follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > New England

New England MA, ME, NH, RI, VT

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Valve Spring Recall

Anyone around central Massachusetts had this recall done yet? I'm REALLY not looking forward to having some Toyota dealership tech have to strip my Subaru motored car down to the short block to do this work, especially at just 55K miles and NO LEAKS...

Plus, I just got it back from the body shop a few weeks ago and not really wanting them leaning all over my freshly painted fenders and pulling the front end off yet again...

Any recommendations for a good dealership who's done this before? (preferably a bunch of times...)
Old 02-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #2
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Anyone around central Massachusetts had this recall done yet? I'm REALLY not looking forward to having some Toyota dealership tech have to strip my Subaru motored car down to the short block to do this work, especially at just 55K miles and NO LEAKS...

Plus, I just got it back from the body shop a few weeks ago and not really wanting them leaning all over my freshly painted fenders and pulling the front end off yet again...

Any recommendations for a good dealership who's done this before? (preferably a bunch of times...)
Good news is the front end doesn't need to come off to pull the engine on this car. You don't even need to pull the radiator on this thing.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
ive been reading about this on the forum, and correct me if im wrong, but you only NEED to do this if ur in cali bc they wont pass your car for inspection unless you do it. you can still pass inspection in ma without doing the recall. please correct me if im wrong to prevent spreading misinformation. but likely many will want to do the recall regardless for general good car keeping and maintenance. but i say dont fix it if it aint broke.
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

The issue for me isn't whether I HAVE to do the recall or not...I realize i can refuse the recall and be done with it. The problem is if I do that, I'm pretty sure it's going to void engine coverage on my extended warranty, if one of the springs does actually break. My local dealership is working pretty aggressively to get ahold of me and schedule this work, so it's not like I can just put it off and claim ignorance...
Old 02-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
HaXx

I wonder if you could pay yourself to get the work done at a reputable tune shop you trust, and your dealership would recognize that for continuation of warranty. might be worth the money to have skilled hands doing it instead of random toyota techs, no disrespect meant.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Unfortunately, warranty and recall work has to be done by dealerships. No options there. I've worked at a couple of dealerships (as well as a couple of independent shops) over the past 30 years, and what I've seen is exactly why I'm so reluctant to bring a car that is currently in perfect running shape in to have the majority of the motor disassembled by someone who is trying to make time on a big job that is already paying fewer hours than non-warranty/recall work..

Again, if anyone in this area has already had this done, or simply has had demonstrably positive experiences at a particular dealership, I'd appreciate knowing where you went. My local dealer ship immediately started tap-dancing when I asked them how many of these recalls they'd already done...
Ultramaroon (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 11:08 PM   #7
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Oh, save us... ANOTHER one...
Old 02-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #8
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Another what? Another thread looking for dealerships in central Mass that have an excellent reputation for service, particularly with experience in the valve spring replacement recall? If it's already been discussed, feel free to point me to that specific thread.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Another what? Another thread looking for dealerships in central Mass that have an excellent reputation for service, particularly with experience in the valve spring replacement recall? If it's already been discussed, feel free to point me to that specific thread.

My apologies.. it had been a long day. The snark wasn't called for, and wasn't directed at you.. just at seeing another valve spring recall thread of any kind.

The gist of all the other threads, however, has been that any dealership can do this. Mine was the first one done at our local Toyota dealership, and it went fine. No need to worry. The procedures and needed tools are detailed to such an extent in the service bulletins that any dealership will be able to handle this.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
My apologies.. it had been a long day. The snark wasn't called for, and wasn't directed at you.. just at seeing another valve spring recall thread of any kind.

The gist of all the other threads, however, has been that any dealership can do this. Mine was the first one done at our local Toyota dealership, and it went fine. No need to worry. The procedures and needed tools are detailed to such an extent in the service bulletins that any dealership will be able to handle this.
Just to be clear, my hesitation has nothing to do with the repair procedure Subaru/Toyota have developed. It is with the high degree of variability that these procedures are followed, depending on the dealership used, and more specifically with tech technicians themselves. As I said earlier, I've been a tech at a couple of different dealerships, and with several brands, and the one common theme is the INCONSISTENT quality of work that occurs at dealerships, despite being staffed by "factory trained technicians". There are several reasons that explain this which I won't get into here, but the bottom line is that dealerships are generally the LAST place I go for quality work to be done. The average commuter drone has no idea what goes on in the shop, and so their ignorance is bliss. This is why I'm asking for specific dealership recommendations in this area, with experience with this particular repair AND a reputation for quality service and employees.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #11
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
can << will

There is ample evidence to justify some due diligence.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #12
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

^ Eggzactly. Lol
Ultramaroon (02-17-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 08:45 PM   #13
HaXx

Not sure if you have to get it done at a toyota dealership, but subaru wakefield has the best and biggest service department around here
The Following User Says Thank You to HaXx For This Useful Post:
venturaII (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 07:41 PM   #14
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Good to know. Honestly, I assume I'll be limited to Toyota dealership since I have a Scion, but if that's not the case I'll keep them in mind. thanks!

Last edited by venturaII; 02-26-2019 at 08:51 AM.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote