follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2016, 10:32 PM   #15
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMonster View Post
I never said it was kicking in at the wrong time. You and others have said this. I know exactly why it's kicking in. Loose gravel, wet roads, hard shifting into 2nd. It only kicks in when my tires spin. My complaint is that it does too much. It slows my car down too much. Other cars that I've driven (Civic Si, Focus ST, VW GTI) have much more subtle TC. They stop the wheels from spinning, but the car isn't slowed WAY down like my car is doing. Maybe something is wrong with my car. IDK. I've only had it for 2 weeks.
i probably should have used 'kicking in too much' vs, 'wrong time'. i guess by 'wrong time' i meant 'unexpectedly' which can also mean 'too sensitive'.
i haven't found it to be too harsh during 'normal driving' in the street, and it's intervened what i'd consider to be an appropriate amount at the right time.

it only got very intrusive when i kept on the accelerator, refusing to let off, and trying to see how much the rear would be allowed to slide on purpose. i did this in a multi-story parking structure at work on the weekend - it was completely empty of cars and i'd just drive up and down, round and round, slowly increasing my speed and experimenting with the different levels of nannies to see how much slip each one would allow. i did this when i first got the car, and anytime i changed anything to do with the wheels or suspension. i also did it while changing damper settings to see what effect they'd have.

full nannies slowed down the car abruptly only when i was purposely trying to break the rear quite violently.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:40 PM   #16
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I was just telling a friend how I often turn mine off because I've been in situations where the TCS almost caused me to get hit when I tried to squeeze through an (admittedly narrow) gap in traffic, only to have it completely cut the throttle on me.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:50 PM   #17
JoshMonster

Drives: White Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
i probably should have used 'kicking in too much' vs, 'wrong time'. i guess by 'wrong time' i meant 'unexpectedly' which can also mean 'too sensitive'.
i haven't found it to be too harsh during 'normal driving' in the street, and it's intervened what i'd consider to be an appropriate amount at the right time.

it only got very intrusive when i kept on the accelerator, refusing to let off, and trying to see how much the rear would be allowed to slide on purpose. i did this in a multi-story parking structure at work on the weekend - it was completely empty of cars and i'd just drive up and down, round and round, slowly increasing my speed and experimenting with the different levels of nannies to see how much slip each one would allow. i did this when i first got the car, and anytime i changed anything to do with the wheels or suspension. i also did it while changing damper settings to see what effect they'd have.

full nannies slowed down the car abruptly only when i was purposely trying to break the rear quite violently.
I guess I'm just not used to it. In my civic if I needed to accel hard I could slam the throttle and the TC would limit wheel spin, but I didn't have to lift. I could keep my foot down and TC only engaged enough to keep me from roasting the tires. Subtle. In the BRZ it cuts throttle COMPLETELY. I'm not used to this, and it has put me in dangerous situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
I was just telling a friend how I often turn mine off because I've been in situations where the TCS almost caused me to get hit when I tried to squeeze through an (admittedly narrow) gap in traffic, only to have it completely cut the throttle on me.
This is the dangerous situation I was referring to above. I guess for some people this sort of reaction to TC is normal if they're not used to anything else. I don't like it one bit, and I guess I'll have to make a point to turn mine off unless it's raining.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoshMonster For This Useful Post:
shiumai (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #18
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Yes it is sensitive. Just drive with it off. And be prepared for the outcome.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:55 PM   #19
perryair
junior mafia

