follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2019, 09:56 PM   #29
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac8 View Post
starting to lean heavily towards the JRSC c30 kit with their tune. seeing as installing a catback will make the most sense with how the SC works. Need to call them soon. When does the boost start to build on the JRSC c30 kit?
With JRSC, boost increases with rpm almost linearly. It is not like turbo that happens after a certain rpm. Or it is not like Edelbrock that boost is always there. If you want power immediately, you need to downshift simultaneously with pushing the throttle. The power after 5000 rpm is unreal compared to stock. 2000 rpm feels close to stock. I chose JRSC specifically for these characteristics for engine reliability and fuel efficiency. I still get the same fuel efficiency for normal driving. But it really burns the gas and delivers the power when I mean it.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (02-20-2019), J1Avs (02-15-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 05:29 AM   #30
zac8

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS black and 2007 impreza
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
With JRSC, boost increases with rpm almost linearly. It is not like turbo that happens after a certain rpm. Or it is not like Edelbrock that boost is always there. If you want power immediately, you need to downshift simultaneously with pushing the throttle. The power after 5000 rpm is unreal compared to stock. 2000 rpm feels close to stock. I chose JRSC specifically for these characteristics for engine reliability and fuel efficiency. I still get the same fuel efficiency for normal driving. But it really burns the gas and delivers the power when I mean it.
I really like how it keeps the car driving the same. Is kind of a reason I am leaning towards this kit now. Did you get the JC tune?
zac8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #31
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I really like how it keeps the car driving the same. Is kind of a reason I am leaning towards this kit now. Did you get the JC tune?
Yes, I have the CARB tune by Jackson Racing.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
zac8 (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #32
Elliotw

Drives: '18 BRZ tS, '18 GTI SE, '11 RS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'd go Edelbrock or Harrop. (I went with Edelbrock myself)
Elliotw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #33
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
will look into JDL. I am new at this, so I do not know how the kit is compromised. In what ways is it 'inferior'?
Design wise there are a few things.

See how much hardware is up high? The turbo? The A2W intercooler? That raises your COG. On many other kits, the turbo sits significantly lower, (That said, this kit does keep the bulk of that weight further back by the battery instead of letting it hang over the nose.)

Retaining stock header? HUGE performance hit. The factory cat is very restrictive, and putting it before a turbocharger is a HUGE no-no. As the cat breaks up over time and heat, it will send bits of worn out cat into the turbo to be munched up. This is awful on the hot side.

The stage 2 kit seems to have a decent intercooler solution, the stage 1 kit's intercooler is atrocious.

These are reasons enough for me to entirely write it off compared to other kits.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #34
teetsdownlow

Drives: 2015 FRS
I have had a JRSC on my auto for roughly 30k miles (quit counting). Paired with E85, OFH, and a couple other things it's a blast. Taking a step back and not digging into the most power per dollar, or the cheapest kit, heres what I see.

I notice you have a brand new car, plans to add more power, and the state requires emission testing.

Due to the low year and miles, with the Edelbrock warranty it's hard to beat. A company willing to warranty powertrain that they didn't design or manufacture is big. How many claims and whats the process is hard to tell. But just reading the black and white, it's a massive selling point for customers that intend to lease their ride. Keep in mind it can not be modified from its original selling form (carb compliant), and must be installed by a recommended installer to be eligible.

Ask yourself if you are willing to, say every 2 years, take your car to someone to remove the turbo kit, re-tune, pass inspection, re-install and re-tune. While now you may think it's okay, ask the 2 year older self if you'll have the time and money every 2 years to do that. Good thing about CA is if you decided whatever FI you are exempt from bi yearly inspection until it's 5 years old. Bad thing is if you get pulled over and ref'd it's no vaseline zone. Nice thing about the works kit is it gives you a good boost in power, ability to change out the exhaust manifold to a catted/catless, UEL/EL, a bigger turbo, etc

Works really did some good pioneering on this kit and it should be recognized. It may not be the best turbo kit available (price, power, whatever), but they delivered a PNP carb legal kit, that has potential to create more power.

Regardless, replacing any components in the CARB legal form is out of compliance. I would much rather just replace the exhaust manifold and re-tune on carb related FI than save 1-2k by getting a "better" kit and having to remove and reinstall the kit and re-tune. Your reliability will be based on YOUR driving habits, tuner, and random acts that we can't control haha. Keep it under 300whp and you should be right inside the high side of the safe zone. Be mindful though that an engine can bend a rod or spin a bearing stock. So it can happen at any power level.

I'm very very happy with my JRSC. Anytime inspection time comes I just remove the flex fuel kit, re-install factory exhaust manifold, and re-flash my FNG tune that has passed emission before( it's not a carb tune) and away I go for 2 years.
teetsdownlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teetsdownlow For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (02-20-2019), zac8 (02-21-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #35
Victorscp

Drives: 2018 BRZ premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Design wise there are a few things.

See how much hardware is up high? The turbo? The A2W intercooler? That raises your COG. On many other kits, the turbo sits significantly lower, (That said, this kit does keep the bulk of that weight further back by the battery instead of letting it hang over the nose.)

Retaining stock header? HUGE performance hit. The factory cat is very restrictive, and putting it before a turbocharger is a HUGE no-no. As the cat breaks up over time and heat, it will send bits of worn out cat into the turbo to be munched up. This is awful on the hot side.

The stage 2 kit seems to have a decent intercooler solution, the stage 1 kit's intercooler is atrocious.

These are reasons enough for me to entirely write it off compared to other kits.
can't you just swap out the cats for catless headers?

also i doubt the COG going to be an issue with a turbo kit?
Victorscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #36
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorscp View Post
can't you just swap out the cats for catless headers?
Yes, at an added cost while negating the primary design feature of this kit, (CARB compliance,) that drives its price point considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorscp View Post
also i doubt the COG going to be an issue with a turbo kit?
I'm nitpicking from an idealist perspective!
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #37
JCW 86

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
No matter what forced induction route you go down, reliability is going to come down to the tune. You could have an awesome ptuning kit running conservative boost and still blow the motor if the tuner is incompetent. There are many proven forced induction kits for this platform that you can research on the forum. Choose which one fits your needs the best.

The real question is what tune are you going to be using or where you are getting your tune from. The CARB JRSC Tune is known to be quite good, but if you're looking for custom tuning, that's where I think you should invest most of your research. This car has both direct injection and port injection which causes a lot of headaches for tuners if they haven't tuned these cars before so it is important that you find a competent one.

Are you looking to get it dyno tuned? If so, you'll need to find a tuner in your area with a good reputation and one that has tuned these cars before. If there aren't any in your area, plenty of people have had good experiences with Delicious Tuning and there flash 'n go service. You basically tell them your mods and they'll give you a base map. From there you'll log data and go back and forth with them as they revise your tune to fit your car.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, just remember research, research, and research when it comes to expensive car parts. The last thing you want to do is spend a whole bunch of money and realize that it was a waste. Happy driving!
JCW 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JCW 86 For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (03-04-2019)