop (I'm assuming).

Motons is $$$! There was a guy selling his suspension on nasioc! Bought it for 12K but ended up selling it for $4,500.

I've been a fan of the 'original gold' so that might be my suspension of choice. Hopefully they'll have it available.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #75
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceywilly View Post
I matched up one of the turns with spy video of the 1er 5-door from a few days ago.

http://youtubedoubler.com/SbQ

You can really see how flat the ft86 is in comparison. I timed them both and they are pretty much identical but the ft86 definitely carries more momentum through the turn. It also sounds like the tires are making pretty much the same noise to my earlier cries of understeer are probably unfounded.

The BMW was practically on 2 wheels on turn in while the ft86 seemed to stay planted.

Here's the turn where I am seeing understeer.

http://youtubedoubler.com/Sg0

Looks like the BMW is able to get itself sorted out and set up for the next turn a lot faster than the Suby

edit... looks like it was just a bad line. The beginning of the video is the same turn and the Suby looks a lot more sorted

http://youtubedoubler.com/Sgi
That BMW is all over the place in the third video.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #76
bigbcraig

Drives: 2013 BRZ / 2015 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
Usually the aftermarket suspension that is offered as an option tends to be a step lower grade then what you can find at a performance shop (I'm assuming).

Motons is $$$! There was a guy selling his suspension on nasioc! Bought it for 12K but ended up selling it for $4,500.

I've been a fan of the 'original gold' so that might be my suspension of choice. Hopefully they'll have it available.
original gold? sorry

Otherwise, I agree, things like upgraded suspension and audio are best done by the aftermarket... But if there was a way to get a high quality shock that was actually an aftermarket model and not a "made-by" then I'd jump on it. In the aftermarket, I'd be looking at something like KW at the very least, in terms of quality. Even if it means I can only afford to do KWs, tires on the stick rims, and basic brake upgrades with homemade ducting, and stripped interior.

At Atlanta Region SCCA Solo, theres a guy with an E36 (don't remember if its an M or not) that's really fast. His Motons are supposedly about 2/3 the money put into the car.
bigbcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #77
AaronCompNetSys

Drives: 01' S2000; 05' WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Lift off the throttle hard through a corner in an understeery FWD car, the ass will come round faster than a stripper who you throw $100 bills at.
Full of win.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #78
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
bigbcraig:

When you are talking about the Subarus losing camber in corners, is that because of the big squishy rubber top mounts of the struts? Would proper bearings fix this?

(My Legacy's only a daily, but I'm accumulating some WRX/STI bits that may or may not fit. So far I've got some GD WRX struts and springs, and some STi front aluminum LCAs with the 'good' mounts/ALK part, whatever that meant...)

Name:  brzft86.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  262.7 KB

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #79
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronCompNetSys View Post
Full of win.
At the strip club I frequent, I only need 5's for the same effect. (Drink 'til they're hot...)

Because titanium.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #80
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Drives: U Mad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
bigbcraig:

When you are talking about the Subarus losing camber in corners, is that because of the big squishy rubber top mounts of the struts? Would proper bearings fix this?

(My Legacy's only a daily, but I'm accumulating some WRX/STI bits that may or may not fit. So far I've got some GD WRX struts and springs, and some STi front aluminum LCAs with the 'good' mounts/ALK part, whatever that meant...)
For the BD chassis you want to stay with GC8 parts, it's the same chassis. Though GD struts/springs and coilovers do fit. I had a BD and swapped/built it, besides the 04 wrx drivetrain all suspension bits were from a jdm gc8 impreza sti all the way down to the Cusco undercarriage braces.

Subaru have a funky cambr/caster curve but it is nowhere near a Mustangs wild curves when lowering it 1" throws the whole front geometry off.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #81
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAImportTuner View Post
For the BD chassis you want to stay with GC8 parts, it's the same chassis. Though GD struts/springs and coilovers do fit. I had a BD and swapped/built it, besides the 04 wrx drivetrain all suspension bits were from a jdm gc8 impreza sti all the way down to the Cusco undercarriage braces.

Subaru have a funky cambr/caster curve but it is nowhere near a Mustangs wild curves when lowering it 1" throws the whole front geometry off.
Iv encountered that same thing too with Subaru suspensions. I suppose it has to do working with AWD.

On a side note, I wonder if Subaru, being somewhat new to RWD will adopt a form of active rear steering.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #82
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
Iv encountered that same thing too with Subaru suspensions. I suppose it has to do working with AWD.

On a side note, I wonder if Subaru, being somewhat new to RWD will adopt a form of active rear steering.
NO! Don't even make jokes about crap like that!

Because titanium.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:42 AM   #83
Clode

Drives: Toyota / Lexus
Toyota says they have taken the cayman as a reference point

Clode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:52 AM   #84
ryun84

Drives: 04 PSM WRX Wagon
That would explain why all the spyshots and videos seem to have Cayman cameos (too many for it to be coincidence?).
ryun84 is offline   Reply With Quote