follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
mangostick
Banned

Drives: whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Yeah man those too! Not sure how I forgot to add that.. I've been trying to limit my online ranting lately so maybe its working? lmao
mangostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
You do have to remove the bumper.. which in itself is a job n half. They used a ton of fasteners. Also a good thing to remember is this assembly is designed to be assembled, not the other way around, so its a bit tedious to do it right without breaking anything. The side markers are pretty interesting. There's diy's on here if you search. There's one that displays a way to get the bumper off without removing the marker lights.. that worked quite well. Once the bumper was off I used a small pick to slowly and carefully wedge the metal clips for the marker lights from behind and they pop right out. Going back in is a matter of just putting bulb in, lining them up and pushing them in. No broken metal tabs makes for a good re-install.

The Relay style install was pretty easy but I did set up the harness and relay on a previous car. Relays are pretty easy to wire up and only require 4 connections. One for trigger (factory horn wire) one to ground the relay itself, one is power from the battery and the other is the lead that will power the horns. Deeper descriptions of relaying wiring can be found on www.the12volt.com .

Granted, it wasn't NEEDED for the FRS but since I already had it ready to go and it allowed me to not cut any wiring (leaving ability to go back to factory later if need be) I chose to go this route. I also used a relay socket from parts express ( www.partsexpress.com ) that makes it easier to wire and if the relay needs replacement later its as simple as removing the old and plugging in a new.

Time wise, took me about a hour n half of actual work taking my sweet old time. Most of that was removing the bumper, the rest was making sure everything was neat and bundled correctly (loose wires make fires). Mounting was pretty simple.. I used the factory high tone horn bracket and grounded to the horns to their mounting point similar to the install detailed above. Here are some pics.

No wires showing, I made sure to run the power wire in tight with the factory harness and keep it under the factory terminal cover.

lol.. that's funny, cuz I'd much rather sound like a poser than have some asshat drive into me while not paying attention. Weigh it.. poser with intact shiny car, or cool guy at body shop getting chevy stamp removed... I'd take the former vs latter all day every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
Tons of people are idiots these days too.. so, have to add that in accordingly and adjust fire to match. I'd take our "clown" car over any domestic lump of crap even if it was given to me. The FRS/BRZ are pretty safe cars regardless of size. Bigger is not safer, that's a huge misconception. Especially if the driver of bigger vehicle is texting, putting on her makeup, eating cereal and yelling at her little brats in the back while driving with her knee's...

Yes I've seen this!

Loud horns save lives. .. if not add some entertainment when the driver next to you just about shits themselves.
i agree,however a lot of "other" people will disagree. if i thought twice about the safety aspects of this car,then i probably would not ever even sit in it,but since i don't give it any thought it doesn't matter! a lot of people just believe it's too small,and that's why they think that! me?i don't give a f**k! ya gotta die sometime,besides as you pointed out,car's got tons of safety features,so what's not to like? texting? you mean people pull that stupid sh*t on the road? put on make-up while driving? eat a full breakfast,while yelling at kids? besides,women are immortal didn't you know?
(hot damn! what's the world coming to? whooda thunk! ehe! he! he!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
mangostick
Banned

Garage
All true, all terrible.. lol but like I said.. people are generally stupid until proven otherwise

Loud horns.. save lives
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
so it would appear these days. it would give one the impression
common sense has gone away
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #19
mangostick
Banned

Garage
Pretty sure it has man.. almost entirely. Back on topic though, if anyone has questions about the horns/relays/wiring/gettin that effin bumper off and on.. lol.. just give a shout.

Not stealing thunder from the original DIY just addin to it.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #20
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
[/QUOTE] lol.. that's funny, cuz I'd much rather sound like a poser than have some asshat drive into me while not paying attention. Weigh it.. poser with intact shiny car, or cool guy at body shop getting chevy stamp removed... I'd take the former vs latter all day every day.[/QUOTE]

I am guessing that reading comprehension wasn't your strength in high school. I actually said that the Supertones were much louder, but worked with the car.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #21
fitcious

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
question - does any horn from the subaru line up or toyota line up fit our FRS (via plug and play)? The reason I ask is the Honda Fit I had allowed me to put an Accord horn in it. I just want it to be a bit louder
fitcious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #22
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitcious View Post
question - does any horn from the subaru line up or toyota line up fit our FRS (via plug and play)? The reason I ask is the Honda Fit I had allowed me to put an Accord horn in it. I just want it to be a bit louder
Can't imagine why horns from other Toyotas or Subarus wouldn't work since horns aren't complicated devices. I do notice that many WRX owners also get these Hella horns (I'm guessing the stock WRX horn is pretty weak too). Would be interesting to hear a 4Runner or Sequoia horn on the FRS/BRZ.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure the BRZ and FRS horns are identical, and I can say my OEM FRS horn sucked on the freeway too. That was the primary motivation for going with the 118dB Hella horns. I have to say that although the Hella horns are really [hella ] loud while parked in my driveway/garage, it still doesn't sound all that loud on the streets/freeways.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
Wilsonk227

Drives: Super Vehicular Terrain Vehicle
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
tons of people are safety conscious these days,so i can understand this!
well those people are uneducated lol we got the top safety pick for the frs and brz. If you youtube frs/brz crash test, these guys handle so well in terms of impact. Better than some cars that are bigger :P toyota and subaru didn't put much emphasizing on the safety but they are really strong and rigid

Wilsonk227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #25
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
Can't imagine why horns from other Toyotas or Subarus wouldn't work since horns aren't complicated devices. I do notice that many WRX owners also get these Hella horns (I'm guessing the stock WRX horn is pretty weak too). Would be interesting to hear a 4Runner or Sequoia horn on the FRS/BRZ.
Understatement of the year.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
mit_peid (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #26
NIKDENG

Drives: RED BRZ
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Stocks horns of the BRZ are just about the lousiest out there. One of the first things I changed in my car. Went with Mitsuba Arena 2 horns.

Last edited by NIKDENG; 06-12-2013 at 01:59 PM.
NIKDENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #27
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I wonder if there is a way to install horns under the hood without having to take off the bumper?
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
ktulu7

Drives: 2016 GMC Canyon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You really need a good car horn around here in San Antonio, because of so many morons driving around with iPod earbuds in their ears... That just amazes me...
ktulu7 is offline   Reply With Quote