follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Slade

Drives: 14 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Would anyone recommend this Head Unit or something similar?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_070AC6...CPM6628BT.html

I'm fed up with the factory GPS and would love to use my iPhones navigation. I see this Head Unit has Apple Car play which is awesome and my research tells me this is a direct plug and play swap? The only thing is I have never heard of this brand before. It could just be my ignorance however. Please inform me or even give me something better that you guys would recommend. Thanks!
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
definitely not a direct plug and play, that has standard aftermarket antenna hookup and standard wiring to be mated with a aftermarket harness adapter, metra or scoche are common brands.

on the audio side of things its got a 10 band instead of 13 band eq, and 14w rms instead of 22w rms internal amp that you find on some of the other brands

I wouldn't choose this personally over the Sony XAV-AX100, unless you are planning amps and other things and the cheaper internals on the axxera don't matter. and yes I realize that the Sony also only has 10 band eq, which isn't bad, but you can find 13 on some units.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chimera For This Useful Post:
Slade (03-20-2018), Tcoat (03-21-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Slade

Drives: 14 Limited BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
definitely not a direct plug and play, that has standard aftermarket antenna hookup and standard wiring to be mated with a aftermarket harness adapter, metra or scoche are common brands.

on the audio side of things its got a 10 band instead of 13 band eq, and 14w rms instead of 22w rms internal amp that you find on some of the other brands

I wouldn't choose this personally over the Sony XAV-AX100, unless you are planning amps and other things and the cheaper internals on the axxera don't matter. and yes I realize that the Sony also only has 10 band eq, which isn't bad, but you can find 13 on some units.
Hey I like the one you linked me, I like that it has a built in micrphone, and apple car play and android auto. Its more expensive but thats fine. Thanks! Hows install for that one?
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slade For This Useful Post:
Chimera (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
Hey I like the one you linked me, I like that it has a built in micrphone, and apple car play and android auto. Its more expensive but thats fine. Thanks! Hows install for that one?
I have not personally installed it, but it looks the same as any other aftermarket unit. You will need a few things in addition to the unit, an antenna adapter, metra harness, usb adapter or replacement for the aux/usb port, faceplate adapter, (I think theirs a sonic kit that has harness and faceplates together).

a bit of searching should lead you to finding the list of thins you need but if you need more help let us (the forum at large) know, and we'll point you in the right directions.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
ncted

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
In my experience, built-in mics are not good. Not saying this one wouldn't be fine, but experience would make me stay away.
ncted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ncted For This Useful Post:
Chimera (03-21-2018), Slade (09-12-2018)