follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #141
taosracer
Frickin' Genius

Drives: GBS BRZ 6sp, 2002 ts wagon WRX swap
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Update.

The idler pulley in question is scheduled to be at the dealership on Thurs. likely to be installed in my BRZ on Fri. I'll post up the results ASAP.

I believe that the tech that is noted here as recommending replacing the fuel pump and other components will find the diagnoses incorrect. I further think that chirping should be the work of crickets, small birds and old Volkswagens.

I hear on occasion, people say that they are bored...wrong answer....An engine can be bored, a person would more correctly state that they are boring.
taosracer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taosracer For This Useful Post:
csaba (06-26-2012), Marrk (06-27-2012), nix (06-27-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #142
Lil Abner

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 6MT, Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosracer View Post
Update.

The idler pulley in question is scheduled to be at the dealership on Thurs. likely to be installed in my BRZ on Fri. I'll post up the results ASAP.

I believe that the tech that is noted here as recommending replacing the fuel pump and other components will find the diagnoses incorrect. I further think that chirping should be the work of crickets, small birds and old Volkswagens.
Many of us will be waiting for this. However, please don't jump on here and say it's quiet after it gets installed. Try and get a few hundred miles on the new parts first.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #143
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosracer View Post
Update.

When I listen for the source of the sound today it was coming from the right side of the engine (if you stand in front of the car) where the direct inject is (black metal plate with hoses).
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #144
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thread is on my radar, but I'm not sweating it too much, yet....
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #145
Fenrir

Drives: Mazdaspeed 3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Still waiting for any real proof on any claims this isn't just a normal noise. Every dealer seems to have their own idea. But hey, KNOWN ISSUE GUYS!
Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #146
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
Still waiting for any real proof on any claims this isn't just a normal noise. Every dealer seems to have their own idea. But hey, KNOWN ISSUE GUYS!
I think at this point it is beyond obvious it isn't normal or we wouldn't have all these people saying it used to not do it, but now it does.

But if by some bizarre reasoning it does in fact prove normal it still begs the question as to why it begins to happen to some after hundreds of miles. That would then suggest that some of these vehicles were assembled better than others, which then becomes a quality control issue...which this car has already suffered from once so far(panel fitting).

Regardless of which answer is correct, they should all be doing it or all not be doing it. Logic is logical, but common sense apparently isn't common.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #147
JP
Backyard Fabricator

Drives: JZX83, SF5 GT, ZZE82 turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
has anyone tried putting some water on the drive belt of a car that's making the noise to see if it changes/goes away? ...simple test that one.

A stethescope would easily pinpoint the source, from the video's here it sounds similar to tensioner idler noise I've heard on other subaru's and toyota's.
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #148
Fenrir

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
I think at this point it is beyond obvious it isn't normal or we wouldn't have all these people saying it used to not do it, but now it does.

But if by some bizarre reasoning it does in fact prove normal it still begs the question as to why it begins to happen to some after hundreds of miles. That would then suggest that some of these vehicles were assembled better than others, which then becomes a quality control issue...which this car has already suffered from once so far(panel fitting).

Regardless of which answer is correct, they should all be doing it or all not be doing it. Logic is logical, but common sense apparently isn't common.
Yeah but how many miles are on the cars that don't have the noise? Mine didn't start doing it until 700-800 miles in, and it's not reproduce-able on command. Secondly, it only seems to show up when the motor is running hot after hard driving (I've been running the car hard since I rolled it off the dealership lot and it only just recently starting making any noises). Most people have been babying the car, keeping it under 3.5-4k RPM, etc. It's way too early to say that not all of them do it, as all cars are being driven under different conditions. When we're all at 10k miles, we can see how many of them make it there without the noise. I'm having a hard time believing it's this big issue that people are making it out to be, especially when the dealers can't even agree on what the issue is after claiming that it's a "known issue". If you want to let a dealership rip apart your motor to fix something with no proof it's even broken, be my guest. I'll wait for their dumb luck to produce any results first.

All that said, if it IS an issue, then I want nothing more for it to be diagnosed correctly, and repaired properly. Has anyone who had their car inspected have a write-up on what was tested and how they came to their conclusions?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #149
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yeah but how many miles are on the cars that don't have the noise? Mine didn't start doing it until 700-800 miles in, and it's not reproduce-able on command. Secondly, it only seems to show up when the motor is running hot after hard driving (I've been running the car hard since I rolled it off the dealership lot and it only just recently starting making any noises). Most people have been babying the car, keeping it under 3.5-4k RPM, etc. It's way too early to say that not all of them do it, as all cars are being driven under different conditions. When we're all at 10k miles, we can see how many of them make it there without the noise. I'm having a hard time believing it's this big issue that people are making it out to be, especially when the dealers can't even agree on what the issue is after claiming that it's a "known issue". If you want to let a dealership rip apart your motor to fix something with no proof it's even broken, be my guest. I'll wait for their dumb luck to produce any results first.

