follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hybrid Discussion

Love em, like em, or absolutely hate them.

Please discuss them here.

From this thread. Lexus F Page the middle to bottom of page 10 to all of page 11. Almost 40 posts about hybrids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
V6 from IS? V6 from IS?!? V6 from IS?!?!? V6 from IS?!?!?!?

I don't buy into the KERS system since there isn't a single mass production version. And since it's used by Porsche, super expensive.

I like the Honda "mild" hybrid system because the battery pack is small, the motor is lightweight, and yet does add enough HP to give good torque for normal DD, and it is available with a standard gearbox. Plus the MPG is better than the standard econoboxes. The drawbacks are mostly Honda related. Only FWD, designed more for DD, etc etc. I would still pick the CR-Zzz over the Prius or Fusion anyday. Although the first thing I would do is put back seats in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
I only like Manual trans hybrids, which limits the choices a bit.

Really I don't care if a hybrid system is used or not, if the car is fun to drive, provides feedback to the driver through the wheel, pedals, seat, etc then
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Exage
GL 86!

Drives: Maybe FR-S... maybe not
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Still awaiting a diesel hybrid vehicle. Despite the obvious increase in weight, I'd love to see how it would perform.

I have a belief that the Volt should have had a small turbo diesel (particularly for Europe). It would have grabbed both my attention and recognition. But perhaps it would cut too far into that beloved EV milage.
Exage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra

best.hybrid.ever.
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
<3

n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Allch Chcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exage View Post
Still awaiting a diesel hybrid vehicle. Despite the obvious increase in weight, I'd love to see how it would perform.

I have a belief that the Volt should have had a small turbo diesel (particularly for Europe). It would have grabbed both my attention and recognition. But perhaps it would cut too far into that beloved EV milage.
A car that combines the two most expensive and heaviest options? It would cost $25k or more for a compact car as diesel hybrid! Just look at how much the "compact" Prius costs and it's only a hybrid. Adding a Diesel engine to the Volt would have added thousands onto the already sky high price!

There is a reason companies are focusing on one not two efficient technologies. No turbo Gasoline-Electric hybrids, no Diesel-Electric Hybrids, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post

best.hybrid.ever.
Sure, if money is no object :|.

Quote:
Old 08-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
Exage
GL 86!

Drives: Maybe FR-S... maybe not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
A car that combines the two most expensive and heaviest options? It would cost $25k or more for a compact car as diesel hybrid! Just look at how much the "compact" Prius costs and it's only a hybrid. Adding a Diesel engine to the Volt would have added thousands onto the already sky high price!

There is a reason companies are focusing on one not two efficient technologies. No turbo Gasoline-Electric hybrids, no Diesel-Electric Hybrids, etc.
Go for broke hahaha. I'm sure you've guessed that I'm not a fan of gas-electric (particularly in the Volts case). I would still like to see a decent attempt on the experimental or concept level (where they can "waste" money).

Maybe I'll just make one for the hell of it after I finish school. Kind of like the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust .
Exage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
The cool thing about Honda IMA is you can potentially do interesting things with manual trans. If they had a bit stronger of a motor, you could start the car without slipping the clutch for example. I think in the near future we will start to see integrated starter/alternator mild hybrids become more common. Audi already has it standard I think. It's the most cost effective way to get a tiny bit of regenerative braking.

I still think Toyota HSD has the most promise though, they haven't used it on a "fast" car yet, but if they do it should be pretty good
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Anyone care to explain the difference between Honda's 'Ultracapacitor' and normal batteries?

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
Allch Chcar

Well, the IMA motor is plenty big enough (14HP rating) to start out, it's the tiny battery pack that is the limitation besides the lack of a decoupler or clutch to run on pure electric power. Many other Hybrid get better city MPG than Highway because they can run on battery power at low to moderate speeds for even short periods of time. Although the tiny battery pack, that is considered an advantage in a hybrid, means 1-2 miles of range at low speed.

Quote:
Old 08-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Anyone care to explain the difference between Honda's 'Ultracapacitor' and normal batteries?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...ayer_capacitor

Basically it's a capacitor with a lot of carbon particles in it to increase surface area a lot, and increase the amount of charge it can hold. It can handle higher discharge rates than a battery, but holds less power. It cannot discharge as fast as a regular capacitor but has much higher energy density. They figure the vast majority of the time when you are braking, the total amount of energy is relatively small so they can just store that more efficiently with an ultracapacitor. It's like putting a smaller battery on, except it can provide more power when discharging and doesn't lose as much in conversion. Thus, it also doesn't need to be cooled the way a battery does. Flybrid claimed that the conversion from mechanical to electrical to chemical and back with typical batteries has only 40% efficiency. The battery is definitely a big part of this, so replacing it with an ultracapacitor would improve the overall efficiency to maybe 60% or more.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Allch Chcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Carl View Post
A Turbo Diesel hybrid of the FT-86 would be interesting... Toyota make one!!!
You're a piece of work Sir Carl.

Quote:
Old 08-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
Type[R]+

Drives: Lexus IS-F
Quote:
I don't buy into the KERS system since there isn't a single mass production version. And since it's used by Porsche, super expensive.
Most of the manufacturers seem to be working on them, what makes you think a flywheel and CVT are super expensive? It still seems a few years away, but Volvo seems to be ready with theirs.
Type[R]+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
Type[R]+

Drives: Lexus IS-F
Quote:
You're a piece of work Sir Carl.
Drunk.... He has to be drunk!
Type[R]+ is offline   Reply With Quote