follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
BRZ vs. Fake Cop trying to pull me over (PSA)

Might not be appropriate for this section -- but I feel like its more of a PSA after what happened last night.

One tried to pull me over -- he tried to get me to stop, but I ignored him the moment I saw the civilian plate, then he followed me onto an exit with some back roads I know well, and thanks to the BRZ's agility, I lost him by the second corner.

My dash cam isn't that great at night, so I'm still trying to decipher the plate.

Interesting commute home tonight to say the least.

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History

Last edited by dhuang; 01-23-2019 at 04:26 PM.
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
Spuds (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:03 AM   #2
Xproplayer

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited Auto 43k
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wow I'm shocked you recognized that. I suppose I would pull over for any blue lights, how can you know its not some form of undercover officer and you'd get in even more trouble?
Xproplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:33 AM   #3
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Should have dialed 911 and then followed him until they catch up with you two. They'll do this again since they weren't caught and who knows their intentions when somebody actually does pull over.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
8RZ (01-22-2019), Brink (01-22-2019), dhuang (01-22-2019), Drake_93 (02-14-2019), eastendraceshop (01-22-2019), MuseChaser (01-27-2019), soulreapersteve (01-24-2019), Spuds (01-22-2019), Tristor (03-28-2019), Victorscp (03-01-2019), Yardjass (01-27-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 01:16 AM   #4
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Interesting. Just happened to me 3 days ago. All white ford fusion, completely unmarked and regular registration and plates, with mini blue led lights inside only, no other colors. Guy pulled up next to me while I'm at a stop light and he told me he should be writing me a ticket. I asked what for and he said don't play stupid just apologize right now or I'm pulling you over. I scoffed and asked for his badge number and name, and he drove away. 1 intersection later he pulled over a challenger, and the dodge actually stopped and I wondered what ended up happening there. Makes me want a dash cam again
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toyarzee For This Useful Post:
dhuang (01-22-2019), eastendraceshop (01-22-2019), Tristor (03-28-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 01:51 AM   #5
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xproplayer View Post
Wow I'm shocked you recognized that. I suppose I would pull over for any blue lights, how can you know its not some form of undercover officer and you'd get in even more trouble?
Experience and intuition I guess? A real traffic stop in GA would not involve an officer getting in front of you to slow you down. Usually they will follow you until you pull over to a safe spot.

I've had many routine traffic stops to know the typical behavior.

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 04:04 AM   #6
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Should have dialed 911 and then followed him until they catch up with you two. They'll do this again since they weren't caught and who knows their intentions when somebody actually does pull over.
And/or just let the dumbass follow you to the nearest police station.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:23 AM   #7
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuang View Post
Might not be appropriate for this section -- but I feel like its more of a PSA after what happened last night.

One tried to pull me over -- he tried to get me to stop, but I ignored him the moment I saw the civilian plate, then he followed me onto an exit with some back roads I know well, and thanks to the BRZ's agility, I lost him by the second corner.

My dash cam isn't that great at night, so I'm still trying to decipher the plate.

Interesting commute home tonight to say the least.

Well, I guess you'll know for sure if the cop was real or not in the next few days lol.

Looks a bit like A29-J504.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
ermax (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 07:32 AM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Ever since the death of the Crown Vic you can never be sure who is a cop around here. They usually drive Tahoes or Chargers but could also be in Impalas, Taurus, Mustangs, Camaros, pick up trucks and even minivans. I have not seen it but I understand the Ontario police even have a Telsa! Most of the "abnormal" cars are either unmarked or have the stealth markings and since all police cars in Ontario use just normal plates you can never be too sure. What they do really well here is light those cars up. The sheer number of red and blue lights will create a flashing purple glow in the sky that you can not miss or not understand. They also all have sirens so if they want you to pull over you will have zero doubt.

Not sure about there but here, in the time shown in your video, if it was a real cop there would have been at least one more joining in. In under 10 minutes you would have had several and it would be a parade. Unless you went into high speeds that were dangerous so they called it off you would not have lost them after just a couple of turns. Even if you did shake them they would have scanned your plate (they don't need to even read and key it in anymore) and you would have had a rather perturbed reception committee waiting for you when you got home.

The fact that they gave up so easy on you and didn't come searching afterward would most certainly support the theory that they were fake. Unless of course you are now in jail and don't have access to the forum! Good thing that you realized what was going down and avoided them or your thread title may have been "well I was jacked last night".
Dadhawk (01-22-2019), Spuds (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #9
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
...What they do really well here is light those cars up. The sheer number of red and blue lights will create a flashing purple glow in the sky that you can not miss or not understand.
With the change over to LED lighting on police cars, this has become a real issue in my opinion, particularly when they gather in mass around a wreck.