All that said, if it IS an issue, then I want nothing more for it to be diagnosed correctly, and repaired properly. Has anyone who had their car inspected have a write-up on what was tested and how they came to their conclusions?
It's been confirmed by the lead engineers from both scion and subaru that this is abnormal.
Look for Whiteout-FRS's post - I don't remember where I saw it but its somewhere in the forums here

Edit: I found it, from 6/22
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=8285&page=13
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout fr-s View Post
alright guys,

As I am the first person to actually let Toyobaru technicians fully diagnose my car, Subaru and Toyota sent 2 technicians each from Japan too actually diagnose my engine and these issues we are experiencing.

So, to begin, the issues are NOT normal and need to be fixed. The technicians fixed some valves, readjusted cam angles etc.. but I will get the full repair specs Monday. They are also tracking my car tomorrow and Sunday to get full engine read outs for future FR-S owners. So as of Monday any of you experiencing this problem will have a fix, and a quick one at that.

I have not had my car for a month now because of this but I can tell you that as long as I know that future owners will not experience these problems it was well worth it. Good luck to everyone who has had this issue and if you are still experiencing this please take your cars to the dealership over the next month and your problems should be addressed a lot sooner than mine!
Bonburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #150
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Quote:
All that said, if it IS an issue, then I want nothing more for it to be diagnosed correctly, and repaired properly.
I'm with you 100%, that's all I wanted from my ranting in this thread. It won't get fixed until enough people complain.

And, per the link in the post above me, both Subaru and Scion have acted on the issue. All we are waiting on now is the update from the owner "whiteout fr-s", hopefully after he has put several hundred new miles and not an after-action report from an hour after pickup.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #151
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Garage
Same thread but on page 16, he only had ~100 miles, but there are people with over 1k miles with same issues.
He got roughly 400 since his last post 4pm "today".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu L Tissimus View Post
Just checking in again - I've been driving mine a lot since the camshaft sensor/oil valve were swapped out and I've had absolutely zero shuddering or dropping below 600 at idle. I really think they've found the problem.

This is the exact situation it was most reproducible in for me as well.
Edit: Stu L Tissimus admits that he never noticed the chirping, but I never noticed it either until I opened the hood with the engine on.
Regardless, Whiteout-FRS and Stu L Tissimus has gotten the same treatment to their engine (pg 14) - so either they had the same issue or the method to fix 2 problems was identical - who knows. The point being that this needs to be dealt with.

Last edited by Bonburner; 06-27-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #152
Fenrir

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
Same thread but on page 16, he only had ~100 miles, but there are people with over 1k miles with same issues.
He got roughly 400 since his last post 4pm "today".

Edit: Stu L Tissimus admits that he never noticed the chirping, but I never noticed it either until I opened the hood with the engine on.
Regardless, Whiteout-FRS and Stu L Tissimus has gotten the same treatment to their engine (pg 14) - so either they had the same issue or the method to fix 2 problems was identical - who knows. The point being that this needs to be dealt with.
Camshaft sensor, eh? Mine definitely has the shudder issue. Glad there's an actual diagnosis that happened instead of "my dealship said this!". I'll check out that thread and see what other info they have.

EDIT: Seems like this is a different issue though, this is for shuddering and idle RPM issues, neither of these guys say anything about the chirping noise, and the only talk of this noise is being dismissed by people trying to stay on topic. So, different issue, different fix it looks like. :\

Last edited by Fenrir; 06-27-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #153
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Garage
Yeah I agree its great that there is a means of fixing this issue.
I'm still waiting on some more information/feedback regarding it, but so far Stu L Tissimus said that the engine feels 'more solid' - he has difficulty pointing out what feels better though haha
Old 06-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #154
taosracer
Frickin' Genius

Drives: GBS BRZ 6sp, 2002 ts wagon WRX swap
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For those of us that have concerns with our cars, you might find this interesting:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...458#post241458

I hear on occasion, people say that they are bored...wrong answer....An engine can be bored, a person would more correctly state that they are boring.
taosracer is offline   Reply With Quote