Drives: ‘20 sti limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I got my 2016 BRZ 2 weeks ago. My previous car was an 08 Honda Civic Si. After driving the BRZ for 2 weeks I've found that I absolutely loath the traction control. In my civic, if the traction control kicked in, it would slightly pull back the throttle just enough to stop wheel spin, but I could continue to accelerate. In the BRZ it completely shuts off throttle and even applies brakes to the rear. Stops me dead in my tracks. Now I'm not trying to do burnouts with TC on. I know how to turn it off. It happens at times where I'm just crusing and have to get on the throttle hard for some reason, and at the first bit of slip, it kicks in way too hard. It even does this in VSC sport mode. I don't mind driving around with TC off, but sometimes I forget. Anybody else feel the same as me about TC?
to be honest, unless there is rain or standing water on the road i just turn it all off (with the holding down off, not the pedal dance). now, i've driven a rear wheel drive car with more hp and tq for many years so i know how to handle a car without nannies. your mileage may vary by skill level and experience. however, in the rain or inclement weather i'd just as soon leave it all on to be safe.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:57 PM   #20
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I never said it was kicking in at the wrong time. You and others have said this. I know exactly why it's kicking in. Loose gravel, wet roads, hard shifting into 2nd. It only kicks in when my tires spin. My complaint is that it does too much. It slows my car down too much. Other cars that I've driven (Civic Si, Focus ST, VW GTI) have much more subtle TC. They stop the wheels from spinning, but the car isn't slowed WAY down like my car is doing. Maybe something is wrong with my car. IDK. I've only had it for 2 weeks.
Maybe RWD cars react differently to a TCS system compared to FWD. Only time I've felt tcs kick in as hard as you describe is if I dump the clutch in second and I didn't turn it off :eek:
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:00 PM   #21
JoshMonster

Drives: White Pearl BRZ
Thanks for all of the replies. I was mostly curious if the behavior of the traction control was normal. It seems that it is and I'm just not accustomed to it. I'll just have to remember to turn it off except for in inclement weather. Other than this, I absolutely love the car so far. EVERYTHING else about the car is perfection. Sorry if I seemed like I'm not enjoying the car. I am, I just had a few scares related to the TC. Thanks again everybody.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoshMonster For This Useful Post:
perryair (03-26-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 11:30 PM   #22
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Interesting cuz when I had my GTI the ESP did the same thing especially when trying to accelerate off a right turn at an intersection a little too hard from a standstill. I had the earlier ones with defeatable ESP but I just left it on most of the time to be safe.

It really depends on the situation, too much wheel spin and the computer may totally cut off the throttle.

Maybe upgrade your tires if you don't want to keep turning off TC.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:01 AM   #23
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sorry if I seemed like I'm not enjoying the car. I am, I just had a few scares related to the TC. Thanks again everybody.
Didn't come off that way at all. Your impression is spot on. I hate the nannies but they are effective.

Even with the long push stability control is processing the accelerometer and wheel inputs. The only way to cut them completely is with the pedal dance. Like @swarb said, be prepared for the consequences.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:06 AM   #24
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
When accelerating in a straight line the reaction from TC is the same in VSC Sport.
No it doesn't.

With nothing disabled, and you accelerate hard enough to spin the tires, the traction control kills the throttle.

In Sport mode, the tires spin but if you start sliding sideways while doing so brakes are applied to stop the car from spinning, this is the ESC in action not the traction control.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:16 AM   #25
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I turn it off. I hate that sort of stuff anyway, but the way it engages is abrupt and intrusive.
The #1 most beneficial $$ you can spend on this car to go faster is seat time.
Quit trying to out think the engineers and just drive the car.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #26
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I made this video some time ago in response to some comments about VSC sport in a Facebook group (how someone was "always using VSC sport and all-off was just for drifting"). It illustrates pretty well just how aggressive the TC is:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEJE-Ii-P9w"]VSC - YouTube[/ame]

Ps.
I never use VSC sport, as I find it is the most unpredictable mode.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (03-28-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #27
JetSpeed

Drives: 06' Forester, 15 '3.6 OBW, 16' BRZ
GREAT simple video Tor.

I have quickly grown to HATE the "Sport" mode when attempting to bring the rear around more than "Sport" mode wants me too. Yes, I understand that's what it's there for.

I have not explored any boundaries over 4k RPM since I'm in break-in miles still therefore, I can't speak about the Traction Control as of yet.

Let's all be thankful both -for- and -against- the option of having these possible mode options.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #28
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
In the BRZ it completely shuts off throttle and even applies brakes to the rear. Stops me dead in my tracks.
You're saying that TC shuts down the throttle, applies the brakes and stops the car dead in its tracks then your car definitely has a problem and yes, a very dangerous one. That's crazy.

I've had the TC kick in and prevent me from further acceleration but I've never had it bring me to a complete stop.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote