follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #29
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
GTFO.......
Wash the sand out of your vagina. The pics I posted were visual references, nada mas.

Guess you'll just have to wait and see, but if you think the cars are gonna be far apart you really have another thing coming.

I don't mind Toyota/Subaru proving me wrong, I'd really like to have that dilemma of "wow, which one of these two awesome cars should I buy".

But yeah... fat chance.

p.s. The sky/ opel GT had a whopping 6 pound differnce. Hmmm. skipping Lunch and having a shit could make that difference on a good day.

Dueces.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #30
dilly-o

Drives: 1996 300ZX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
Yeah, that makes sense... different markets. But at the same time the FT86/FR-S all over the world should be very similar (i.e. cheap everywhere), so I doubt there is going to be much of a price difference just because it is marketed under Scion rather than Toyota? Edit: Take this point - if the tC or xB were marketed under Toyota in the US do any of you think the price would be much different?
i spose i'd better take ichi's advice and chill about Scion's image, i thought it was well established that Scion was rubbish, hence all the hand-wringing about it being a Scion in North America.

Its hard to compare apples to apples when you're talking about pricing in other countries. the exchange rate conversion is not all there is - taxes, model specs, and tons of other things must be accounted for. for example when you see a price on a new car in USA, no tax is included. I believe the opposite is true in NZ, AUS, UK...

Quote:
I'm from Levin, in the Manawatu. Currently at Massey University in Palmy Nth.
i married a girl from palmy, every day i fear she will want us to move back there, LOL
dilly-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #31
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilly-o View Post
i spose i'd better take ichi's advice and chill about Scion's image, i thought it was well established that Scion was rubbish, hence all the hand-wringing about it being a Scion in North America.
LOL I, myself am not fan of SCION... but give em some chance. Cuz this car will make or break SCION/Toyota image. IMO
Old 05-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #32
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Wash the sand out of your vagina. The pics I posted were visual references, nada mas.

Guess you'll just have to wait and see, but if you think the cars are gonna be far apart you really have another thing coming.

I don't mind Toyota/Subaru proving me wrong, I'd really like to have that dilemma of "wow, which one of these two awesome cars should I buy".

But yeah... fat chance.

p.s. The sky/ opel GT had a whopping 6 pound differnce. Hmmm. skipping Lunch and having a shit could make that difference on a good day.

Dueces.
Actually my comparison was the Pontiac Solstice vs. Saturn Sky/Opel GT; not Sky vs. Opel GT. Get it? You posted the pictures as a reference to show how other cars in the past built off the same platform didn't differ. I proved you wrong on two fronts regarding the horsepower and weight. So please pinch your taint for me for the huge fail on your part for not doing due diligence in actually researching the difference in the examples you were giving. You said weight wouldn't differ. I showed you it could by anywhere from 10-40kg on past examples of same platform cars. You said hp wouldn't differ, I proved you wrong there. All of those examples (evidence) that I actually provided you with showed that the Toyota/Scion vs. Subaru could (not will) differ by 5-10hp and 10-50kg.

So once again the example that you just quoted was me comparing the Solstice vs. Sky/Opel GT. NOT NOT NOT the Sky vs. Opel GT as you just did. Cool?
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #33
tranzformer

I should also add that I think the Subaru will not come with a hood scoop as some renderings had it. I know no turbo so no sense in hood scoop. However some will think there might be one ala the 2.5RS. But I will say no hood scoop even as a NA car.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #34
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Actually my comparison was the Pontiac Solstice vs. Saturn Sky/Opel GT; not Sky vs. Opel GT. Get it? You posted the pictures as a reference to show how other cars in the past built off the same platform didn't differ. I proved you wrong on two fronts regarding the horsepower and weight. So please pinch your taint for me for the huge fail on your part for not doing due diligence in actually researching the difference in the examples you were giving. You said weight wouldn't differ. I showed you it could by anywhere from 10-40kg on past examples of same platform cars. You said hp wouldn't differ, I proved you wrong there. All of those examples (evidence) that I actually provided you with showed that the Toyota/Scion vs. Subaru could (not will) differ by 5-10hp and 10-50kg.

So once again the example that you just quoted was me comparing the Solstice vs. Sky/Opel GT. NOT NOT NOT the Sky vs. Opel GT as you just did. Cool?

I posted to show that they didn't LOOK much different. I made a comparisson between a sky and an opel gt. Don't see a pic of the solstice anywhere. K, champ? Get over yourself about trying to "prove" me wrong.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #35
tranzformer

Quote:
I posted to show that they didn't LOOK much different. I made a comparisson between a sky and an opel gt. Don't see a pic of the solstice anywhere. K, champ? Get over yourself about trying to "prove" me wrong.
So then where did the "no difference in hp" and "no difference in weight" comments come from?

