follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2015, 05:16 PM   #169
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
I see. You will unfortunately have to graduate to Point-By run group in order to register for the 86cup. Best way, if you have 4-5 days, is to have one of the NCRC instructors evaluate you on track for a session. Thoughts @MyRx?
That kind of sucks. I have 4(1 NCRC, Two Private, 1 SpeedSF)days, so I guess I could petition to have an instructor drive with me. By the time of the 86cup event in June(right?), Ill have done 8 or so, so we'll see.

Thanks for all the info.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #170
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal@EQtuning View Post
That kind of sucks. I have 4(1 NCRC, Two Private, 1 SpeedSF)days, so I guess I could petition to have an instructor drive with me. By the time of the 86cup event in June(right?), Ill have done 8 or so, so we'll see.

Thanks for all the info.
Yes you should be in point by soon if you have 4 track days already.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:03 PM   #171
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
Yes you should be in point by soon if you have 4 track days already.
Well, at the same time don't try and rush to move up groups. As you go up people expect you to be paying more attention and be moving faster. This pressure can actually slow down your progression since you aren't focusing on skill development that much.

Conversely seeing how the faster drivers in a group take a corner can also be very informative (assuming you are skilled enough to absorb what they are doing) and helpful.

I guess what I am saying is move up because that is where you belong, not because you want to do the TT stuff.

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:25 PM   #172
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeflyer View Post
Well, at the same time don't try and rush to move up groups. As you go up people expect you to be paying more attention and be moving faster. This pressure can actually slow down your progression since you aren't focusing on skill development that much.

Conversely seeing how the faster drivers in a group take a corner can also be very informative (assuming you are skilled enough to absorb what they are doing) and helpful.

I guess what I am saying is move up because that is where you belong, not because you want to do the TT stuff.
well said. I actually took my time and didn't ask to move up to the Point By group until I had about 10 events under my belt. At that point I felt I was ready and it was actually a pleasant surprise to find less traffic and better driver courtesy in the PB group. So glad I moved up, but didn't want to rush it until I felt ready.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:46 PM   #173
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Which is why I recommended getting a ncrc instructor to ride along IF he had 4-5 days under his belt and he feels like it is time to get evaluated for PB.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #174
Bones36

Drives: 13 Brz Jrsc
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/03/...ast-track-day/
Bones36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:26 AM   #175
FUN BRZ
Drive 2 Eat, Eat 2 Drive

Drives: FUN SUPERCHARGED 2013 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Been reading this thread lately and just got a few questions since I've never been on the track but would love the experience.

Is there like events/days specifically designed for us noobs?
Pretty much where we are separated to kinda have the track to ourselves at our own pace? Maybe something like a 30 second window between the cars. Or like "Instructional" track events?

Really curious! If I was a cat I think I'd be dead by now...

FUN_BRZ <--- "Insta-Fun"
FUN BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:43 AM   #176
xero404

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones36 View Post
Made it on the front page . Knew these red ce28s would come In handy for rice points lol.

Last edited by xero404; 03-05-2015 at 12:23 PM.
xero404 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xero404 For This Useful Post:
juliog (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 01:49 AM   #177
xero404

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUN BRZ View Post
Been reading this thread lately and just got a few questions since I've never been on the track but would love the experience.

Pretty much where we are separated to kinda have the track to ourselves at our own pace? Maybe something like a 30 second window between the cars. Or like "Instructional" track events?

Ncrc (the host group for 86cup) has a driver's school with an instructor for first timer. From mostly going to socal track days ncrc is a breath of fresh air as they are very professional and accommodating for all skill levels. Ive only run a handful of events with them and they are truly first class in safety for the drivers.
xero404 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xero404 For This Useful Post:
FUN BRZ (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 01:54 AM   #178
acx23

Drives: 2013 FRS (Silver)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Your best bet is with NASA's HPDE Group 1 (http://nasanorcal.com/) for you can get an experience driver/instructor to sit with you and answer any questions you may have.

