follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #15
Str8Ghostin

Drives: 2014 Raven Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Use the pedal dance; the 5 second hold does not fully remove the nannies and electronics.
Will do sir, I appreciate the help!
Str8Ghostin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Str8Ghostin For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #16
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Use the pedal dance; the 5 second hold does not fully remove the nannies and electronics.
Does the pedal dance also work with the 2015 WRX?
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #17
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
No need for the pedal dance. If you are getting into the area where the pedal dance is effective, you aren't driving the car smooth enough.

The regular 2-button hold for 5 sec is what you need and should leave the ABS engaged.

-mike
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
killboy (02-05-2015), tigermack (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #18
celica73

Drives: '13 BRZ / '11 Outback / '06 Tundra
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Does the pedal dance also work with the 2015 WRX?
Probably not, since it's a Toyota thing, not a Subaru thing.
celica73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #19
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
No need for the pedal dance. If you are getting into the area where the pedal dance is effective, you aren't driving the car smooth enough.

The regular 2-button hold for 5 sec is what you need and should leave the ABS engaged.

-mike
Pedal dance leaves ABS on... it just disables EBFD and "ice mode". If you're running staggered pad compounds, or like to trail brake hard it can make a big difference compared to just holding the TC button for 5 seconds. Doesn't mean you're not driving smoothly.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #20
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post

-mike
I beg to differ; if you're ever on the west coast, try driving WSIR without the pedal dance and you'll very quickly change your mind. T8 involves a lot of undulating bumps at 120+, and the e-lsd will try to "fix" inside rear wheel spin, and instead make the car try to kill you.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
juliog (02-04-2015), TrqlessWonder (02-04-2015), westendRIOT (02-04-2015), zdr93523 (02-05-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #21
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I beg to differ; if you're ever on the west coast, try driving WSIR without the pedal dance and you'll very quickly change your mind. T8 involves a lot of undulating bumps at 120+, and the e-lsd will try to "fix" inside rear wheel spin, and instead make the car try to kill you.

Hmmm. A car that tries to kill you?
That sounds like a great concept! You should write a book. Maybe they'll adapt it to a movie too!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #22
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Pedal dance leaves ABS on... it just disables EBFD and "ice mode". If you're running staggered pad compounds, or like to trail brake hard it can make a big difference compared to just holding the TC button for 5 seconds. Doesn't mean you're not driving smoothly.
I can attest to the fact that the pedal dance does not eliminate ice mode.

I suppose I should add that after being one of the biggest fans of the pedal dance, I have actually quit using it for autocross. I still try it now and then but I've gotten too used to (or good at?) letting the EBD sort it out for me, and the dance inevitably results in the ABS freaking out anytime I dive into a corner on the brakes (BIG front sway bar, stock springs).

I'm sure I could tweak my driving style to make it work but it's hard to justify that when I'm getting good results. On a road course with higher speed turns it would be a different story.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 03:20 PM   #23
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
I can attest to the fact that the pedal dance does not eliminate ice mode.

I suppose I should add that after being one of the biggest fans of the pedal dance, I have actually quit using it for autocross. I still try it now and then but I've gotten too used to (or good at?) letting the EBD sort it out for me, and the dance inevitably results in the ABS freaking out anytime I dive into a corner on the brakes (BIG front sway bar, stock springs).

I'm sure I could tweak my driving style to make it work but it's hard to justify that when I'm getting good results. On a road course with higher speed turns it would be a different story.
It's tempting, when competing, to do what get you the best result NOW, but learning to threshold brake may end up with you becoming faster in the long run, especially if you left foot brake.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:33 PM   #24
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
It's tempting, when competing, to do what get you the best result NOW, but learning to threshold brake may end up with you becoming faster in the long run, especially if you left foot brake.
I don't left foot brake, but interesting academic discussion here at the risk of hijacking the thread.

For starters, philosophically I agree with this guy. The short of it is it's just as important, if not more important, to make sure you don't go too long on the brakes as it is to make sure you're threshold braking.

Now let's look at autocross. These are the top things that determine your lap times:
- car placement
- distance traveled
- apex speed before longest straight
...roughly in that order. Threshold braking is certainly important, but generally only at large National events - smaller local events might have one or two heavy braking zones max. Some of the really small lots are 100% momentum maintenance.

At a local last weekend I used third gear twice. Using it even once is pretty rare unless you're at a national event.

We're forgetting one thing though, average speeds. In general, the amount of speed I need to scrub to make a turn at an autocross is much smaller. For some features, if I only need to scrub 10-15mph I actually don't want to threshold brake, because by the time I've reached the threshold I've scrubbed most or all of that speed; at this point my choices are to overslow or to upset the car by treating the brakes like an on/off switch. Stock springs are required in my class, so keep in mind every input to the car takes some time for the suspension to react, and it needs to finish reacting before you put another input in or you're asking for trouble (like a nose that's porpoising while trying to turn in).

Last but not least, I in particular have a big front sway bar, and this is where I lean the most on the EBD. Even a small amount of steering wheel lock at corner entry is enough to lighten the inside front such that in pedal dance mode, the ABS will lose its shirt (remember, you are reverting to single channel ABS). With EBD, it'll release brake pressure on just that wheel; without it, ABS reduces pressure for the whole system.

On a road course, would the pedal dance help me? Yeah.
If I switched to using real springs and smaller bars, would the pedal dance help me? Yeah.

As it stands now? I'm not convinced, and the lap times from one-off use of the dance back that up. That said I'll take your challenge on and do a whole event with the dance to see if I can adapt my driving.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #25
PowderfaceTr.

Drives: stock
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If your traction control is kicking in you suck at driving. Removing it is denial.

Using more than 6% slip??? you have a lot to learn about racing.

Unless you pirouette around pylons like a wanna be keep it on.

Racing a car you cant just change out flat spotted Avons every lap. To post laps you must take care of your consumables, transmission and power train. Baggin your Frs heat cycling and acting like "TUNERZ" cus you read a thread has got to stop.
PowderfaceTr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #26
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderfaceTr. View Post
If your traction control is kicking in you suck at driving. Removing it is denial.

Racing a car you cant just change out flat spotted Avons every lap. To post laps you must take care of your consumables, transmission and power train. Baggin your Frs heat cycling and acting like "TUNERZ" cus you read a thread has got to stop.
I'm doing it wrong. Thanks for educating me
Old 02-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #27
acro

Drives: GT-86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

lol

Are you serious or is this sarcasm. If its not sarcasm i would tell you to just keep quiet
acro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #28
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quote: