follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #57
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo585 View Post
Well I would hope so isnt that car 10-15k more .
Yeah, but my point really was about the replication of the 0-100 time. Most manufacturers claim times that the average driver can't get close to.

With the Golf R the writers are saying they can do this time and in fact some are saying they can do 4.8s by simply putting foot flat to floor in sport mode.

There will always be lemons (the twins had their fair share). Fingers crossed the mk7 doesn't have any more than usual for any car. I didn't realise the Golf (and VW) had such a bad reputation in USA. Here they are considered pretty reliable but that may be due to us getting the German built ones.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #58
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
I wonder how they decide where they are built for each market. Our 2015 models are being built in Germany. The VIN I have confirms German build.
Determined by cost of logistics?

Most people don't mention how the Mexican built Mk7 engines DON'T come with multi-port fuel injection on top of the direct injection system. We also don't get electronic handbrake with integrated hill hold assist.

The DSG in my old German built Mk5 Golf GTI didn't get rough while I drove the car to 85,000km before I traded it in. However, by the 2nd year it was randomly having trouble finding the next gear and would skip a gear on both upshifts and downshifts a few times a year. By the 6th year it was getting pretty consistent on having this problem once to twice a week. Using VAG-COM/VCDS, the DSG mechatronic unit can be reset to re-learn the clutch actuation points, but it went from having to reset it once a year to every 3 months, to later on every week. I eventually found out it was due to the loose front subframe (known issue and can be alleviated somewhat with a collar kit which I had installed).

Last edited by krayzie; 08-30-2014 at 05:54 PM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #59
mact

Drives: 13 GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have almost 30k miles on my 2013 GTI with no issues.

The MK7 will be assembled in Mexico yes, but if you Youtube any of VW/Audi's production lines you will see that they are 90% automated by a bunch of robots. Who they choose as a parts supplier will probably have more of an effect on long term reliability.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #60
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Honestly, I'd buy a 3 or a C for that money.

Sure not as powerful but much much much nicer overall car.
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #61
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mact View Post
I have almost 30k miles on my 2013 GTI with no issues.

The MK7 will be assembled in Mexico yes, but if you Youtube any of VW/Audi's production lines you will see that they are 90% automated by a bunch of robots. Who they choose as a parts supplier will probably have more of an effect on long term reliability.
The VW plant in Mexico employs over 15K workers. There are still lots of humans involved in assembling and testing a car.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #62
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmtigers View Post

Kind of depends on your definition of "nicer"...I guess if you're a brand snob then for sure.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #63
calmtigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Kind of depends on your definition of "nicer"...I guess if you're a brand snob then for sure.
By nicer I mean better car overall? Not necessarily being a brand snob here but the cars are definitely more luxurious than the gti.
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
Old 08-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #64
Burrcold

Quote:
By nicer I mean better car overall? Not necessarily being a brand snob here but the cars are definitely more luxurious than the gti.
Being more luxurious doesn't equate to a better car. Sorry.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #65
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
The Golf R I drove had acceleration that left the 86 cold. 0-100 in 4.9s and what I like about it is that they are not just numbers, the reports are that it is easily replicated. Just put your foot flat to the floor.

I'll have it on track soon enough to compare but even if not as tight on the corners as my 86 with coilovers and sway bars etc will still be a fun family car to drop the kids to school in.

Ah ok. No doubt its a cool car. I believe one of my neighbors have one but i didn't think they where on sale yet. Maybe he just put the R badge on.

The Golf R to me is just on par with a Subaru WRX STI. I'm pretty sure when I had my WRX I could easier get that ~5.0s 0-100kph. The subaru does have a meatier torque band with the 2.5L engine though.

I just hope the Golf R's driveline can handle some abuse/hard launches.
stevo585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:44 PM   #66
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo585 View Post
Ah ok. No doubt its a cool car. I believe one of my neighbors have one but i didn't think they where on sale yet. Maybe he just put the R badge on.

The Golf R to me is just on par with a Subaru WRX STI. I'm pretty sure when I had my WRX I could easier get that ~5.0s 0-100kph. The subaru does have a meatier torque band with the 2.5L engine though.

I just hope the Golf R's driveline can handle some abuse/hard launches.
I test drove a WRX and a WRX STI as wanted a four door for the family that would be fun to drive. The WRX taken brand new to our local tuner was a great option.

Plan failed though as wife didn't like it - damn!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #67
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'm test driving 1 tomorrow, except my TDI will be getting traded in for it not the FR-S. I'm already sold on them, it's the nearly $28k relative starting price on the 4 door DSG models that's a kick to the wallet.
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #68
calmtigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Being more luxurious doesn't equate to a better car. Sorry.
lol vw trolls
Old 08-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #69
Burrcold

Quote:
lol vw trolls
...right, I'm the troll.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #70
Slipstream

Drives: 14 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

A what or a what? I'm guessing you meant 3-series, but what is a C?

As others have said, it depends entirely on what you want the car for. I came from a line of VAG products and would go back in a heartbeat if my needs changed (read: kiddos). Is the MK7 GTI anywhere close to the 86 in driver feel and feedback? Of course not, although I'm told the performance package gets it as close as a GTI (or most hot hatches) has ever been. It's still a jack of all trades, though.

Honestly, I -like- my BRZ. It does everything it was intended to do and does it beautifully. But it's a pain in the ass when I need to carry one person, or load the 60lb dogs in to go somewhere. It's a hoot on twisty roads and the auto-x course, but kind of boring on the grid system of roads we have here. The GTI may not be the fastest, or the sharpest handling, but if it does 85-90% of what the BRZ can do, and haul people/dogs/cargo/ass on the interstate, it's perfect. If I needed a more well-rounded car, the GTI (or Golf R) would be on a very short list of replacements for the BRZ.
Slipstream is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slipstream For This Useful Post:
Burrcold (08-31-2014)