follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #29
Ramster

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBRZ1691 View Post
Wait, so its the noise as your pushing the pedal in....

Balls, mine just started to do this. Dealership already has a new transmission waiting for me, might as well tell them to order a new clutch assembly while they are at it.

I was told that the clutch was covered under warranty when I purchased the car.
The whole clutch may not be necessary, just depends what they find when they take the transmission apart. Most likely your clutch and flywheel are perfectly fine.
Ramster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #30
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,140 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramster View Post
Here's the video of what mine sounds like. Finally got around to uploading it.

Like I mentioned though, it's gotten worse since then and it makes that noise through the entire motion of engaging and disengaging the clutch. Gets worse as the car warms up (barely noticeable at cold start).

If anyone wants, I can upload a more recent video with the worse sounds, just let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBRZ1691 View Post
Wait, so its the noise as your pushing the pedal in....

Balls, mine just started to do this. Dealership already has a new transmission waiting for me, might as well tell them to order a new clutch assembly while they are at it.

I was told that the clutch was covered under warranty when I purchased the car.
Woah wait a minute... The car isn't running, so this is NOT a throwout bearing making noise. This sounds like the pedal assembly or possibly the release fork making some noise, but it's certainly NOT a throwout bearing.

A throwout bearing would be much harsher and louder, and would only happen when the engine is running, because the bearing needs to move to make noise.

edit- This noise is literally NOTHING to worry about, for all intents and purposes, it can even be called normal. Did you guys even read my post above?
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
btune (02-23-2017), Ramster (03-22-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #31
GotBRZ1691

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6smt
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Woah wait a minute... The car isn't running, so this is NOT a throwout bearing making noise. This sounds like the pedal assembly or possibly the release fork making some noise, but it's certainly NOT a throwout bearing.

A throwout bearing would be much harsher and louder, and would only happen when the engine is running, because the bearing needs to move to make noise.

edit- This noise is literally NOTHING to worry about, for all intents and purposes, it can even be called normal. Did you guys even read my post above?
At work so skim reading. Valid point about the car not running. Hopefully something just needs some lube but who knows.

My BRZ is my 3rd Subaru. Had different clutch issues with the past two. I have had the pivot point ball break through a fork before, had to replace a throw out bearing before, and now need a new transmission in the BRZ.
GotBRZ1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #32
GotBRZ1691

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6smt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramster View Post
The whole clutch may not be necessary, just depends what they find when they take the transmission apart. Most likely your clutch and flywheel are perfectly fine.
But if i can get them to purchase me a new one, why wouldn't I. The dealership I go to is awesome and are easy to work with. I am sure there is some validity in the argument that the bad transmission has cause additional stress on the clutch assembly that is outside normal operating perimeters.
GotBRZ1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #33
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,140 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Here's a good video describing how the clutch works, the noise in the video Ramster posted is just things moving. Listening more closely, its probably a return spring or something creaking a bit. The throwout bearing highlighted in the video below needs to be spinning to make the noise that's a telltale sign of failure, or imminent failure.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfjGohWy-OU"]Learn How A Clutch Works In Less Than 5 Minutes - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube[/ame]

THIS video (also posted by Ramster on p1) is a completely failed throwout bearing, THIS noise is what you don't want to hear, but notice the noise isn't there until the car is running. The TOB in this video is completely siezed, and caused the car to move even when the clutch is depressed, because the clutch assembly is dragging on the TOB VERY badly as it spins. The bearing is squealing because it's now metal dragging on metal as it tries to spin.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOzIFnEm2-8"]Don't Ride the Clutch! Or THIS Happens featuring a Subaru Impreza - YouTube[/ame]
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-20-2015), MINOCIN (03-21-2015), Ramster (03-22-2015), WRB5titch (03-21-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #34
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Second video @WRB5titch @danthedirt (whole vid is great, but get's juicy @ 5:30 mark)
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
WRB5titch (03-21-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #35
Ramster

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
So I wanted to update this thread with my experience in case anyone for the future runs into the issue and searches this topic.

I changed out the clutch, flywheel, and the bearings (went with ACT lightweight kit) (awesome upgrade by the way). The stock parts (which I kept in case anyone would like pictures or videos) look still in good condition to me, but I have no experience with this so I can't say for sure.

The noises went away for a couple of months but have recently returned. There's no way any of my clutch parts are going bad since they're brand new with MAYBE 1500 miles on them. @wheelhaus was right. Probably just a lube issue which I'm not going to worry about anymore. Can't even hear the noise when the engine is off.

Hope this info helps.

Last edited by Ramster; 06-08-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Ramster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #36
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB86'd View Post
For you guys that had your release bearing fail, stock clutch and flywheel? Any pedal height adjustments?
nope I have ACT clutch and flywheel plus am FI, but I'm only at 35k km so that is way early

anyone know if they make a more resistant one aftermarket (saw that ACT sells one but not sure if it is the same as oem or better quality)
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #37
Haulin

Drives: 2013 Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Seems op have resolved the failure, how was the trip to the bahamas?
It was awesome - hot & scenic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsol66 View Post
You might be the highest mileage FR-S I've heard of; may I ask what your ownership experience has been? If you could give us an overview, I'm sure many people would be interested. Thanks! (and good luck with the TOB)
The dealer sucks - period - as Toyota has always sucked (this is my 4th new Toyota). The vehicle itself has problems, but I still love it. The driving experience makes up for any flaws by far.
Haulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #38
HachiRo

Drives: 2013 White-Out FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeskee2 View Post
I just noticed a squeal/whining noise when I put my foot on the clutch. Started a few days ago and only occurs when the car is cold. Once it warms up, it seems to go away. I have about 75,000 miles on the car.

So has it been confirmed this whining noise is due to the Throwout Bearing?
Mine is making a high pitched whistling noise on cold start. Squeals as I'm accelerating off the clutch. If I'm clutched in, it makes a sputtering squeal.