follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
ninjasaurusrex

Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY Red Tint and Smoked Tail Lights (PICTURE HEAVY)

hey so i pretty much followed http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7826 but decided to post anyways

initially, i was just wanting to smoke my tail lights, but then one of my friends who has a black tacoma suggested that 'red looks better on black'. i looked at some pictures and decided that i didn't just want to red them, but smoke them as well..

these are the items i used: Shop light, VHT Nightshade Smoke and Red, Flathead screwdriver, Awl, and a 8mm wrench

first you have to take the single clip off of the rear carpet behind the tail light and fold it over to have access to the lights

there were two white zipties on my driver tail light holding wiring, but only one on my passenger one. i used my awl (from my tennis strining tools) to undo the zip tie, i wasn't able to use a screwdriver to undo the ziptie. afterwards there are just 4 nuts to unscrew to get the head light out

i just washed my car so my tails weren't too dirty, but i wiped them down with alcohol and then taped the top part that sticks out when the trunk is open

if i'm not mistaken, this was after 2 light coats of the Red Nightshade

this is where i differed from the original diy. he said he did 1 medium coat of the smoke and i thought that might be a little excessive and i have a heavy hand so i might have had runs...so i decided to do 2 light coats of the smoke tint. i'm not sure if this changes how the finish of the nightshade is, but mine are matted...i'm planning on wet sanding them when i get the chance and putting some clear on it

These are from the next morning

Thanks for reading! I hope it helps someone
ninjasaurusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ninjasaurusrex For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-28-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
jm1681

Drives: MKVI VW GTI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
They look nice, I just hate the muted look of nightshaded tails. I think if I were to do this, I'd have to coat and recoat and REcoat with glossy clear, and buff the hell out of them till they shined like mirrors...
jm1681 is offline   Reply With Quote