I had an incident a couple of weeks back where I was approaching a wreck on a two lane road before dawn on my way to work. There were 3 cop cars, on ambulance and a wrecker all with LED lights blaring away. The lights were so bright it completely destroyed my night vision and the ability to discern anything around the scene other than the lights. I almost sideswiped a cop that was standing out in front of his vehicle in the road but was invisible even with his safety vest on because he was on the "other side" of the lights. Had I not been moving past him at about 2MPH I'm pretty sure I would have hit him.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
ermax (01-22-2019), MuseChaser (01-27-2019), Spuds (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #10
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
There are TONS of cops like this in Jacksonville, FL. The narcotics cops use impound cars and if you drive crazy enough they will pull you over even though that isn't their job. I had a guy in a C230 with a normal tag with one of those tinted covers over his plat pull up next to me. When the light turned green I took off briskly but not racing. I guess he thought I was racing so he took off which then triggered me that it was a race so I walked him a few car lengths and then dropped back down to the speed limit. He then starts riding my ass like crazy so I'm throwing my hands up like WTF is your problem. I take my exit and he follows me. I look in my mirror and see he has a swat vest on. Opps. So he turns his lights on at the next turn. I pull over and he rages on me but lets me go.

I also had a friend of mine that spent the night in jail for running from an unmarked state trooper. He was on I95 and blew past them in a Suburban. They didn't even have lights, they just took off trying to catch him. He went faster and then took an exit and then they pulled up behind him at a stop, all four doors flew open and 4 state troopers jumped out.

Long story short. Just because he has a light doesn't make him a cop but just because he has a normal plate doesn't mean he isn't a cop.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (01-27-2019), Spuds (01-22-2019), Tcoat (01-22-2019), Tristor (03-28-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
With the change over to LED lighting on police cars, this has become a real issue in my opinion, particularly when they gather in mass around a wreck.

I had an incident a couple of weeks back where I was approaching a wreck on a two lane road before dawn on my way to work. There were 3 cop cars, on ambulance and a wrecker all with LED lights blaring away. The lights were so bright it completely destroyed my night vision and the ability to discern anything around the scene other than the lights. I almost sideswiped a cop that was standing out in front of his vehicle in the road but was invisible even with his safety vest on because he was on the "other side" of the lights. Had I not been moving past him at about 2MPH I'm pretty sure I would have hit him.
I can not speak for other municipalities but our local and Provincial police seem to have two settings for their lights. When moving they are lit up like Christmas trees and would not be surprised if there are 20 or more lights going front, back and sides. When stopped they generally only have two small window lights in back and two or 3 in front that are on. The rack mounted ones (if present at all), side and bumper mounted ones are usually off when stopped. Makes a huge difference.
I am just old enough to remember when they used to have only one.

Dadhawk (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #12
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
There are TONS of cops like this in Jacksonville, FL. The narcotics cops use impound cars and if you drive crazy enough they will pull you over even though that isn't their job. I had a guy in a C230 with a normal tag with one of those tinted covers over his plat pull up next to me. When the light turned green I took off briskly but not racing. I guess he thought I was racing so he took off which then triggered me that it was a race so I walked him a few car lengths and then dropped back down to the speed limit. He then starts riding my ass like crazy so I'm throwing my hands up like WTF is your problem. I take my exit and he follows me. I look in my mirror and see he has a swat vest on. Opps. So he turns his lights on at the next turn. I pull over and he rages on me but lets me go.

I also had a friend of mine that spent the night in jail for running from an unmarked state trooper. He was on I95 and blew past them in a Suburban. They didn't even have lights, they just took off trying to catch him. He went faster and then took an exit and then they pulled up behind him at a stop, all four doors flew open and 4 state troopers jumped out.

Long story short. Just because he has a light doesn't make him a cop but just because he has a normal plate doesn't mean he isn't a cop.

Do they use seized vehicles there? Some of the odder ones used here were seized as proceeds of crime. They use them for a while and then auction them off.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #13
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Do they use seized vehicles there? Some of the odder ones used here were seized as proceeds of crime. They use them for a while and then auction them off.
According to one of my fiends who is a cop in town, they use seized or impounded cars so they will not be recognized when doing narcotics work. We also have traffic cops driving unmarked cars but they are easier to spot because they are typically the same models as the marked cop cars with illegally dark tint but without external lights, paint or city tag. I was caught off guard by a Mercedes C230, especially with the illegal tinted tag cover.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #14
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I can not speak for other municipalities but our local and Provincial police seem to have two settings for their lights.
Here I think they have extra lights they turn on when stopped it is a true light show.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (01-27-2019), Tcoat (01-22-2019)