follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-18-2014, 03:02 AM   #1
Zoh

Drives: None
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need some assistance making a decision.

Hey guys,

Let me start by saying that I am not a car person. I appreciate them, but I don't know much about the mechanics; I'm a computer person through and through. That being said, I am learning and getting better at understanding cars and I plan on learning more over time.

I've been browsing these forums for a couple weeks now, doing as much research as I can and I've already figured out that I want one of the twins, but I'm trying to figure out which one will be the best for me and would like some opinions and assistance in making the right decision.

I have little intention of modding the car; this is going to be my first sports car and I'm coming from a 2007 Nissan Versa that I absolutely cannot stand anymore. I just want something that I will enjoy driving, won't break the bank, and will be a car that I'm proud of; I've narrowed this down to the FR-S/BRZ twins at this point and just want to make the best decision.

My focus right now is on fixing up my credit so I can get a better interest rate. Most of the work has been done fixing it up, but I have a few more marks to get off of my credit report and a small amount of credit card debt to pay off; this should all be done hopefully by November. Once this is done, the only debt I will have (Other than student loans which do not go into repayment for quite some time as I am still finishing college) is my car loan for my current car; it has a ridiculous 18.53% APR and I'm upside-down on the loan by about $2000 as of right now. (This should be down to $1500 of negative equity by November.)
I am earning significantly more than I was when I got the other car (At least 60% more than I was making when I bought the last car) and as such can afford something nicer and better.

I'm trying to decide between the FR-S and the BRZ, but with all the special edition models, I'm having trouble figuring out what to do. I really, really love the BRZ.blue in WR Blue Pearl; I love the blue accent stitching to the interior and the other little extras it comes with, but it all comes at a price premium. If the financing is right, it would be at the top end of what I'd be comfortable paying for my monthly premium on the car. Ideally, this is what I want, but I'm fine not getting it unless all the stars align perfectly.

I'm pretty certain I want a BRZ as I love the HID Headlights, I absolutely adore the WR Blue Pearl color, and all of the extra interior features it comes with. I'm not a huge fan of the spoiler, but it's hardly a deal breaker.

On the flip side, the Monogram series FR-S has a lot of the premium features I like and want, though I prefer the BRZ headlight style and the WR Blue Pearl color over any of the color options available for the FR-S.

Finally, a regular FR-S is going to offer me the lowest payments and will be most cost effective for me, but I'm going to be compromising on color and interior (I really don't like the faux-carbon-fiber/space-invader-stye dashboard they used and I prefer the black tachometer and such featured in the BRZ.) Additionally, it is significantly easier to find. I live in Las Vegas, and there are barely any BRZ's that I can find for sale in this city at all, let alone waiting for one in the color I want.

I'm sorry for making this post so verbose and convoluted, but I'm really trying to figure this all out and figure you guys would offer the best insight, being you are all well versed in these cars and the differences, etc.

Finally, I have no real problem with MT vs AT, however I don't actually know how to drive a MT as of right now (I never had anyone who could teach me). I doubt I'd have any problem picking it up quickly, though I do like the idea of the increased MPG on the AT.

I'm not going to be racing this car or modding it either. I just want to own something fun to drive, that I'm proud of, that looks good and I enjoy being in. I already know it's one of the twins. Please help me figure out which one it is!

Thank you all so much for your help and I apologize if I come off a little noobish or anything!
Zoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:17 AM   #2
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome Zoh. I ordered my wrb brz and waited 8 months for it to arrive.
I also have no plans to modify it and just enjoy the fun of driving it.
This is the first new car that i have ever bought , so i decided to choose the colour and spec rather than compromise , like i do with secondhand cars.
Cheers
alan
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:20 AM   #3
eSOLOR

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sounds like your mind is already made up. Go for a BRZ. You won't regret it
eSOLOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:27 AM   #4
Zoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSOLOR View Post
Sounds like your mind is already made up. Go for a BRZ. You won't regret it
I'm definitely heavily inclined towards the BRZ. I'm just trying to figure out if it really is worth the extra money to get the one I want, vs saving money and getting a car I'm sure I'll be happy with, but am compromising to get.

I mean, I can pick up a used 2013 FRS for under $20k, but it won't have many of the features I want.
The BRZ I really want is going to cost me closer to $28k - $30k but I know I will be a lot happier with it; color, headlights, head unit, interior trim, etc.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:45 AM   #5
eSOLOR

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Follow your heart man. If money isn't an issue, get the series blue. If you go with the FRS, you'll regret it every time you see a BRZ on the road. Yeah it may be cheaper, but you won't be as happy. Me, I was kinda in the same boat as you. I like the FRS front bumper better and liked the price better too, but the BRZ interior and extra features won me over. So to answer your question, yes the extra money was worth it (to me).
eSOLOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:22 AM   #6
Zoh

Money is some part of the issue, but at the same time, I don't want to compromise much on something I'm investing heavily in and intend to keep for 5 or so years. I want something I'll be happy with for a while and not regret purchasing (Like my current car.)