Quote:

acx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acx23 For This Useful Post:
FUN BRZ (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 01:56 AM   #179
ddeflyer

Quote:

Most organizers separate drivers by experience/skill to some degree. When we are talking about NCRC, this is what School/Solo/PointBy/Open/ARC run groups are about (these groups also have varying rules for passing beyond the speed and experience level of the drivers).

Beyond that, some organizations have varying levels of instruction given to new drivers. NCRC, from what I understand, tends to be fairly light on the instructional aspect (lead follow level of coaching in the school group) with coaches available for hire if you so choose. This is still more than some organizations such as GGLC (golden gate lotus club) which do very minimal levels of formalized instruction programs.

At the other end of the spectrum you have organizations that generally put an instructor/coach in the right seat for every session until you move up to the higher run groups (and longer if you ask). These organizations also tend to be slower to move drivers into other run groups. Organizations that are more like this are PCA, Audi, HOD, and BMW (I haven't actually run with BMW but everyone tells me they are pretty hardcore on the coaching).

My personal opinion is that you should really do your first couple of times with one of the more instruction oriented groups in order to have that coach in your right seat keeping you safe and helping you avoid alot of bad habits.

My favorite of the coaching heavy groups is HOD, but full disclosure, I am a coach for HOD.

The Following User Says Thank You to ddeflyer For This Useful Post:
FUN BRZ (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 02:00 AM   #180
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeflyer View Post

I agree to a point. Im at a level where I think I belong in a faster group with NCRC, but I will let a professional decide. The issue I am running into, is that I am very observant of what's going on around me on the track, but a lot of guys in solo aren't, becuase they are inexperienced/distracted drivers. I get stuck behind people that don't look in their mirrors and don't understand that when you point by, you are supposed to let off. I just don't think that number of days at the track automatically corresponds to a safer/faster drive. I've seen plenty of experienced drivers do stupid things.

3 of the 4 events I have done now have been in either open passing, or optional point by, and I have done fine so far. I am being coached by an ex-professional superbike racer and 5+ year instructor for both motorcycles and cars that has helped me a lot. As long as I get a chance to show an NCRC instructor that I can be just as safe and keep up with the pace out there I will be happy. If he/she decides Im not ready, then I'll just have to keep practicing.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:05 AM   #181
ddeflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acx23 View Post
Your best bet is with NASA's HPDE Group 1 (http://nasanorcal.com/) for you can get an experience driver/instructor to sit with you and answer any questions you may have.
As I understand it (and I haven't actually done NASA events so this is second hand info), the NASA HPDE program is more oriented towards producing racers instead of track day junkies. As I understand it, choosing NASA vs. marquee clubs (when looking for groups with more instruction) really depends upon if you want to be doing wheel to wheel stuff later on or just doing laps.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:38 AM   #182
ddeflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal@EQtuning View Post
I agree to a point. Im at a level where I think I belong in a faster group with NCRC, but I will let a professional decide. The issue I am running into, is that I am very observant of what's going on around me on the track, but a lot of guys in solo aren't, becuase they are inexperienced/distracted drivers. I get stuck behind people that don't look in their mirrors and don't understand that when you point by, you are supposed to let off. I just don't think that number of days at the track automatically corresponds to a safer/faster drive. I've seen plenty of experienced drivers do stupid things.

3 of the 4 events I have done now have been in either open passing, or optional point by, and I have done fine so far. I am being coached by an ex-professional superbike racer and 5+ year instructor for both motorcycles and cars that has helped me a lot. As long as I get a chance to show an NCRC instructor that I can be just as safe and keep up with the pace out there I will be happy. If he/she decides Im not ready, then I'll just have to keep practicing.
Just ask nicely and be humble. As long as your self evaluation isn't totally in left field then your checkout will go smoothly.

Also, don't be this guy :

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8"]Trackday Comedy - FLAT OUT - YouTube[/ame]