Edit: I never said there would be huge differences in appearances either. I wrote "very subtle" differences in the body work. The examples you gave do have very subtle differences along with the Eclipse vs. Talon, 3000GT vs. Stealth, Mazda B series vs. Ranger...etc. All of those have the same general shape and appearance. However they do have subtle differences. Even the Vibe vs. Matrix has subtle differences. Same with Opel GT vs. Saturn Sky. Subtle differences.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:26 AM   #36
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
Quote:

Its hard to compare apples to apples when you're talking about pricing in other countries. the exchange rate conversion is not all there is - taxes, model specs, and tons of other things must be accounted for. for example when you see a price on a new car in USA, no tax is included. I believe the opposite is true in NZ, AUS, UK...
Yeah, I understand the taxes, etc. add up the price. What I meant by 'cheap everywhere' was relatively, over here $55-65K would be considered cheap (or in the $20-$25K USD) range for this car.

Quote:
i married a girl from palmy, every day i fear she will want us to move back there, LOL
Wish I had that sort of luck... Sadly, the Supra is a cock magnet much more than a chick magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Quick Q. Is there a Toyota Zelas selling over there and how much?
Nope, no Toyota Zelas here. Nothing of a different name (but same car)either.

For reference, our base Corolla (5 Dr Hatch, 1.8L Manual) is $34,490 RRP
Old 05-20-2011, 02:59 AM   #37
[es vi: eks]

Drives: Subaru Legacy
Quote:
Yeah, I understand the taxes, etc. add up the price. What I meant by 'cheap everywhere' was relatively, over here $55-65K would be considered cheap (or in the $20-$25K USD) range for this car.

Nope, no Toyota Zelas here. Nothing of a different name (but same car)either.

For reference, our base Corolla (5 Dr Hatch, 1.8L Manual) is $34,490 RRP
Just to add to your prices in NZ but for Subaru impreza range.

Base impreza for 2011
2.0R Hatch/Sedan $33990.00 5MT RRP inc GST

2.0R Sport Hatch/Sedan 5MT $36990.00

WRX Hatch/Sedan 5MT $45990.00

WRX STI Hatch/Sedan 6MT $63490.00

WRX STI SPEC.R Hatch/Sedan 6MT $74990.00
[es vi: eks] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #38
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
^ Anyone care to comment about the prices of those cars in the US?

I had a quick look at the US base corolla (although I couldn't find much, the website isn't all that good for pricing), and it seems the base is $16,990 for the Corolla Sedan (do you have a hatch in the US?). Ours is about two times as much after all tax, etc. is added.

I worked out the $55K-65K price for the Toyobaru a little while ago using the US's base Impreza price comparing it to our base Impreza price, but I would be happy to see some more price comparisons!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #39
colHolm
Default User Title

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

This is the best example of how the three models will differentiate themselves. Badges, and little details.

All three will be essentially the same. Minor differences in trim, standard features and whatnot, but the body will be damn close.
colHolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #40
dilly-o

Drives: 1996 300ZX
Quote:
Originally Posted by [es vi: eks] View Post
Just to add to your prices in NZ but for Subaru impreza range.

Base impreza for 2011
2.0R Hatch/Sedan $33990.00 5MT RRP inc GST

2.0R Sport Hatch/Sedan 5MT $36990.00

WRX Hatch/Sedan 5MT $45990.00

WRX STI Hatch/Sedan 6MT $63490.00

WRX STI SPEC.R Hatch/Sedan 6MT $74990.00

WRX is probably the most direct comparison, as far as car specs go. looks like ya'll get the 2.5T, which surprises me. ours is $25,495 before sales tax.

yours is 45,990
minus 15% GST = 39,990
exchange rate adjustment 0.79 (but fluctuates a lot) = $31,593

so our cars are cheaper, but im sure there are other things not accounted for in this rough, dirty analysis.

in the USA at least, people think the toyobaru will start in the $20-$25k range, which is slightly cheaper than a WRX. So with any luck, your new toyobaru will cost you less than NZ$45k next year!
dilly-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #41
NikostC
JDM Enthusiast

Drives: Scion tC
Quote:
WRX is probably the most direct comparison, as far as car specs go. looks like ya'll get the 2.5T, which surprises me. ours is $25,495 before sales tax.

yours is 45,990
minus 15% GST = 39,990
exchange rate adjustment 0.79 (but fluctuates a lot) = $31,593

so our cars are cheaper, but im sure there are other things not accounted for in this rough, dirty analysis.

in the USA at least, people think the toyobaru will start in the $20-$25k range, which is slightly cheaper than a WRX. So with any luck, your new toyobaru will cost you less than NZ$45k next year!
Actually we get things for ~40% cheaper here in the USA iirc. so that 45,990 car would be $27,594

Yeah it will most likely sit just below the WRX in terms of price
NikostC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #42
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Are you sure bout that? Subaru have been changing a lot of thing. ex: Impreza is now separated from WRX & STI. Drop hp on Impreza for better eco. Bring new H4 engine (FB). Bring out 1.6L turbo ver and might come back to WRC world. Also there are few rumor bout they're planning to make hybrid car.

Subaru official really haven't said anything bout their ver... so technically they can use FB20/25. It's not like they need to change anything much.

Again, I'm just stating as possibility and IF I was them, I would do it this way... unless Toyota put a stop saying "No, you can't put stock FB20/25 engine".
I dunno Ichitaka, as few as they're making I can't see them actually using two different engines. I know we were talking about it but I'm not counting on it becoming a reality.

And I'm surprised you suggested it, Ichitaka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote