follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2014, 02:02 AM   #1
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
OEM 400 System I NEED a picture of a plug!! A not so happy story...

So I'll give a short story.

I bought a year ago a OEM Audio + system. I used it as a complete system for a week. Was it good value for money as a complete package? (Yes). Was the customer service good (yes). However I wanted independent bass control as well as more. Therefore I opted to spend more money on my system. At this time there were no other form fitted sub boxes for the FRS/BRZ so I chose at that time when getting other components installed to keep the sub box in car as it fit and worked well and to drive it with a seperate Hertz amplifier. No problem right?...cut sub wires and remove the back amps and plugs. Issue is (THE PLUG) that the two wires (+&-) connect to, to the small amp has gone missing. I can not locate it and the stereo shop can not either. Admittedly I made mistake by losing this item.

Fair enough step 2. Politely email and contact OEM audio and offer to pay for (THE PLUG). So that I may simple connect or solder plug to sub and quickly re attach back amps, 2 minute job.

Get told I've went against what they advise and messed with an internal part. Well this is not an (internal part) it's a plug nothing more. Also get told they can't sell me one.

So this confuses me and frankly pisses me off because the entire system is basically new. Now because I can't buy a likely 10 cent worth fucking plug I'll be forced to sell only the sub box and throw away the amps, wire, dsp etc?

How can a USA company who designed a product, fully developed it, tested it and now selling them like Skittles NOT sell me a friken plug???

So Daniel with OEM says he still has the request in to "whoever" it is that actually makes them for them apparently I never bought a made in USA or supported by USA product?

I started this request "weeks ago". I wanted to get this back together as my niece is graduating and bought a BRZ. Sadly now with this Fiasco I don't think I'll
Make that deadline.

So that's that we shall see where this goes.

Meanwhile and getting to the meat of this.

ANYONE spare two minutes if they own a OEM 400+ regular or reference system and take a few good pictures of this plug that the sub itself has on end that plugs into small amp on back??

I would REALLY appreciate it to say least.

Maybe just maybe somehow these guys will be understanding enough to sell me a damned plug but if not then seeing one maybe just maybe I can have someone somehow make me something or at least understand how those two wires need to be connected etc.

Many thanks if you can help by showing me a few detailed pictures of this plug!!!

Last edited by OICU812; 05-14-2014 at 04:10 AM.
OICU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OICU812 For This Useful Post:
eddieEndo (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 02:33 AM   #2
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Also (which) slot it gets plugged into. Being over a year I just can't recall. I'm 90% sure it's the top small plug closest to enclosure side however. (Top side)

Last edited by OICU812; 05-14-2014 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:06 AM   #3
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
It's the plug I think that goes into this port...

Or possibly but not likely this small middle port...

If I can't get a plug but could see what two prongs are (+ & -) then I can at least at a minimum solder the wires to those prongs and install quality break away make/female plugs going to sub itself.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:07 AM   #4
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Ok even though I know there are dozens if not more folks that own these systems I don't seem to be getting any responses. If I could get anyone to simply pull back your sub, show me where the sub wires themselves goto exactly so I could solder mine and get my system going I'll pay you $20.00 paypal for like 5 minutes of work. How's that? Seeing show I can't get OEM Audio to help May as well offer up, I need and would like to get this system back operational and that is all I need to do!!
Old 05-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
rmjjensen

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited in WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't have an OEM 400 so I can't help you with the plug/specifics.

However - do you own a voltage meter? You can set the volt meter to resistance (Ohms) and start probing the terminals one by one. Put the negative on the first terminal, positive on the next - you're looking for a low value resistance (anywhere from say 1 Ohm to 8 Ohms). If it's not good (OL - out of limits/infinite, or 0, or a value outside my 1-8 range) then keep the first terminal probed and move the positive to terminal 3.

To know if you have it, use your hand and push on the sub inward - the voltmeter should show a DIFFERENT resistance value. If it did these are the pins for your sub. You can verify further by then taking a 9V battery and connecting the plus/minus terminals to these newly found pins. The sub SHOULD move in one direction (in/out) and HOLD there (although I'm not sure if the 9V is strong enough for the OEM+ to hold it).

Boom, those are the sub terminals.

If you don't have a volt meter you can use the 9V battery trick - instead of probing with the volt meter, you'd move around all the terminals with this small battery (just as I described with the meter) and wait for the sub to move/pop. Please do this with nothing else connected to the actual car.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Ok even though I know there are dozens if not more folks that own these systems I don't seem to be getting any responses. If I could get anyone to simply pull back your sub, show me where the sub wires themselves goto exactly so I could solder mine and get my system going I'll pay you $20.00 paypal for like 5 minutes of work. How's that? Seeing show I can't get OEM Audio to help May as well offer up, I need and would like to get this system back operational and that is all I need to do!!
I get off work in 3 hours. I'll take care of you. If you don't see something by 1PM eastern, shoot me a PM to remind me.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
OICU812 (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I haven't pulled mine yet, but just going over their installation video it doesn't look like any plug goes there?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LytAyXbgS5w#t=359"]Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ | System 400+ Installation - YouTube[/ame]
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
In my pics on the back of the bolted in saddled sub/dsp there are 5 plug in ports. 3 of which come from the front from head unit etc. Two open remaining port. Sub is one wire +&- not as simple as a pos negative terminal. Two remaining plugs have like 4 or 5 pins oddly. I've been writing and waiting from OEM for two weeks now I paid for product in full long ago and it's frustrating really...

Guaranteed it will be really easy to see where sub wires go they're all exterior exposed behind the box. The amp/dsp is only held in my two screws or bolts is all.

100% the sub connects into one of the two ports I show above where I'm pointing to.

Last edited by OICU812; 05-16-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
I get off work in 3 hours. I'll take care of you. If you don't see something by 1PM eastern, shoot me a PM to remind me.
That would be awesome as promised I'll shoot anyone 20 bucks for help as I been trying to be patient and not rude with the OEM people for two weeks now +
Old 05-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
I haven't pulled mine yet, but just going over their installation video it doesn't look like any plug goes there?

In this video it's already hooked up but also doesent explain that cause well it's already tailored in and the amp/dsp is already all hooked up minus user hooking up loom cable from front ya
Old 05-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
ekaj
because racecar

Drives: 2013 BRZ -- SOLD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I pulled mine.

The adaptor:

The adaptor's wires:

The socket it plugs into on the amp:

I hate to say this, but it looks like yours is different. Maybe OEM Audio made an update between the time that you and I bought our kits?
Old 05-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #12
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaj View Post
I pulled mine.

The adaptor:

The adaptor's wires:

The socket it plugs into on the amp:

I hate to say this, but it looks like yours is different. Maybe OEM Audio made an update between the time that you and I bought our kits?

That is 2 wires and what comes from inside your sub box connected to the sub itself???
I'm thinking what you're showing is on the main loom from front into amp not the plug which should have two wires "I assume and think" only going to inside of sub enclosure itself connecting to sub woofer. Plug you show has a shitload of inputs.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #13
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Anyone else? Anyone have style amp shown in first pics like mine? This things only 8 months old...
Old 05-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #14
mush

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #81 of 2500
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
i may be able to get u a pic later, funny thing... i just installed the system yesterday
mush is offline   Reply With Quote