follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #2199
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
from what I've read, the diff washers are crush type and shouldn't really be re-used. The trans has standard flat washer and can be used over again.

So I'm surprised to hear that the suby dealership re-uses the diff washers..

oh well.. no big deal
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #2200
ZeHeadBanger
Stuck like Glue

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikond View Post
@ZeHeadBanger @DKPJester

Hit a snag on our project for this weekend. Suburban Subaru has no crush washers.. I ordered them from Suburban Scion.. they said they would be in Friday... but I called today to check and they are now saying that 2 of them are on backorder and they can't get them until early next week. So, unless you guys want to re-use the crush washers, or if you can help me find them from some other dealership, it looks like we might have to wait a while to do this project.

I was planning on reusing the crush washers, but I don't mind waiting a week to get new ones if that's what you guys are also planning to do. I will be changing my engine oil for sure this weekend. I'll most probably do it at my friends garage, who lives 5 minutes away from my house!

Let me know what you guys decide!
ZeHeadBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #2201
ZeHeadBanger
Stuck like Glue

Have any of you heard of any engine issues related to air fuel ratio above 5500 rpm? Supposedly, there seems to be an issue when you constantly rev above 5500 rpm that you engine starts to run lean. This causes damage to the spark plugs and in the long run, the engine too.

It seems that this is a cal fix and Subaru has released an official update, but it is available only to South Africa and not the other countries. I tried searching for this online, but couldn't get good info on it. Source: A non-BRZ owner, but he AutoXs his friend's BRZ.

Does anyone know anything else about this?
Old 05-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #2202
Sevs753

Drives: BRZ, Canyon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeHeadBanger View Post
Have any of you heard of any engine issues related to air fuel ratio above 5500 rpm? Supposedly, there seems to be an issue when you constantly rev above 5500 rpm that you engine starts to run lean. This causes damage to the spark plugs and in the long run, the engine too.

It seems that this is a cal fix and Subaru has released an official update, but it is available only to South Africa and not the other countries. I tried searching for this online, but couldn't get good info on it. Source: A non-BRZ owner, but he AutoXs his friend's BRZ.

Does anyone know anything else about this?
I believe you're thinking about the direct injector seal issue. Supposedly, that was finally fixed in US spec cars but I don't know for sure. Theres multiple large threads about it in the issues section.
Sevs753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #2203
DKPJester

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I was planning on reusing the crush washers, but I don't mind waiting a week to get new ones if that's what you guys are also planning to do. I will be changing my engine oil for sure this weekend. I'll most probably do it at my friends garage, who lives 5 minutes away from my house!

Let me know what you guys decide!
I just called every Toyota and Subaru dealership within an hour of me and no one had any. I hate to be that guy but I'd rather wait and throw new washers on. If you have one and one of you is reusing yours you guys can go ahead and do yours if you want, but i think I'm gonna wait it out.
OAKOS Automotive (05-06-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 02:10 AM   #2204
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKPJester View Post
I just called every Toyota and Subaru dealership within an hour of me and no one had any. I hate to be that guy but I'd rather wait and throw new washers on. If you have one and one of you is reusing yours you guys can go ahead and do yours if you want, but i think I'm gonna wait it out.
I have one fill washer and 3 drain washers for the diff. Sounds like Z doesn't care as he was planning to re-use. I'm fine with temporarily re-using the fill crush washer. I'll have the other ones in early this week and I can toss my car back up in the air and replace the fill washer in a few minutes... no big deal.

So, if you want to come over we can use both new washers for you. No problem at all.

I was thinking I'd get started around 1 or 1:30.. let me know if you are coming..

Thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #2205
DKPJester

Quote:
I have one fill washer and 3 drain washers for the diff. Sounds like Z doesn't care as he was planning to re-use. I'm fine with temporarily re-using the fill crush washer. I'll have the other ones in early this week and I can toss my car back up in the air and replace the fill washer in a few minutes... no big deal.

So, if you want to come over we can use both new washers for you. No problem at all.

I was thinking I'd get started around 1 or 1:30.. let me know if you are coming..

Thanks
That sounds fine by me if you don't mind. I'm meeting people for lunch in Farmington. I'll head your way from there.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #2206
ZeHeadBanger
Stuck like Glue

Quote:
That sounds fine by me if you don't mind. I'm meeting people for lunch in Farmington. I'll head your way from there.
@DKPJester and @eikond
I was initially planning to reuse my crush washers, but after reading around I think it is better to use new ones. I don't mind waiting a week if I can get new washers in. I would like to put in my washers and oil together as it would be easier for me to get both done when the car is on stands.