I guess at this point it's probably going to end up boiling down to the following:

1. Will I still even be able to find a BRZ.blue in WR Blue Pearl anywhere nearby?
2. If I decide to opt for the Limited, do I buy a new one knowing I can get the exact model and trim I want, or do I wait and hope to a used one comes in in the color I want?
3. Will there be a new limited edition model available by the time I'm ready to buy that may tickle my fancy?
4. What financing offers am I able to get on each one? This will play a big role in what I get.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
SubaruLifer

Drives: 2015 ISM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoh View Post
Finally, a regular FR-S is going to offer me the lowest payments and will be most cost effective for me, but I'm going to be compromising on color and interior (I really don't like the faux-carbon-fiber/space-invader-stye dashboard they used and I prefer the black tachometer and such featured in the BRZ.) Additionally, it is significantly easier to find. I live in Las Vegas, and there are barely any BRZ's that I can find for sale in this city at all, let alone waiting for one in the color I want.
The 2015 BRZs have the "faux-carbon-fiber/space-invader-style dashboard". If you like the silver pieces better, then you'll have to get a 2013 or 2014.

Quote:
1. Will I still even be able to find a BRZ.blue in WR Blue Pearl anywhere nearby?
2. If I decide to opt for the Limited, do I buy a new one knowing I can get the exact model and trim I want, or do I wait and hope to a used one comes in in the color I want?
3. Will there be a new limited edition model available by the time I'm ready to buy that may tickle my fancy?
4. What financing offers am I able to get on each one? This will play a big role in what I get.
1. Impossible to know for sure
2. No actual data to back this up, but it seems like they made more WRB BRZs than any other color, so that should make it easier to find a used or leftover one when the time comes.
3. No.
4. Keep in mind that you can haggle the price of a BRZ at the dealer. In general, Scion dealers aren't going to budge from their "pure price".
SubaruLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Don't sell yourself short. Get exactly what you want, even if it means paying a little extra.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Don't let the guys at the dealership take advantage of you. Got my '14 BRZ limited brand new for $25,400, which was the exact same as I would have paid for a new FRS. I'm leaving the car very close to stock as well and have been driving the crap out of it. At 10k miles now and haven't regretted trading in my sti for a second!

That being said, if you can get an FRS for a lot cheaper, I'd go with that. Yes, the BRZ has more interior amenities, but there's something to be said for the simplicity of a base FRS.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #10
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have little intention of modding the car; this is going to be my first sports car and I'm coming from a 2007 Nissan Versa that I absolutely cannot stand anymore. I just want something that I will enjoy driving, won't break the bank, and will be a car that I'm proud of; I've narrowed this down to the FR-S/BRZ twins at this point and just want to make the best decision.

My focus right now is on fixing up my credit so I can get a better interest rate. Most of the work has been done fixing it up, but I have a few more marks to get off of my credit report and a small amount of credit card debt to pay off; this should all be done hopefully by November. Once this is done, the only debt I will have (Other than student loans which do not go into repayment for quite some time as I am still finishing college) is my car loan for my current car; it has a ridiculous 18.53% APR and I'm upside-down on the loan by about $2000 as of right now. (This should be down to $1500 of negative equity by November.)
I am earning significantly more than I was when I got the other car (At least 60% more than I was making when I bought the last car) and as such can afford something nicer and better.
Are you planning on rolling over the negative equity into a new loan? Cause that's what it sounds like. What's your credit score? That and your income will have a huge effect on whether or not you can get a good rate and if 18.53% is something you got recently(a year or two), I don't see how much better it could be in 3 months. If you currently owe $2000 and it'll only drop to $1500 in November, how the hell do you expect to be able to pay the note on a new $25k+ loan with no down payment?

Personally, I wouldn't even consider buying a brand new car with negative equity on another because that can cause all sorts of problems when trading it in and financing a new one, but that's just me.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AznBRZer For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-18-2014), Tainen (08-21-2014), thill (08-21-2014), x1UP (08-19-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
pche
Guy on internet

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Subaru>Scion
pche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
One thing I will say is that, if you haven't already, make sure to take the total cost of ownership into account before making the call. I'm fairly certain either twin will cost more than a Versa to insure. There is also the cost of using premium octane over whatever you're using now, not to mention lower fuel economy. If the only thing you're budgeting is the car payment, you may be in for a surprise.

That considered, so long as the BRZ fits in your budget and it's the car you really want, go for it! I traded a '12 WRX on a Series.Blue two weeks ago and have already put just over 1600 miles on it. Absolutely no regrets.
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
OMG 18.53% APR

go to dealer to see those cars in person and test drive and you will know what your really want. the series blue carbon fiber look dash trim is very nice, it is different from limited/premium.
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #14
Chee-Hu

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
My suggestion is to make sure you get what you really want ie color, accessories, etc. instead of taking anything to avoid any/all regrets down the road.

Good luck and congrats if you do decide to purchase either car.
Chee-Hu is offline   Reply With Quote