follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #15
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Toyota did have a pretty strong WRC presence in the 90's...until they got caught cheating. Cool to see them back in it now at least in some form.

Subaru is very involved with global rallycross as well as rally here in the US. And privateer teams around the world.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #16
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Toyota did have a pretty strong WRC presence in the 90's...until they got caught cheating. Cool to see them back in it now at least in some form.

Subaru is very involved with global rallycross as well as rally here in the US. And privateer teams around the world.

- Andrew
In competitive racing, everybody cheats one way or another, its just the ones that get caught who get penalised. Subaru never abandoned rallying (hence their ongoing support to privateers, global rallyx's and rally America), its just that the WRC changed its rules to encourage short wheelbase, small displacement turbo charged cars.

Happy to see Toyota in the game either way. With Tommi Makinen heading up their effort and participating in a couple of divisions( bringing the 86 and the Yaris), they are looking pretty serious. There are some rumors that they are trying to bring Peter Solberg in as well as a Dakar effort.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #17
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Toyota did have a pretty strong WRC presence in the 90's...
Yup, I was lucky enough to see the TRD ST205 WRC car when I was Yokohama last month on a visit to TRD HQ.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #18
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

- Andrew
I always thought they left so they can join F1
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #19
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDinkleman View Post
I dunno... If you go back to the 70s, Toyota and Nissan (Datsun) built their international reputations on rallying in events such as Paris-Dakar. In the US, since rallying was not as popular (or even discussed), they focused on circuit racing. Subaru, as far as I can remember, didn't really start rallying/racing until the Audi Quattro showed that AWD was superior to RWD off-road.
Yeah, I guess if you go back to the pre-AWD rally days, that was the case. And Toyota did have good AWD rally cars too up until 99 when they dropped out. But still... I'm more surprised at Subaru focusing more on circuit. Of course, now a day, WRC class is such a stupid, boring formula, I can see why - 1.6L, limited technology, highly modified chassis not based on road version... it's like, what's the point?
Old 10-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #20
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
Yeah, I guess if you go back to the pre-AWD rally days, that was the case. And Toyota did have good AWD rally cars too up until 99 when they dropped out. But still... I'm more surprised at Subaru focusing more on circuit. Of course, now a day, WRC class is such a stupid, boring formula, I can see why - 1.6L, limited technology, highly modified chassis not based on road version... it's like, what's the point?
Well the really fun/crazy classes, GroupB, got eliminated because too many people died (both drivers and spectators). But yeah, it would be cool to see a bit more variety in WRC. That's why I love seeing cars like this GT86. Also why I love grassroots rallying. The array of cars you'll see at a Rally America event is awesome.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #21
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
In competitive racing, everybody cheats one way or another, its just the ones that get caught who get penalised. Subaru never abandoned rallying (hence their ongoing support to privateers, global rallyx's and rally America), its just that the WRC changed its rules to encourage short wheelbase, small displacement turbo charged cars.

Happy to see Toyota in the game either way. With Tommi Makinen heading up their effort and participating in a couple of divisions( bringing the 86 and the Yaris), they are looking pretty serious. There are some rumors that they are trying to bring Peter Solberg in as well as a Dakar effort.
I agree with everything except the first line. There's pushing the boundaries and maybe interpreting the rules differently, and then there's the turbo restrictor that they designed. Doesn't matter now though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
I always thought they left so they can join F1
That actually was more of it I think. They did get back to WRC with their badass Corollas for a few years after the cheating ban. But then they focused on F1 and also LeMans with the GT-One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Yup, I was lucky enough to see the TRD ST205 WRC car when I was Yokohama last month on a visit to TRD HQ.
Crap, I should have done that when I was there!

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #22
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
...Of course, now a day, WRC class is such a stupid, boring formula, I can see why - 1.6L, limited technology, highly modified chassis not based on road version... it's like, NASCAR
LOL. Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
Well the really fun/crazy classes, GroupB, got eliminated because too many people died (both drivers and spectators). But yeah, it would be cool to see a bit more variety in WRC. That's why I love seeing cars like this GT86. Also why I love grassroots rallying. The array of cars you'll see at a Rally America event is awesome.

Ah, yes. Group B. Don't forget the homologation rules that required 500 (?) cars be sold. I remember all those homologation specials like the Renault R5 Turbo available to the average (rich) Joe...

Like you said, rallying started really getting interesting with those cars. And, RWD rally cars are much more fun to watch than AWD and FWD rally cars. Hope this does well in racing so that more manufacturers will join in...
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrDinkleman For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (10-22-2015), Shark_Bait88 (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #23
icybrzzz

Drives: 2015 Scion frz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Nameless has a pretty bad ass rally car

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxB2PCx_lgs"]Nameless Performance GT86 Drive-By Shots - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPyNXKY_cB0"]Nameless Performance Rally team at the Seed9 Rally in Jean, NV - YouTube[/ame]
icybrzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icybrzzz For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #24
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I just noticed the flat face, rally/aero wheels on the TMG car. Looks pretty good; I wonder if MkIII Supra wheels would look as good. Or the Ronal R50. I do know those Ronals are heavy, though...
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #25
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,518 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
My fiancee saw the picture on the front page and asked: "Why is that car painted like a luchador?"

Now cannot unsee...
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #26
Futaba

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Would love to see an 86 with the old ST185 Celica's Castrol red and green rally design.

Futaba is offline   Reply With Quote