Looks like both of you would be getting your oils changed today afternoon. I don't think I'll be able to make it as something else came up. Let me know if I can pick up the oil and the washers sometime next weekend. I can then put it on myself at my friend's garage, as he too is planning on working on his engine.
Thanks!
Old 05-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #2207
DKPJester

Quote:
@DKPJester and @eikond
I was initially planning to reuse my crush washers, but after reading around I think it is better to use new ones. I don't mind waiting a week if I can get new washers in. I would like to put in my washers and oil together as it would be easier for me to get both done when the car is on stands.

Looks like both of you would be getting your oils changed today afternoon. I don't think I'll be able to make it as something else came up. Let me know if I can pick up the oil and the washers sometime next weekend. I can then put it on myself at my friend's garage, as he too is planning on working on his engine.
Thanks!
If you are waiting I vote just hold out for washers and do them all.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #2208
ZeHeadBanger
Stuck like Glue

Quote:
If you are waiting I vote just hold out for washers and do them all.
Yup, that's my plan! Also, I'm at 13k miles right now so this is not a change that I have to do immediately. Would have liked to meet new people from this forum but I guess that will have to wait!
Old 05-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #2209
DKPJester

Quote:
Yup, that's my plan! Also, I'm at 13k miles right now so this is not a change that I have to do immediately. Would have liked to meet new people from this forum but I guess that will have to wait!
I was going to wait until we could all get together and do the swap but scheduling will be problematic so we are just doing ours today. Hopefully we can get a meet for the forum soon
Old 05-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #2210
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karigan View Post
Davison isn't too bad of a drive (practically all highway for me).
I would be interested, as long as I have an unreasonable amount of advance notice. I am looking at June 14th being my next available weekend... :/ lol
Sorry it took so long but I do not have any events lined up for June 14th so in the sake of giving everyone plenty of time to plan I am able to have everyone over to my place I live at irish rd and I-69. Let me know if you plan on making it. I can try to work out letting us mess around in an undeveloped area of the complex but no idea if they will let me.

Sent from my Q10
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Accurate Race Shop For This Useful Post:
racecaresuaceb (05-07-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #2211
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Just a little tip for all my friends.. because I'm all about watching out for you guys..

When you're changing the fluid in your transmission, make sure you put the washer on the drain plug BEFORE you put it back into the trans and fill up the trans with fluid.

I'm such a moron!

lol

Oh well.. mission accomplished. I am happy with the results.. nice smooth shifter.. still a little notchy into 2nd gear. I feel loads better about the diff.. man there was a lot of metal shavings on that magnetic plug tip.

I have the two diff fill crush washers.. they came in today at Suburban.. I'm not sure I am going to take the time to replace mine.. the used crush washer seemed to seal just fine and I'm not very worried about the fill plug leaking. But for @ZeHeadBanger you are welcome to come pick up your stuff anytime. I work at Delphi in Troy if that's closer to you.. just let me know and I can bring the stuff to work for you.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #2212
ZeHeadBanger
Stuck like Glue

Quote:
Just a little tip for all my friends.. because I'm all about watching out for you guys..

When you're changing the fluid in your transmission, make sure you put the washer on the drain plug BEFORE you put it back into the trans and fill up the trans with fluid.

I'm such a moron!

lol

Oh well.. mission accomplished. I am happy with the results.. nice smooth shifter.. still a little notchy into 2nd gear. I feel loads better about the diff.. man there was a lot of metal shavings on that magnetic plug tip.

I have the two diff fill crush washers.. they came in today at Suburban.. I'm not sure I am going to take the time to replace mine.. the used crush washer seemed to seal just fine and I'm not very worried about the fill plug leaking. But for @ZeHeadBanger you are welcome to come pick up your stuff anytime. I work at Delphi in Troy if that's closer to you.. just let me know and I can bring the stuff to work for you.
I work in Milford, so Troy is a long drive for me! I was planning to pick it up sometime this weekend. I'll let you know in advance to see if you are free or not during that time. Thanks once again!

As I said, I wanna hear your exhaust too. I'm planning on getting one soon but haven't decided yet. Was looking around and the ones that I like are super $$$!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk