follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

View Poll Results: N/A?
Yes 35 55.56%
Yes 28 44.44%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #43
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
Bolded part: You should study up on drifting a bit more by that statement, especially when it comes to sliding your ass downhill. Balance is extremely important. (Overall car balance, not just one static attribute like weight distribution)
I understand more HP will not make it a less fun car to drive. The point I'm driving at, is, HP numbers should not / will not/ better not be the main focal point of this cars final product or Toyota will have completely missed the bullseye. Likewise, people wanting this car to be a high HP car so they can even mess with other high HP cars (like Camaro's, Mustangs, Corvettes) are wanting this car for the wrong reason. There are plenty of car's out there to do this with already. Toyota should keep their main focus on handling and driver-feel, above all else.
I'd like the car to do three things: Turn, brake, and accelerate. If it can do all of that reasonably well, it's balanced.

I didn't say the car should be an overpowered drag car with a wheelie bar.

I couldn't care less about sliding the car anywhere, and neither will 95% of the people who purchase one. That aspect of its "balance" is utterly irrelevant in the real world.

I sure hope you don't take your car sideways on public roads...

But, anyway, if you intend to kick out the rear and hold a power slide, more power will help there too. A turbo isn't going to upset the balance. Give me a break.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:23 AM   #44
Franisco

Drives: D31a
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ehhh, yeah...find that post, because I would never say I would want the 'loudest' exhaust.

I did state, in the mods thread, that I would probably get the dealership installed TRD sport exhaust, if its an option.

The only thing LOUD I would want on this car is 4 individual stacks gurgling their hatred at you. (they hate you, not me. =P Because ITB's are evil....a good evil.)
Quote:
4th: Intake/Exhaust, because my cars gotta be loud...
Franisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 AM   #45
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

Drives: Crappy old '90 civic. Frankie.

Win.
Lexicon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:56 AM   #46
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon101 View Post

Win.
He'll rebut that "loud" is not equivalent to "the loudest"... it will go on like that for three more pages

Ah, shit -- now I've done it... [4]
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #47
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
well theres a difference (to me atleast) between LOUD and LOUDEST --

Loud for me doesn't occur till > 3000-4000rpm. and before that is subtle but noticable; a Symphony of engine acoustics that make you look and say "that sounds sexy". After that its Loud, but in no way obnoxious or obtrusive.

LOUDEST is beyond any measure of a pleasant experience and will be found on the typical civic ricer, or cavalier, or sunfire, or whatever, and will make you reminisce about your neighbours garage band that consists of crying cats and out of tune guitars which pierce your body and leaving you feel violated and naked. (that coming from the guy who loves Metal)

Big difference between what you guys THINK he means, and what he ACTUALLY means.
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #48
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly.Andrew View Post
well theres a difference (to me atleast) between LOUD and LOUDEST --

Loud for me doesn't occur till > 3000-4000rpm. and before that is subtle but noticable; a Symphony of engine acoustics that make you look and say "that sounds sexy". After that its Loud, but in no way obnoxious or obtrusive.

LOUDEST is beyond any measure of a pleasant experience and will be found on the typical civic ricer, or cavalier, or sunfire, or whatever, and will make you reminisce about your neighbours garage band that consists of crying cats and out of tune guitars which pierce your body and leaving you feel violated and naked. (that coming from the guy who loves Metal)

Big difference between what you guys THINK he means, and what he ACTUALLY means.
They're just trying to get Oldskool to argue since he and Jordo have had some nice arguments before. :happy0180:

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #49
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
oh... well... (deletes previous post)
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #50
cloud9
SR20 S13

Drives: 240sx
Quote:
You missed the point completely. You're stance that N/A is "80s technology" is laughable at best.

Exactly what information on the FT-86 that has been given for us to assume its using old technology?

Nothing. Quite the opposite actually. And if you're worried about how many ponies you got kickin' under the hood from the factory, then you're missing the entire point of this car's existance.
Ok, obviously you need help with common sense. Who in the world would consider the amount of pistons old technology.

Maybe just MAYBE im saying the FI is old technology, or the fact you want ITB's.... thats really fucking efficient... <--- sarcasm

"As I said to the other thread, FI is a bit feminine. I agree (besides the saving kittens part, I hate cats) with the N/A route." -Blokatos (aka) the reason i mentioned it, next time i make a comment ill draw you a picture.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #51
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Not to nitpick, but OST you did say something about wanting the loudest exhaust you could find.
Quote:
4th: Intake/Exhaust, because my cars gotta be loud...
Impressive Franisco, you proved.....

Good job.

@cloud, next time you're specifically aiming a response at someone, its common sense to quote their post, so as to not cause confusion. Otherwise people will assume you're replying to the post above you're own. Or use @, as I have elected to do because I'm too lazy to copy paste. Yes, there is such a level of laziness.

@jordo: Well of course I am. Its a blatant fault in his argument.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #52
Franisco

The fact still remains that you're going to make your car loud through some exhaust system, and the car will generally not be that fast. I'm not going to argue; to each his own
Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #53
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franisco View Post
The fact still remains that you're going to make your car loud through some exhaust system, and the car will generally not be that fast. I'm not going to argue; to each his own
Yeah, it reminds me of my N/A Mk3 Supra tbh.

In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't really that fast (I'm not being sarcastic, fyi). It was torquey and it had a really good powerband, but it wasn't fast in the modern sense. In hindsight I should've never put on that HKS sport cat-back and freed up intake flow as well. The spine-chilling low rumble of the L6 at idle, and its roarous climb through the power range, just wasn't worth it because the car wasn't that fast.

Lets not even get started on the AE86!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 AM   #54
Franisco

Haha, even after that I still don't agree with you. To me if I'm throwing money at a car its going to have some overall performance potential, I don't just want it to sound good. What you did there gave you what? 10-30hp? $300 to make it sound good?...little ricey to me
Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #55
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Quote:
Haha, even after that I still don't agree with you. To me if I'm throwing money at a car its going to have some overall performance potential, I don't just want it to sound good. What you did there gave you what? 10-30hp? $300 to make it sound good?...little ricey to me
Lol what? 10-30hp for $300 is incredible. How in the world is that ricey? I'd love to be able to spend $300 and get 10-30hp out of my S. And I guess the FT isn't going to have any performance potential so there's no need to throw an exhaust on it amirite?

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #56
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Garage
Quote:
SK2 pointed it out, I'm pointing it out again. Thats a really good HP gain for $300, ESPECIALLY in an N/A. (and especially if it were 30! Talk about money WELL spent).

Young grasspooper still have much to learn!

Your defintion of rice is also skewed.