follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2014, 02:07 AM   #1
fduboss302

Drives: 2013 Boss 302, 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
2013 Boss 302 vs BRZ Limited

Hi all,

Long time listener, first time poster (in this sub forum). Got my BRZ last Fri and here are my impressions of my new DD (used to drive a 2001 NB Miata w/ rollbar, BBK, suspension but got into an accident which totaled it) and my weekend car (a 2013 Boss 302) Both are mostly stock at the moment with the exception of track friendly fluids.

I haven't had a chance to seriously hoon legally (hpde, autocross) yet in the BRZ but I really like it in so far as saying it feels like my Miata but with less cabin noise. It also feels a bit more planted but I think the 400+ lb difference may have something to do with it.

Everyone always compares in these specific categories but I'll take a more interesting approach as to what I found surprising and what might be interesting about both vehicles.

Steering
People often wonder why I have two such disparate cars. I often wonder why people have the same of two similar cars (S2000 and Miata, Elise and S2000) These two cars could not be more different. You need to concentrate in both cars to be smooth and fast. Objectively speaking though, I much prefer the tighter steering ratio in the BRZ day to day especially at lower speed turns. The smaller steering wheel in the BRZ helps a ton I'm sure. The BRZ also has a telescoping wheel which my Boss somehow doesn't. (What the hell?)

Gearbox

This one is a little unfair as I put an aftermarket "MGW" unit in my Boss. The gearbox is freaking amazing now. It's better than an S2K's. MGW should make something for the BRZ.

The BRZ's gearbox is better than my RSX Type S I had eons ago but worse than an S2000. It's not bad. I got the MTEC shift spring kit, Perrin rear shifter bushing and Whiteline positive shift kit so we'll see if that changes anything.

Throttle and clutch
The BRZ has a weird initial dead zone in the accelerator to me. (I've already done the Perrin step on/release the gas pedal 20X trick) This took some getting used to. The clutch engages really far out, almost as far out as it does in the Boss. I'm not sure I get this since design choice as it doesn't have insane power.

Clutch effort in the Boss is fantastically easy for a high horsepower car. The throttle response is one of the most amazing parts about the Boss. With the red key (aka track key, loads a different tune by Ford Racing) the throttle response is intoxicating. Your inputs are so immediate and when you let off the engine braking comes on hard and immediately. This made me decide to keep the car (initially was torn on getting a Vette down the road)

Braking
The Boss' Brembo brakes will fade on an autocross but fare well on a track with some cool down on straights. I don't have the brake ducts on the Laguna Seca version of the car, so I suspect that'll help. Stock pedal feel is a little soft for me, it could use SS lines as I've upgraded the fluid.

The BRZ has the best stock pedal feel I've felt from a car. It's about 80% as good as my NB Miata with the Wilwood BBK I had on it. No initial super grabby at initial application like a BMW, just a darn good feel.

Engine characteristics/cabin noise
The BRZ's intake sound enhancer kills me. Because the stock doesn't make a whole lot of noise I'm gonna get rid of the intake tube ASAP. Cabin noise is much quieter than my Miata and will be much nicer once I get rid of the intake sound enhancer. The FA20 sounds much nicer than the 1.8L NB powerplant but the motor isn't super rev happy.

The cabin is a lot more muted in the Boss even with the 5.0 V8 generating a lot of noise. The motor is very rev happy (even for non American car standards) The best part about the Boss when not very quickly hurdling towards the 7500RPM redline is with the track key you get an awesome high lift came idle with a lope. Sounds cool and racey.

Chassis
The chassis in the BRZ is lightyears ahead of my old DD NB Miata with a rollbar. When it gets loose I can catch the tail with plenty of ease/time. I love the chassis on the car, it makes me feel like a driving hero.

When doing big directional changes (slalom, hairpin) the Boss needs a moment to settle and so you have to be patient (it seems like an eternity especially since the tendency is to want to rev the motor) but when the weight settles, you just roll onto the throttle and the tires hook, the "tuned to the best as it can be" live rear axle just rockets out of a corner and is easy to catch if it gets away from you. I feel like a hero driving this car too.

Comfort
The Mustang wins this department by a little bit. The Recaros are bigger but more buckety than the BRZ. They're actually much more comfortable on long drives. I always end up with daily drivers that are less comfortable than my weekend car.

Gadgets
BRZ wins in this area, hands down. Keyless entry and igniton are amazing and win solely with this feature.

I really like the 0-60 and accelerometer (measures turn, brake, acceleration Gs) on the Boss but these are just things you use in a "this shouldn't be done on the street" environment. The only better part really is the steering wheel controls and not sure I need that in my BRZ. I suppose I can't expect that much considering it's the "track ready" Mustang.

Daily driving impressions
I don't know if it's the DI but the BRZ has great torque down low for day to driving.

The Mustang is easy to drive in any gear, I suppose this is to be expected. My sister who also has a BRZ Limited 6 speed thought my Mustang was the easiest standard transmission she's driven.

Fun
Both cars are raw. Both are fun. It just boils down to what I wanna do when I go out. If I want to enter my car without taking my key out. If I care about mpg/gas at that particular moment. et. al.

The Boss came with a free track day in UT at Miller Motorsports Park where you get to hoon in a Boss 302 that's the same color as your's that FORD RACING supplies. This was badass. Most of our instructors were Grand Am or World Challenge racecar drivers.

Exclusivity
The Boss was a 2 year limited production run so they're pretty rare even in SOCal. I work in Irvine so I see the Toybarus EVERYWHERE. (There are like 30 at my company alone) I don't really care if a ton of other people drive my car so long as they don't drive my insurance premiums up (S2000 anyone?)

Gremlins
The BRZ has the crickets (doesn't really bother me) and the guys blowing up at the track. That's a little concerning to me but you can't always drive your fun car in fear that something bad is gonna happen.

The Boss has a crappy clutch (at the limit) from the factory. People have experienced clutch sticking/lockout at high RPM but I've never experienced this even at the track. (Maybe I'm too slow? Haha!) An aftermarket clutch fixes this.

My not so conclusiony conclusion
These cars represent totally different things. The BRZ is a pure RWD sports car for the everyman. The Boss 302 represents Ford's way into the World Challenge/Grand Am racing series (the motors are very very similar to the racecars) Hooning in both satisfies my automotive ADD/grass is the greener on the other side.

Anyways that's enough of my rambling for one night, here are some pics of the two vehicles side by side. Sorry for the grainy photos

And here's a random photo that's not grainy next to my brother in law's STi

We haven't had all the cars together to take a "family" photo yet. (Sister's BRZ, mine, and the STi)

Hope you all enjoy!

Feel free to ask me any questions.

- Frank

Last edited by fduboss302; 03-28-2014 at 01:22 AM.
fduboss302 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fduboss302 For This Useful Post:
diirk (03-27-2014), robwbright (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 02:41 AM   #2
Tara

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice. In Australia that Mustang cost $90k when brought here and converted to RHD
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Nice writeup. I had thought about getting a Boss 302 a while ago, so good to hear thoughts of someone who's owned both.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boss 302, comparison, ford, hoon