follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #15
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lost mine when doing spirited driving with 18x9 wheels. Once they start to rub your tread and you're shifting weight around, they'll catch and get ripped out if you're unlucky.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #16
MaverickMonk

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitters View Post
I broadsided like Rife said... huge dent in the bottom/side skirt section of the fender, needed bodywork to fix.
Oof, that almost makes me want to throw any chance of winning and put lip/sideskirts on to class myself into SP or SM
MaverickMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:43 PM   #17
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
Is a 'linger' the ghouls that hang about corners waiting for the next crash?
Piff you knew what I tried to spell.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #18
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickMonk View Post
Oof, that almost makes me want to throw any chance of winning and put lip/sideskirts on to class myself into SP or SM
STX
can run the OE stuff...
Old 07-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #19
MaverickMonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
STX
can run the OE stuff...
2013 BRZ. There is no oem stuff. Just STI stuff that doesn’t count :/
Old 07-16-2019, 08:12 PM   #20
cjd

Garage
Quote:
2013 BRZ. There is no oem stuff. Just STI stuff that doesn’t count :/
I mean, doesn't count how? For STX it's legal, far as I understand how the rules work. Heck, for locals I'd never think twice about running it on an FR-S even. I'd bump out happily to get away from competing with anyone that felt it was worth throwing a fit over.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:45 PM   #21
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I mean, doesn't count how? For STX it's legal, far as I understand how the rules work. Heck, for locals I'd never think twice about running it on an FR-S even. I'd bump out happily to get away from competing with anyone that felt it was worth throwing a fit over.
It's aero that doesn't come from the factory nor was it 'port installed' they are dealership stick on parts from the "performance catalog" which are expressly not allowed in 14.2.F

14.2.F.2
... This does not allow for parts sold through a manufacturer’s performance catalog (e.g., Ford Racing, HPD, Mazdaspeed, Mopar Performance, Mugen, NISMO, SPT, TRD, etc).

Agreed it's in the noise, but I wouldn't call it legal unless I missed something.

Also +1 on broadsiding a cone at >50mph and picking up a rocker panel dent, mine is the size of my hand. Funny story, I had gotten my car back from the body shop on Friday, they fucked it up and needed to fix something but hey autox, put another dent in it Saturday afternoon, dropped it off Monday saying yeah that dent is my fault, you just gotta fix that one.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #22
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
It's aero that doesn't come from the factory nor was it 'port installed' they are dealership stick on parts from the "performance catalog" which are expressly not allowed in 14.2.F

14.2.F.2
... This does not allow for parts sold through a manufacturer’s performance catalog (e.g., Ford Racing, HPD, Mazdaspeed, Mopar Performance, Mugen, NISMO, SPT, TRD, etc).

Agreed it's in the noise, but I wouldn't call it legal unless I missed something.

Also +1 on broadsiding a cone at >50mph and picking up a rocker panel dent, mine is the size of my hand. Funny story, I had gotten my car back from the body shop on Friday, they fucked it up and needed to fix something but hey autox, put another dent in it Saturday afternoon, dropped it off Monday saying yeah that dent is my fault, you just gotta fix that one.

Nah, it came on cars from the factory and was not a dealer installed option. Just because it is also available through said catalog doesn't make it not legal. The only question is whether it's legal on a '13 because no car in that year came with it. My fuzzy understanding is that it'd not be legal in street, but it is fine in touring.

My '14 had a huge cone-shaped dent I hid under STI trim right in front of the rear wheel. My current car has a dent pretty far up the door from the top of a cone (bit too aggressive into the finish and didn't look where I should have because I was too close to the timers and was watching them with fear... so spun hard through a wall). Even with STI skirts.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:03 PM   #23
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Nah, it came on cars from the factory and was not a dealer installed option.
Ah I can make an argument for that now, 14.2.F.1, side skirts were standard on certain models of the car: For the FR-S they had the 'Release Series 1.0' model and the BRZ had the 'Series Blue' model that both had side skirts (and a lip I think).

I'm pretty sure that the FR-S didn't have any other models (pure price yo) so there were no 'factory side skirts' on regular FR-S's those were absolutely dealer add ons (like the 5-axis stuff).
Old 07-17-2019, 07:12 AM   #24
MaverickMonk

Quote:
Ah I can make an argument for that now, 14.2.F.1, side skirts were standard on certain models of the car: For the FR-S they had the 'Release Series 1.0' model and the BRZ had the 'Series Blue' model that both had side skirts (and a lip I think).

I'm pretty sure that the FR-S didn't have any other models (pure price yo) so there were no 'factory side skirts' on regular FR-S's those were absolutely dealer add ons (like the 5-axis stuff).
Series.Blue was 2015, don’t the options need to be available on that specific model year?
Old 07-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #25
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Last year, we had a sweepy 90 degree right hander. No drama riding the limiter in 2nd. Tried grabbing 3rd and hit a bump just right and the car snap spun and I took out the outside wall. Pushed the pass front fender (behind the tire) about 6 inches.

This year, I spun at a rain event and broadsided a slalom cone with triple laydowns. The base of 1 cone put a dent below the door and then the base of the next one put a crease just in front of the rear wheel.

Both events in relatively cold weather.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #26
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Series.Blue was 2015, don’t the options need to be available on that specific model year?
The way I'm reading the street touring rules I'd say the years don't matter, but I could be wrong.

That might be an issue for Street cars and converting over to the 'option package' or whatever.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #27
cjd

Garage
Quote:
The way I'm reading the street touring rules I'd say the years don't matter, but I could be wrong.

That might be an issue for Street cars and converting over to the 'option package' or whatever.

This is consistent with my read of the rules.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #28
MaverickMonk

Quote:
This is consistent with my read of the rules.
Perhaps... 14.2.F.1 seems to state that if it was standard or optional part on a US Model of the vehicle its ok. A model being

"A group of cars of a given make which have virtually identical bodies and chassis but are readily distinguished from other models of the same make by virtue of a major difference in body appearance and/or chassis design. The names by which the manufacturer designates these groups have no bearing on this definition even though two (2) groups may be designated identically" as per section 12. So that should span years? I think a 2015 Series.Blue BRZ is the same model as a 2013 limited.

I'd hate to buy some sideskirts and a lip and get classed into SM. Not that I'm competitive in STX. I can barely drive the car! but I do want to follow the rules.