follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2023, 02:05 PM   #449
Stonehenge

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just wanted to say thanks to @Ultramaroon for this recommendation & user guide.
I have a 2016 BRZ RHD (being in the UK) owned for 6 months. The clutch developed the infamous screech from the fork pivot in December, so it made sense to try this mod at the same time as addressing the screech. Adjusting the bite point is pretty simple (following this guide), at least once you are upside down in the footwell! Rotating the push rod (rather than removing the bracket) allowed me to judge the pedal movement against the sensor switch which I found helpful. The new slave cylinder was only £36 from Euro Car Parts (for anyone in the UK) and is still Made in Japan. As suggested in the guide, I adjusted the bite point as low as possible, then swapped the slave cylinder, then re-adjusted the bite point down slightly once more.
I left the original assist spring in place and the clutch action is much better and still acceptably light. The pedal stroke remained within the recommended tolerance too, happy days. Driven 1,200 miles in the six weeks since making the swap and all’s well so far.
Stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonehenge For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 03:00 PM   #450
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,517 Times in 18,919 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehenge View Post
Driven 1,200 miles in the six weeks since making the swap and all’s well so far.
Welcome to the forum. I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying the change. One of these days I'll replace the perch I lost, and reinstall my assist spring. I still regret removing it.
Old 02-18-2023, 03:39 PM   #451
Stonehenge

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Welcome to the forum. I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying the change. One of these days I'll replace the perch I lost, and reinstall my assist spring. I still regret removing it.
Thanks! Glad I decided to leave the spring in place :-) It looked a nightmare to replace on RHD cars, which put me off trying it.
Stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 09:38 PM   #452
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
To each his own. I much prefer the clutch without the assist spring (I swapped the larger slave cylinder and have adjusted the pedal already).
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 09:58 PM   #453
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,517 Times in 18,919 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
The assist spring should be called the over-center, or cam spring because it does more than lighten the pedal. It is also a pedal return spring. Near the top of travel, it flips to hold the pedal up. Assuming that the turnbuckle for the bellcrank is adjusted properly, this keeps all engine and chassis vibration from being transmitted directly into the master cylinder when it isn't actually in use. Other designs have a dedicated return spring just for this purpose.

Tags
clutch line, slave cylinder