follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List
MisterSheep

Old 07-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #4957
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Samsung Galaxy S8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
What camera are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Blue Bird (07-28-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 03:16 AM   #4958
buddysim

Drives: 16 BRZ, 15 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Mines Rd week six, Sunday July 30th!
DMG that showed up late, I'll be able to make it tomorrow and I won't sleep in again. Del Puerto was empty other than that truck that passed us, hopefully it'll be the same tomorrow.

Last edited by buddysim; 08-11-2017 at 04:17 AM.
buddysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:40 AM   #4959
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Heads up, drive is Sunday the 30th, NOT Saturday, repeat NOT Saturday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddysim View Post
DMG that showed up late, I'll be able to make it tomorrow and I won't sleep in again. Del Puerto was empty other than that truck that passed us, hopefully it'll be the same tomorrow.

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 07-29-2017, 03:54 AM   #4960
buddysim

Drives: 16 BRZ, 15 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Heads up, drive is Sunday the 30th, NOT Saturday, repeat NOT Saturday!
I'm aware haha, I posted that sixteen minutes into Saturday, no worries.
buddysim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to buddysim For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #4961
My Key

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 - Raven
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've been sitting at Starbucks! Where's everybody at! >=(

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
My Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:12 PM   #4962
TheMedakaBox
[EUROBEAT INTENSIFIES]

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Steel
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
When's the next drive? I've been incognito for god knows how long and I'm ready for some canyon carving with you guys!
Old 07-31-2017, 10:36 PM   #4963
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

I host a Mines road drive every Sunday morning.

Next one will be on 8/6. Naturally, will do Mt. Ham after and then drive down into San Jose and over to Santa Clara for the 8/6 day event at Mann Engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMedakaBox View Post
When's the next drive? I've been incognito for god knows how long and I'm ready for some canyon carving with you guys!

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (08-01-2017), TheMedakaBox (07-31-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 04:17 PM   #4964
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

@Ryder86 what's up with that drone footage?

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 08-05-2017, 12:14 AM   #4965
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Mines Rd week six turned out to be another small group! Just my fellow '13 Ultramarine bro and @buddysim who rolled down all the way from Sacramento. Now that's dedication!

As we set out on Mines, I started to realize why he got up early to make the long trek down to drive this amazing road: He's a really good driver! I was setting an aggressive pace and he was hanging right with me. I definitely felt bad about the gravel that I'm sure my tires were kicking up.

Upon reaching the first single lane section, I thought to myself "I'll probably leave him behind in this section", and I proceeded to go hard. He stuck right with me and we carved the crap out of these slightly banked series of tight s-turns and hairpins. We did hit some traffic in/around this section that fortunately let us past after following them for a bit.

Pretty enjoyable but uneventful rest of the run down to The Junction. Mainly just some cyclists and birds to contend with! Or in the case of my experience about a half mile from the finish, both! I noticed a cyclist in my lane so I started to move well over into the other lane since I could see that there was no oncoming cars. Giving him a lot of room, I began to pass, and then noticed a rather large and ornate bird was on the road and scurrying away from my front bumper. I slowed down a bit and this caused the bird to continue on his path, which was right toward the front tire of the bike!

Fortunately the rider saw it in time to steady his handlebars in case of potential impact, but the bird just barley cleared the front tire and made it! He looked a little shakey/off balance as he reached down to steady his bike and possibly brace for impact. Sorry for leading that bird nearly right into your bike man!

At The Junction we got out and I expressed my excitement for how nice of a drive that just was. I mentioned how surprised I was that @buddysim was hanging right with me, and asked what type of suspension he was running. Wait for it, wait for it... STOCK! That's right! You heard it here first folks, stock is just as fast as $2,500 coilovers on Mines! With the right driver at least

We chatted for a bit and then drove Del Puerto out and back. I think I bottomed out 4 separate times. As I've mentioned in previous drives, this road is absolutely not lowered vehicle friendly, and I'm not even that low! Interestingly, I didn't really react or care that after each violent slam and scrape. Car seems fine and it pretty much comes with the territory. Like it or not, this kind of thing happens when you drive these roads, I'm just happy I'm out logging hard canyon miles instead of only using my twin for commuting or cruising on the freeway.

@buddysim headed back to the 5 in glorious fashion with a tire spinning UEL roaring dirt and rock burnout. Thanks for coming out man, great driving with you!

Headed back and had a thoroughly enjoyable lunch. Despite the delicious food, the conversation was the focal point. Heavy topics and real life shaping experiences, with a focus on the future and continuing to move forward.

Cruised back and took in the sights and sounds, Mines South to North while just going at a relaxed pace is an extremely enjoyable experience and a lot different from how I usually drive it.

I would call week six a success. Life is good.
Attached Images

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
BigFatFlip (08-05-2017), My Key (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 02:28 AM   #4966
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

...Which brings us to.. Mines Rd week seven, to Mt. Hamilton and beyond edition.

Sunday August 6th - meet between 8:30-9am at Starbucks on 223 S Vasco Rd, Livermore. Roll out shortly after 9 or when everyone is ready.

What better way to celebrate 8/6 day than to get up early for a canyon carving run? We'll drive Mines and then go up to Mt. Hamilton, then down and into San Jose to head over to Mann Engineering in Santa Clara for the 8/6 day event.

