follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
15 STI vs 10 STI vs Evo X

One reviewer preferred the 15 STI, one preferred the Evo. As usual, great job by EverydayDriver. Pretty sad to see Mitsubishi kill off the Evo too..

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnymI2vOJY0&list=UUv-FM9e2vGXIEExo7L-ogOQ"]New STI vs EVO X vs Old STI, The Last of the Breed - Everyday Driver - YouTube[/ame]
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (10-10-2014), Sideways&Smiling (10-10-2014), Texas BRZ (10-11-2014), Weasel Soup (02-17-2015)
Old 10-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Pretty much exactly what I expected.

2015 STI: Best daily driver. Sportier compared to older STIs in some ways, but not better in all ways. Still an STI.

Evo: A more serious performance car, but not as well rounded as an everyday car. Really for people that value performance above all else.

I'm hoping Mitsubishi applies what they learned with the Evo series to a brand new, built-from-the-ground-up sports car platform to really build something special now that the Evo is at its end of life.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
inertia

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
Pretty much exactly what I expected.

2015 STI: Best daily driver. Sportier compared to older STIs in some ways, but not better in all ways. Still an STI.

Evo: A more serious performance car, but not as well rounded as an everyday car. Really for people that value performance above all else.

I'm hoping Mitsubishi applies what they learned with the Evo series to a brand new, built-from-the-ground-up sports car platform to really build something special now that the Evo is at its end of life.
I agree! There are a few highly modified 2013-2014 STIs in the area and damn do they look good! Great, now I am tempted to trade mine in for a 2015!
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
problem with these kind of comparison tests/videos, they never mention the reliability concerns and notorious engine issues of the STI.. when you factor that in, Evo always wins ..if daily comfort is what you're looking for, I think you should look elsewhere, there are a lot better alternatives for mid to high 30ks segment
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Very good, very accurate review. I liked it, and I think they gave all three cars a fair shake. I'm glad that there was finally a back-to-back comparison where they acknowledged that the STI is leagues better than it has ever been, but performance-wise, it still hasn't quite overtaken the Evo X. It's close though... they were spot-on when they said that the Evo platform is getting old and needs replacement (or at least a meaningful update) but is still very competitive within its segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
Well, there was talk of the Evo X SAM edition (I forget what it stands for) that is supposed to get more power, likely something in the low 300 hp range, probably no greater than 320 hp. It's a welcomed update, but kind of late to the party. Still, it's going to be a lot more interesting than it has been since 2008.

Ideally I'd like for Mitsubishi to make something fresh and new, but I just don't have a lot of confidence in them anymore. They totally have the capability of making something awesome -- S-AWC is still one of the best systems out there, and a lot of their concepts look awesome, like the Evo XI concept that has their new corporate grille that is also appearing in other concepts of theirs -- but the finished product always ends up falling far short of expectations.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
GTHachiRoku
Big in Japan

Drives: turBRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I recently jumped to an Evo MR and I think it's a great combination of performance and comfort. I was used to the FR-S on coil over suspension so I may be accustomed to a harsher ride. Still, it passes the wife test, whereas the FR-S did not.
GTHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
One of the reasons I loved my old STI hatch was for its practicality. It hauled a fair amount in its hatch, you could fold down the rear seats, and the gas tank was pretty decently sized at 17 gallons. It was even fairly quiet on the highway on long trips.

It doesn't look like either the new STI or Evo X can match that.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
One of the reasons I loved my old STI hatch was for its practicality. It hauled a fair amount in its hatch, you could fold down the rear seats, and the gas tank was pretty decently sized at 17 gallons. It was even fairly quiet on the highway on long trips.

I think hatchback WRX makes even a better DD with a lot better gas mileage, lower price, cheaper consumables and smoother ride, if that's what you're after
and the new WRX is even better than the old one with its new DI engine

if we are looking for a better performer and reliability Evo wins hands down
Old 10-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I think hatchback WRX makes even a better DD with a lot better gas mileage, lower price, cheaper consumables and smoother ride, if that's what you're after
and the new WRX is even better than the old one with its new DI engine

if we are looking for a better performer and reliability Evo wins hands down
The WRX hatch wasn't bad, but was missing a few too many limited slip differentials for my liking =)

Agree on the Evo being the best performer. If only they came out with an Evo hatch with folding rear seats...

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
glamcem

Quote:
The WRX hatch wasn't bad, but was missing a few too many limited slip differentials for my liking =)

Agree on the Evo being the best performer. If only they came out with an Evo hatch with folding rear seats...
I had 2011 STI sedan and it had the folding seats and I am pretty sure the new WRX or STI sedan has folding seats too (unless they don't offer anymore)..

it's always compromises
Old 10-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
jdmblood

Drives: white subaru brz
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
you cant compare a 2015 sti to an evo that hasnt been updated in like 4 years or sumtin. compare same year models and the evo is a wayyyy better car in terms of performance
jdmblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmblood View Post
you cant compare a 2015 sti to an evo that hasnt been updated in like 4 years or sumtin. compare same year models and the evo is a wayyyy better car in terms of performance
Sure you can. Both cars are being sold brand new on dealer lots, Subaru has just decided to continue with the WRX platform while Mitsubishi did not for the Evo.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #13
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Sure you can. Both cars are being sold brand new on dealer lots, Subaru has just decided to continue with the WRX platform while Mitsubishi did not for the Evo.
agreed, since STI hasn't really changed a lot ever since it's been released in the US back in 2004 (except some suspension and chassis changes between years)
same engine problems since the first year model
Old 10-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #14
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Yup. Especially not the Evo X, with its retarded small trunk because of the battery. It was bad enough that the Evo VIII/IX didn't have a folding backseat or even a pass-through, but at least the trunk was huge.

Quote:
Hypothetically yes, but the Evo X the way it is, would be a crappy wagon. Look at the Ralliart wagon, its proportions are a little odd, as it's obvious that the sedan was what Mitsubishi wanted to do the whole time, and the wagon seems like an afterthought that they made work with existing parts as best as it could. At least the prior Impreza/WRX/STI was intended to be a sedan AND a wagon.

But the Evo IX wagon was pretty cool.

DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote