follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
vaporiz

Drives: 350z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dilemma

So I'm about transfer to a university in 2 years and I current drive a 1995 Maxima (currently sitting at 203,456 miles). I know I'm going to need to get a new car soon.

Heres my problem. Should I buy a new FR-S? I saved enough over the years to make a down payment of $10,000 then finance the rest comfortably.

Or should I buy a used 350z (I've always wanted one since I was a little kid) and not have to worry about financing it during school?

Only thing about buying a new car is that I'm going to have a higher debt afterwards, but if I time everything right, I should be able to finish financing the FR-S as soon as I graduate.

My parents say that they want me to have a reliable ride during school and not have car issues like with a used car.

So judging from these circumstances, 350z or FR-S?
vaporiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Do you really need a car? Where are you going to school :O On most campuses a car isn't really practical due to parking, although if it's an expensive area and you would rather live somewhere cheap and commute then a car makes sense.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporiz View Post
So I'm about transfer to a university in 2 years and I current drive a 1995 Maxima (currently sitting at 203,456 miles). I know I'm going to need to get a new car soon.

Heres my problem. Should I buy a new FR-S? I saved enough over the years to make a down payment of $10,000 then finance the rest comfortably.

Or should I buy a used 350z (I've always wanted one since I was a little kid) and not have to worry about financing it during school?

Only thing about buying a new car is that I'm going to have a higher debt afterwards, but if I time everything right, I should be able to finish financing the FR-S as soon as I graduate.

My parents say that they want me to have a reliable ride during school and not have car issues like with a used car.

I would love to say FRS, but in reality, being financially stable is what is most important.

If you are absolutely sure you can pay off this car somewhat easily, then it's a good deal.

BUT, if you're on the edge financially, then having payments can be a terrible burden. If something bad happened that required a lot of your money, then you could be in a bad situation.

350Zs are reliable (I think) and finding a fairly low mile one shouldn't be too hard. It seems like a good option to get one if it keeps you at peace with the wallet.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
DieDriving
I aint no snitch

Drives: 330i, C300, "00 lude, "94 Accord
Dont forget insurance....young and sport car mean killer insurance premium....I doubt you can get used low mileage 350z for 10G.....I say hang onto your old car as long as possible.....
Attached Images

DieDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
SLeRoux92

Drives: 2005 Nissan Xterra
used 350z= beaten on IMO
Old 02-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Bob
Hattori Hanzo's steel

Drives: Audi B5 A4 1.8TQM, Kia Forte 5dr
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLeRoux92 View Post
used 350z= beaten on IMO
bingo.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporiz View Post

Zs are too heavy, incredibly ugly and sound like crap. FRS is lighter, better looking, and doesn't sound like a motorized queef. Answer to your question-FRS /End thread
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #8
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Why do people think at 200xxx the car is not reliable as long its properly taken care of it'll last at least until you get out of the U.

This topic should be like this, "I'm bored with my car and I wanna drive something else preferably a sports car".

If there is one thing in life a young person should learn is this "Life never goes according to plan. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best."

If you are worried about debt honestly save that 10g and accumulate wealth. Jobs are never a guaranteed after you graduate and you don't get the income you are expected to get. (Look at Occupy Wall Street).

I'd drive that maxima to the ground before I'd think about buying a new ride especially in college. I drove my taco throughout college and still drive it now. 210xxx miles and going.

And to your topic I'd go 5g on the cheapest trim FR-s 1000-1500 towards a yr of insurance and 4-5g in savings just in case something happens or you get a GF, etc etc.
S2kphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
suprachica79

Drives: free Hyundai, 2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kphile View Post
Why do people think at 200xxx the car is not reliable as long its properly taken care of it'll last at least until you get out of the U.

This topic should be like this, "I'm bored with my car and I wanna drive something else preferably a sports car".

If there is one thing in life a young person should learn is this "Life never goes according to plan. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best."

If you are worried about debt honestly save that 10g and accumulate wealth. Jobs are never a guaranteed after you graduate and you don't get the income you are expected to get. (Look at Occupy Wall Street).

I'd drive that maxima to the ground before I'd think about buying a new ride especially in college. I drove my taco throughout college and still drive it now. 210xxx miles and going.