The event is officially starting at 10am, if you choose to come on this drive we'll obviously not being arriving at 10am, just a heads up!

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
BigFatFlip (08-05-2017), TheMedakaBox (08-06-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 02:23 AM   #4967
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Any interesting roads up near Pt. Reyes?

Just saw some people talking about it on IG and realized I haven't gone up there in years. Might be a nice drive.
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #4968
Mchilese

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Great drives over the weekend for me. No real creative routes, but still just solid drives. Inlaws are in town so I only had time early in the mornings. Wasn't looking to tear any roads up, just out for some cruising.

Saturday was crow-canyon out to Tassajara and then out to Tesla to I-5. Then back to Hayward on the 580. Only one cyclist near that lab out on Tesla, so they were easy to get around.

Sunday; CA35, past Alice's to Pescadero, Hwy-1 to .5-lunar-cove then back across the bridge. Oh man. Such a nice, peaceful drive. Nothing was in front of me nor behind me. Smooth roads, great temperature, and letting the little engine sing. Well, the muffler delete sounds better than the engine. Then on the way back, I got to see a real special car.

In the middle lane of the bridge, holding 60MPH the whole way was a Porsche 357 Speedster. What a gorgeous car that is. Owner smiling and cruising across the bay. I've loved the style of those cars since the moment I first saw one. It was great to see a beautiful, silver Speedster just out and enjoying the day.

I had two great early mornings of driving. No cyclists getting in the way, and no minivans mucking up curves. Just smooth cruising, with windows down to feel the cool air, enjoying the rolling golden hills of Livermore and pine trees of the coast while listening to the best driving soundtrack I have; a boxer-4.

Have a great week, everyone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mchilese For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (08-07-2017), Clipdat (08-07-2017), spike021 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 02:11 AM   #4969
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
In case you missed it in the other thread, I'm planning a Saturday morning cruise down to Canepa C&C.

We will do an early morning cruise down to the Canepa Cars & Coffee event.

Meet at Alice's at 6AM.
Alice's Restaurant, 17288 Skyline Blvd, Woodside, CA 94062

Alice's will not be open yet so bring your own coffee or light breakfast. We will drive from Alice's down Skyline to Hwy 9 to Scotts Valley. We will stop briefly in Scotts Valley at the Starbucks to meet up with any other folks that want to meet up before we roll into the Canepa Cars & Coffee together.

If you wish to meet with us at Scotts Valley we will be here between 6:45AM-7AM :
Starbucks Coffee, 219 Mt Hermon Rd B, Scotts Valley, CA 95066
Old 08-10-2017, 02:32 AM   #4970
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Mines Road week seven, 8/6 day edition, turned out to be an extremely relaxing and enjoyable drive!

Several things put me in a good mood on Sunday morning. The first thing was, after pulling into the 7-Eleven and checking my OFT, seeing that my adv multiplier was at .86 for 8/6 day. Not only was this a good omen for the day of driving that was to come, it's also the highest I've seen it in several months. Going to stick to using this 7-Eleven fuel if possible.

Next, was seeing my long time driving buddy @BigFatFlip waiting at the meetup spot! I'm glad that his wife gave him a "pity pass" so that he could come join the drive and the 8/6 day meet. In my experience, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a good time when he joins a drive. I've literally been going on drives with him for years, and I really admire his calm demeanor and always positive attitude.

Lastly, was meeting Eric (and seeing his gorgeous 10 series), a Mines Rd first timer who came out for the drive. Always excited for people who haven't driven this road to come out and put their car through it's paces on this technical and challenging, but extremely rewarding road.

We drove at a pretty relaxed pace and almost immediately I got into the zone. I began reading the corners, practicing momentum driving, and focusing on smooth throttle and steering inputs. Of course on some sections I just couldn't help myself and went hard and aggressive per usual. But, I would then ease off and wait for my followers to be in sight again so we could more or less stay as a group.

Took a few photos at The Junction and then set off for Mt. Hamilton. About a half mile down the road, I remembered that I had left my bottle of green tea outside where we were parked. Lovely. I wonder if it will still be there next Sunday?

The drive up the mountain was clear of cyclists and traffic, sweet! I admit I did leave my crew behind as my excitement and intoxicating exhaust note got the best of me and I went pretty hard.

Coming down the San Jose side of Mt. Ham was interesting as it was only my second time doing it. The road condition was great, very smooth, but I felt like the lane width was pretty narrow. Also, some of the turns are so tight and technical it makes it difficult to actually enjoy driving them, in my opinion. The narrowness especially sucks when motorcycles are coming up the opposite way hugging the center lane line with big cases/saddlebags sticking off, or SUVs and cars completely crossing over the center lane lines. Makes me nervous and angry when that happens!

Looking back at this Mines drive, I can distinctly feel that my familiarity and comfort with the road is increasing. As a result, the drive requires less effort and provides even more enjoyment. However, I'm slightly apprehensive to openly admit that I am getting more "comfortable" with the road. This is a road that can and will bite you the minute you stop respecting it. I will still have to keep that in mind every time I drive it.
Attached Images

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (08-10-2017), My Key (08-10-2017), TheMedakaBox (08-12-2017)