And to your topic I'd go 5g on the cheapest trim FR-s 1000-1500 towards a yr of insurance and 4-5g in savings just in case something happens or you get a GF, etc etc.
I can not stress this enough. I went to a private school expecting to graduate with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree and get a job right out of college making 100k+ a year. Remember, unlike most degrees, if you have a PharmD you are guaranteed a job out of school. I didn't end up putting in the time, and graduated with a different degree. I initially went to that school because I knew I'd be able to afford my student loans from making 6 figures a year. Now, I just found a job a year and a half later on a 2-year temp contract making $22 an hour, no health insurance, no paid time off, and my student loan payments are $850 a month for 25 years.

Moral of the story - don't expect life to go the way you planned, mine hasn't gone in any direction that I had thought. Even now, the job I'm doing is vastly different, although still in the pharma industry, than I had ever imagined. Save money, drive the beater around as long as possible, and pay down as much of your student debt as you can when you're in school. The more you sacrafice now, the less you will have to in the future. Shit, look at me, I'll be 24 this summer, I work 2 jobs and go to night classes to get my Masters and I live with my parents, all because life didn't go the way I planned. When you are a kid you don't think about this stuff, but try to think of the future, you'll be better off for it.

So to answer your question, I wouldn't buy either. You're a kid, save your money, you don't need a brand new car with a big car loan and high insurance premium. There are plenty of $5000 fun cars out there that are still reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
Reminds me that I need to work on finding a JDM girlfriend, or maybe JDM modified for US use as I don't think I could learn Japanese.

Last edited by suprachica79; 02-14-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Typo
suprachica79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Keep the Maxima, focus on class, and spend whatever extra money you have on alcohol and girls.

On a slightly more serious note, I pretty much agree with everything that suprachick posted. Things change a lot in four years during college. I would do everything you can to limit your financial handicaps by the time graduation rolls around.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprachica79 View Post
I can not stress this enough. I went to a private school expecting to graduate with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree and get a job right out of college making 100k+ a year. Remember, unlike most degrees, if you have a PharmD you are guaranteed a job out of school. I didn't end up putting in the time, and graduated with a different degree. I initially went to that school because I knew I'd be able to afford my student loans from making 6 figures a year. Now, I just found a job a year and a half later on a 2-year temp contract making $22 an hour, no health insurance, no paid time off, and my student loan payments are $850 a month for 25 years.

Moral of the story - don't expect life to go the way you planned, mine hasn't gone in any direction that I had thought. Even now, the job I'm doing is vastly different, although still in the pharma industry, than I had ever imagined. Save money, drive the beater around as long as possible, and pay down as much of your student debt as you can when you're in school. Then more you sacrafice now, the less you will have to in the future. Shit, look at me, I'll be 24 this summer, I work 2 jobs and go to night classes to get my Masters and I live with my parents, all because life didn't go the way I planned. When you are a kid you don't think about this stuff, but try to think of the future, you'll be better off for it.

So to answer your question, I wouldn't buy either. You're a kid, save your money, you don't need a brand new car with a big car loan and high insurance premium. There are plenty of $5000 fun cars out there that are still reliable.
+1

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
vaporiz

Drives: 350z
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprachica79 View Post

Moral of the story - don't expect life to go the way you planned, mine hasn't gone in any direction that I had thought. Even now, the job I'm doing is vastly different, although still in the pharma industry, than I had ever imagined. Save money, drive the beater around as long as possible, and pay down as much of your student debt as you can when you're in school. The more you sacrafice now, the less you will have to in the future. Shit, look at me, I'll be 24 this summer, I work 2 jobs and go to night classes to get my Masters and I live with my parents, all because life didn't go the way I planned. When you are a kid you don't think about this stuff, but try to think of the future, you'll be better off for it.

wow thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just get another beater after my current car.

I guess my friends are just making my ego high. He bought a 328i and he's going to college right now and I honestly don't know how he affords that ._.
vaporiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Very nice responses. I'm trying to see if I can forgo a car until I graduate. That would make college a bit cheaper.

If you will have no college loans, saving money, pay half upfront, and have more than adequate income, only then would I say go for the FRS. New cars are inherently more expensive than used. And unless you really want a 350z, wait IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote